Brackets for aux lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that the design parameters were modified for the purpose of mounting driving lights.
I was "poking fun"
Oops. It went right over my head.

I guess I have made a few snide remarks. :rolleyes:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally don't like the the FZ1 mirrors. To me they look like something out of A Bug's Life
:p

Yes I have read the entire thread.

Yes I understand the implications of the previously discussed spacer.

Hence the "cogitating".

My 20 years as a mechanical engineer has taught me that lots of people are capable of conceiving of many different ways to solve mechanical problems.

Thanks for your concern.

scmagna

I accidentally deleted my pictures from post #55 due to the "free" space restrictions with the picture posting site I was using. I have them reinstalled so you can take a look at the original spacers. Hope they help with any ideas you may come up with.

Yes I have read the entire thread.
Yes I understand the implications of the previously discussed spacer.
I didn't mean to step on your toes. The history of the forum is that many people do not follow an entire thread but merely come to the last page. I assumed that might be the case. As long as you understand why the spacer concept, in two different forms, was abandoned and the pursuit of an extension began.

I'm sure the NewGen owners will be appreciative. Options are a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe2Lmaker tells me that the mounting bolts for the mirror brackets are 6mm, 1.062" apart. Any concensus?

Can anybody tell me what the dimensions of the spacer is that lays on the fairing? I miked it out to about .96" X 2.22" with my cheapie caliper.

Also, what is the geometric relationship between the spacer profile and the mounting hole pattern? Previous posts seem to indicate that the hole pattern is not symmetrically centered on the spacer.

Thanks for any help. I am working on a variation of the mirror spacer that some of you may like.

Kurt

Joe2Lmaker tells me that the mounting bolts for the mirror brackets are 6mm, 1.062" apart. Any concensus?
Can anybody tell me what the dimensions of the spacer is that lays on the fairing? I miked it out to about .96" X 2.22" with my cheapie caliper.

Also, what is the geometric relationship between the spacer profile and the mounting hole pattern? Previous posts seem to indicate that the hole pattern is not symmetrically centered on the spacer.

Thanks for any help. I am working on a variation of the mirror spacer that some of you may like.

Kurt
Kurt,

I got knocked down by a nasty bug last week. During that time I didn't have access to my notes or I would have replied earlier.

When I sent you the PM at the end of January, the dimension I gave you was for the distance between the holes (centerline to centerline) on my original spacer.

That dimension was 1.1062". I guessed that Yamaha's print dimension was 28mm [1.10236].

The 1.062" you are asking about is incorrect.

Kurt
Kurt,

I got knocked down by a nasty bug last week. During that time I didn't have access to my notes or I would have replied earlier.

When I sent you the PM at the end of January, the dimension I gave you was for the distance between the holes (centerline to centerline) on my original spacer.

That dimension was 1.1062". I guessed that Yamaha's print dimension was 28mm [1.10236].

The 1.062" you are asking about is incorrect.

I think my son had the same bug. Bad stuff for sure. I'm glad you're recovering. Thanks for the update on the hole spacing. Not to be a pest, but can you clarify if the holes are symmetrically centered on the spacer? Thanks.

Kurt

I've had Joes brackets installed now for a few weeks with the soltek lights.

The only practical way to mount them was under the outboard end. I wanted to clamp them inboard a bit

but there wasn't quite enough room.

They work fine for about 50 miles then mirror vibration starts. I found the nuts on both shoulder bolts working loose.

I didnt use any loctite on threads as I want to return to stock after this,and would only delay the problem.

Bottom line is the solteks, at 2 lbs each are a bit much as mounted. Drilling a 3/8th" hole to solidly mount the light bracket would require lengthening the bracket even more.

These are beautifully machined and will work well with less weight and bulk. I'll be the first in line to buy the 4 inch version, it sure is nice to see the whole mirror!

Some Pics

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

[Devil's Advocate]

How would these compare looks wise to say, a pair of FZ1 mirrors with the aux light brackets mounted underneath?

[/Devil's Advocate]

Well, it was worth a try.

The idea was to be able to use one part to solve two issues.

If it worked it would have been more economical.

If it worked and looked good, that would be an added bonus.

This Forum has offered so much to me that I wanted to give a little back.

Well, it was worth a try.The idea was to be able to use one part to solve two issues.

If it worked it would have been more economical.

If it worked and looked good, that would be an added bonus.

This Forum has offered so much to me that I wanted to give a little back.
Understood. And I think we would all have to say that you really do good work, Joe. Beautiful work.

I wouldn't have even offered that up if you hadn't already shot holes in it as being financially unfeasible.

So what's next?

I copied J2L's idea for mirror extensions, albiet the design is a bit more blocky. The offset is 1.5" and I like the rearward view much better.

DSC02998.jpg

DSC02992.jpg

I copied J2L's idea for mirror extensions, albiet the design is a bit more blocky. The offset is 1.5" and I like the rearward view much better.
I love it!

I tend to over engineer everything. It's not a bad trait to have in the line of work I'm in, but my solutions get expensive.

Good job!

Make it look seamless, mount solid, no vibe and then sell me one!
If you'd go buy the "perfect" motorcycle, you wouldn't need to change anything.

Until then, people design and build what they can, either you can buy one or not, but I haven't noticed that these have been offered for sale to anyone. For myself, I have the GenI, FZ-1 mirrors on mine and I like them. For the guys (and gals) who own GenII FJRs, the above are a couple of ideas these men are trying that will extend themirrors for a better view. IMO, these two are the first to create something that actually works...refinement to follow.

If it ain't yer cuppa tee, passit buy! Er mebbe dee-sign en musheen sumpin' fer yerownseff.

From another thread:

[Looking at your aluminium side spacers, do they need to be so long? Mine are 2" and give me the clearance I need and are mounted on a 45 degree angle, so maybe a 1" to 1.5" length would suffice. The cnc finish is excellent. Your design looks good and is easier to fit than mine which involved removing part of the inner fairing.
Andy
I modified the CAD model but I haven't yet made any of the fixtures needed to machine them.

mirror%20spacer%20version%203.jpg

I have an idea for a bar that is anchored on the left and right mirror extensions and goes out in front of the windshield. Then I could mount lights to the bar.