Bridgestone BT 023 GT Update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
Here are my tires after 4100 miles. We're now hitting hard freezes every night and my riding's probably over.

The front is still almost perfectly round with a very slight "band" in the center that's starting to show. The rear still looks good with a slight flat spot beginning.

I've found the tires to be very smooth and provide a lot of confidence, feeling sticky in the corners. The front is definitely a totally different tire than the infamous 021's which cupped out on me big time in under 4000 miles.

While Bridgestone didn't do themselves any favors with the 021's, I think they have redeemed themselves with this tire. I'm thinking I'll get over 5000 for sure on them, maybe even 6000.

Here's a few photos after my final-season wash and clean for storage yesterday:

Front:

DSCF0663.jpg

DSCF0662.jpg

Front profile--Still round :)

DSCF0664.jpg

Rear:

DSCF0665.jpg

DSCF0666.jpg

SECOND UPDATE:

At 6800 miles, the rear is DONE. I've got some steel showing, I'd say it's time for a swap. The front, however, is still ROUND and with a lot of tread. Overall, I've been very happy with these tires. I'm not complaining about the mileage, as 4500 was the furthest I've gotten on a rear before now. Here's pics...

Front:

BridgestoneBT023F.jpg

Rear:

BridgestoneBY023R.jpg

BridgestoneBT023R2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also very happy so far with the BT-023. I have about 4000 km (2500 miles) on mine and there's little noticeable wear. They feel way better in the corners that the old 021s did.

By the way, still riding here in Calgary, even though we had snow on Friday morning. Went for a ride today to see a friend off on a six month trip to South America and back. If anyone is interested his website is here: Clicky.

Heated grips and Gerbing Jacket extends my riding season by at least a month on either side of the season.

ian

I also have a positive report on the BT-023's. I put a set on before NAFO 2010 and rode over 4000 miles so far. 1700 miles on the Interstates down and back and a lot of technical two lane riding in between. Grip seems to compare to the Dunlop RoadSmart (which I loved except for the mileage) and handling is very confidence inspiring. So far so good!

I just checked my BT023 GT tires and after 4000 miles - no complaints. I am hoping for 11,000 miles or it's back to the Avons. So far, the tires have taken me from Phoenix to SW-FOG in Taos, 2 trips up the Devil's Highway/Coronado Trail/US 191/US 666, and several day trips from Phoenix to Payson. Much confidence in the twisty roads, tar snakes are no problem, good stability at speed, no problems on the super-slab. I even rode in a very mild shower but no experience in heavy rain (and no plans to check this out unless I have to).

Also using the 023 GT here and very happy with it. Just have the front on now as the oem 021 rear has some life in it. Only have about 1500 miles on it but it's very stable, good grip and showing no wear at all now.

With the way it's going, would bet on maybe 10k miles without too much trouble...

Also very happy with 023 GT. 6,000 miles, including a 2,000 mile recreational loop from Washington to northern California with three friends on sportier chain-driven rides - GXR 1,000, Sprint ST, and VFR 800. I kept up OK, and felt like I had a much faster "comfort zone" than I would have had on the stock Metzlers. Most of my other 4,000 miles have been commuting, but my 25 mile commute each way includes 10 miles of relatively open winding two-lane. The tires don't look half done.

The upgrade from the Metzlers to the Bridgestones was the most dramatic tire change I've ever made.

I've already burned through a rear one (BT23). I got right at 7k miles on it and still had a bit of tread left (was down to the wear bars,I put it on right before my loop of the western states I did this summer (AZ,NM,TX,OK,CO,UT,NV and back to Ca). I was getting ready for a Oregon trip so I went ahead and changed it out for another. I really like the way it wore and handled.

I also have a positive report on the BT-023's.
I'm also very happy so far with the BT-023
023s regular or 023 "GTs"...?? :unsure:
I think you have to go with the GT for the FJR. When the manufacturer lists the FJR as one of the specific bikes the tire was designed for, why go with the non-GT? Also, another member reported that his 023 front cupped out as bad as the 021, and I'm guessing that had to be the non-GT as they are definitely a completely different tire.

Glad to hear positive news on the 023’s. I just put a set of these on last week, cost me 625 freaking bucks. (I was stranded with a front tire failure and was towed to the closest MC Shop.)

Not my first tire of choice, but it was what the shop had in stock.

New rubber to continuing my day of riding was more important than the overpaying!

I think you have to go with the GT for the FJR. When the manufacturer lists the FJR as one of the specific bikes the tire was designed for, why go with the non-GT?
I agree -- but, (with different tires) there have been many posts on this Forum claiming otherwise -- that there's no advantage to a "heavy-duty" model.

Also, another member reported that his 023 front cupped out as bad as the 021, and I'm guessing that had to be the non-GT as they are definitely a completely different tire.
Yes, in this case (at least with the front) the "GT" version even has a different tread design.

I guess, given the previous (Forum) discussions on the merits of so-called 'heavy duty' versions, it would be good to know if FJR riders were, in fact, only having successes with the "GTs". :unsure:

So put a pair of non-GT's on your bike and tell us how it goes. You will probably have the experience someone already did here (see post #11): https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=127915
Maybe you can be #2 to start conclusively establishing that the model made for our bike is better than the model that's not made for our bike....
I'm with you brother...

Jes sayin' -- there's many on this Forum that have disagreed in the past (saying, even, that the non-heavy-duty versions were better -- or, at least a better deal).

Certainly, I too am looking for the best tire for the FJR.

(looks-like it may be the 023 'GT' ? :unsure: )

Jes sayin' -- there's many on this Forum that have disagreed in the past (saying, even, that the non-heavy-duty versions were better -- or, at least a better deal).

The problem with the "Heavy Bike Spec" tires in the past, has typically been the manufacturers chose to compensate for the additional tire stiffness (and perhaps slightly increased production costs) by decreasing tread depth on the special spec tires. So even though the special spec tires may have performed better, the cost/mile to use them was significantly higher than the regular spec of the same series tire.

The Pirelli Diablo Strada "E-spec" was an example of just such a practice.

I'm glad you guys are testing BT-023 GT spec tires. Now hurry up and wear out 4-5 sets, then report back. How about we get two people running them with top boxes too.

Anybody measured tread depth of both GT and non-GT 023's yet, to make sure there is no difference?

I am at 6000 miles on my 23GT's and they look almost new. I keep expecting wear but I have to look hard to see it. I can't imagine not going over 10,000 miles on these tires. I live is flat South Texas. Hard to wear them out anywhere but center.

BGH60

The problem with the "Heavy Bike Spec" tires in the past, has typically been the manufacturers chose to compensate for the additional tire stiffness (and perhaps slightly increased production costs) by decreasing tread depth on the special spec tires. So even though the special spec tires may have performed better, the cost/mile to use them was significantly higher than the regular spec of the same series tire.

The Pirelli Diablo Strada "E-spec" was an example of just such a practice.

I'm glad you guys are testing BT-023 GT spec tires. Now hurry up and wear out 4-5 sets, then report back. How about we get two people running them with top boxes too.

Anybody measured tread depth of both GT and non-GT 023's yet, to make sure there is no difference?
I run with a top box all the time, hence the name. Ran side cases also for the 2,000-mile recreational California loop described above and below, mostly top case only for daily rides. Rarely two-up, and when my wife's on the back I run slower.

I ran pretty hard in California, keeping up with my brother's VFR and a buddy's GXR 1000 - the Sprint ST rider followed behind. Fast days on the loop balled up some tread near the edges, left no chicken strips, and ground the pegs, all starting while the tires were nearly new. My 4,000 miles since have been much more relaxed on average, but include some reasonably quick riding.

All that, the 023 GT's still look good with over 6,000 total miles. I plan to ride them into the winter - already over Blewett Pass at 27 degrees F - and to replace with another set only when the wear bars show. At this rate, I'm guessing January or so.

I'll chime in on this one since my 023GTs just crossed 5k miles. The rear clearly has a flat spot in the center and the front is harder to read. half that mileage has been a lot of mixed riding - twisties and straight stuff, but not much pure slab - and the other half was a trip from NorCal to Phoenix, so a fair amount of slab there. I can definitely feel the difference with regard to turn in now. The bike just doesn't transition as smoothly. Too bad since there is a ton of tread left on the tires.

Normally I replace both tires at the same time. On my previous bikes - I'm new to the FJR - I've tried to replace the rear only, but that never worked. Curious to know whether anyone else - especially you finicky types like me - has gone this route and if so how its working out. Also curious to know how the 023GTs compare to the PR2s since I might try those next.