Brackets for aux lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jet,

What I got from madmike's post is that these still might not be up to the task when it comes to supporting lights.

I'm going to machine a pair and get them in the mail to you, but I don't expect you to buy lights.

I was hoping for a volunteer with:

• a GenII bike (and factory mirrors)

• living in a winter riding location

• currently running auxiliary lights

I thought that if this volunteer could mount their lights to these brackets, we would know if this was going to work or not.

Joe.

I can get the halogen lights with no problems. When I'm done with them I can give them to my kid for his off road machine. I just want to make sure that I use one which is consistent with what most people use.

Besides, this is pretty fun doing this! After all, what else do you get to do in winter?? I don't mean to rub it in, but I'm off for a ride to the coast tomorrow with some goldwing co-workers. Partly sunny and mid 60"s for temps.

Mike,So with your experience the best way to mount the aux lights will be a bracket mounted between the mirror lower base and the fairing?

I looked at all the lights you mentioned in your earlier post (#6), Due to it being right after the holidays, my seat going out to Russell in 10 days, plus a couple of other financial commitments, I can't afford to buy PHID's, but will buy halogen lights to start. My goal is just to make sure there are no interference/ mounting issues with the brackets.

If I can mount the lights at the same time that Joe sends the brackets, the pictures would provide a better representation of what else can be mounted to the brackets.

jet,What I got from madmike's post is that these still might not be up to the task when it comes to supporting lights.

I'm going to machine a pair and get them in the mail to you, but I don't expect you to buy lights.
Yes, that was the point of my comment. I've run 2 different types of halogen lights (1 set of PIAA 1100s and 1 set of Hellas w/brackets from Garauld). They certainly give a better spread of light for night driving AND I could get away with using them for visibility in traffic during daylight.

Most HID lights are heavier and require a thicker bracket or one with an extra brace. I'm now running Soltek lights and they NEED a bracket as substantial as the one Skyway makes. BTW, Skyway brackets are not only thicker, they mount the lights more forward and less to the side to help protect the lights in case of a tip-over.

The second issue would be the space required to mount a light. I no longer have the Hellas I was using, but I think they were approx. 2" X 4" oval-shaped (My Solteks are 5" diam.; 4" long.) which might not fit under the bracket you are making. If not, that would mean making a secondary bracket from the 1/4 X20 hole, adding to the torque load in a different dimension. Thus my suggestion to use Garauld's, Skyway's or a similar style bracket.

Last edited by a moderator:
The second issue would be the space required to mount a light. I no longer have the Hellas I was using, but I think they were approx. 2" X 4" oval-shaped (My Solteks are 5" diam.; 4" long.) which might not fit under the bracket you are making. If not, that would mean making a secondary bracket from the 1/4 X20 hole, adding to the torque load in a different dimension. Thus my suggestion to use Garauld's, Skyway's or a similar style bracket.
What if the lights were mounted on top?

That was pretty much what I was trying to ask before.

Looking at tha Soltek lights on the skyway website, I was wondering if the inside bolt, which will be going through the top of the bracket into the lower mirror mount could also be be used to mount the light assy.

The light assy would sit on top of the lower mirror mount and bracket. That should be a secure location both in the wind and for tip-overs.

I guess the issue is how much clearence will be available between the mirror and windshield? And then what happens when you use a different windshield than stock?? And if it whistles??

That was pretty much what I was trying to ask before.
Looking at tha Soltek lights on the skyway website, I was wondering if the inside bolt, which will be going through the top of the bracket into the lower mirror mount could also be be used to mount the light assy.

The light assy would sit on top of the lower mirror mount and bracket. That should be a secure location both in the wind and for tip-overs.
Well...if we were closer I'd ride over and let you mock one up. The Solteks are fairly heavy, IIRC around 4 lbs each. That might be a lot of weight added to the aluminum extension, but I'm not an engineer or machinist, so I have no experience with the strength-length-flex.

BTW, PIAA 1100s mount "vertical", not horizontal, so they would require an angle bracket.

I guess the issue is how much clearence will be available between the mirror and windshield? And then what happens when you use a different windshield than stock?? And if it whistles??
There you go again...trying to please everyone rather than letting them solve their own clearance issues. :huh: Keep in mind that some are going to buy the light mounting brackets. Others may want to attach "hand wings" to the pre-drilled bracket.

Hey, new progress! I've got Solteks we could try if you like. As mentioned they are heavy and I think mounting on top would be the best if there is room. The bracket mounts with a single bolt. I am working today and cannot measure the

bracket length and width until the AM.

I have a suggestion that might reduce the complexity of building 'tip over clearance' into the overall design equation.

I'd say, if you've already got your feejer going for a slide on its side, you've got a lot more to worry about than a 100 dollar aux light.

(ducking)

I have a suggestion that might reduce the complexity of building 'tip over clearance' into the overall design equation.
I'd say, if you've already got your feejer going for a slide on its side, you've got a lot more to worry about than a 100 dollar aux light.

(ducking)
More like $300 each.

Hey, new progress! I've got Solteks we could try if you like. As mentioned they are heavy and I think mounting on top would be the best if there is room. The bracket mounts with a single bolt. I am working today and cannot measure the bracket length and width until the AM.
I went out and measured my brackets:

They are an angled "U" shape.

The base is 2 1/8", they then angle upward 45 degrees--that piece is 2 1/4", to a final outside width of 5 1/8". The screw that mounts into the side of the light is 3" from the bottom of the base.

More like $300 each.
Bloody Nora - 300 each side?
Yep! Lookie here! Though most of us got in on This Group Buy.

Uhm....er....portable daylight is expensive! :blink:

Pickax,

Savannah is 3 and a half hours away. St Petersburg is 5 and a half hours away. Daytona would be what?? 8 to 10 hours away? I'll be getting my seat back from Russell the last week of this month! I know it's going to need a test ride. The mirror brackets themselves are going to need a test ride.... Hmmm..... ;)

I gave it my best shot, but I didn't quite get them finished. I did a minor design modification which was supposed to reduce fixturing and machine setups. The downside was that my solution was going to raise my material costs,.. a lot. I didn't figure that out until after the design had been tweaked. Oh well, I finished the fixture and figured out how to get the most parts out of the least material.

A word about lights: I'm trying to design the brackets to work with the HID Fuego Lights. I figure if they can work with those monsters, they will work with anything.

There are less expensive options when it comes to lighting. RAM sells a spot light that's about $70. It looks like this:
ramb152riu2.jpg
An added benefit of something like that might be that it's removable and you could use it as a work light. Plus it can be pointed to the side to hunt for points during a rally or look for addresses while delivering pizzas.

pickax, PM me with your contact info and mailing address. I’ve got two sets started, and I’ll send you one of them. I’m working with madmike’s measurements and the dimensions on page 6 of the Baja Designs catalog (link). One very important piece of information that I need is the length of the mounting stud. I believe the diameter is 3/8, but my bracket is .620” [15.75mm] thick. I’m pretty sure a counterbore will be needed. Also, is the mounting stud hollow or solid?

jet mechanic, I'm still planning on adding the 1/4-20 threaded hole to your brackets. I could also just finish them and leave them plain. Let me know what you think.

Joe,

When you say you're leaving them plain, you mean the finish? If so, they are the prototypes, go ahead and leave them plain. If they work out I was going to send my set to Gerauld for matching color paint.

Looking forward to seeing them...

One very important piece of information that I need is the length of the mounting stud. I believe the diameter is 3/8, but my bracket is .620” [15.75mm] thick. I’m pretty sure a counterbore will be needed. Also, is the mounting stud hollow or solid?
Mine are attached with a 1" long SAE bolt and nylock, not a "stud". I think they are 3/8" (9/16" bolt head). A bolt and some blue loctite should be enough to hold them.

When you say you're leaving them plain, you mean the finish?
I meant the only holes they would have in them will be the ones needed for mounting the mirrors. You may not want 1/4-20 threaded holes if you're going with halogens, and the location of the holes might depend on which lights you choose. I'm taking an educated guess on the location of the 3/8 hole for the pickax's Fuegos

I'll leave the aluminum bare with no surface treatment.

Mine are attached with a 1" long SAE bolt and nylock, not a "stud". I think they are 3/8" (9/16" bolt head). A bolt and some blue loctite should be enough to hold them.
Well, I could put a tapped hole in there. 3/8-16?

Thanks MM2 for the measurements, I can only add that there is exactly 1/2 inch of threads protruding fom the bracket with the supplied 3/8 bolt. A tapped hole would work if you think the threads would hold up to the weight (2lb.3oz.).

Or if you want to drill through I could get a longer bolt/washer setup.

Joe: PMing info to you.

JM: 8-10 hours is spot on to Daytona depending on I-77 traffic, come on down anytime for a shakedown run. Bike week is the first week of March, hope we get plenty of board bro's this year.

pickax, We're going to have problems with the Fuegos.

I added a 2D representation to my model just to check the fit. This is how it looked:

Left%20bracket%20with%20Fuego.jpg

It looks pretty good so far, right?

This is what happened when I scaled it into a photo of the bike:

DSC03426_Cantilever_Fuego.JPG

I can't get over how big those damn things are. There's no need to watch your mailbox. I've gotta think about this...

I was afraid of that as well, my skyway mount pushes the light forward enough.

Not to worry, still a worthy farkle to get the full mirror view. Stay with the RAM mount for video or smaller lights.