BT-21's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZrider

Reaction score
:rolleyes:

The OEM BT-20's that came on the bike started getting a flat spot in the center (not enough twisty road riding) and the wear bar was getting close at 6500 miles so I ordered BT-21's on the recommendation of a friend. So far with about 300 miles on them they feel very good. The bike seems very stable and planted riding through the closest twisty road, Hwy 83.

I'm hoping the softer sidewalls will wear faster than the 20's did. I wish the tires went a little further than 6,500, I probably could have squeezed 8,000 out of them. My OEM Michelins went 12,000 on my BMW...................different type of tire though.

AZ

:rolleyes:
The OEM BT-20's that came on the bike started getting a flat spot in the center (not enough twisty road riding) and the wear bar was getting close at 6500 miles so I ordered BT-21's on the recommendation of a friend. So far with about 300 miles on them they feel very good. The bike seems very stable and planted riding through the closest twisty road, Hwy 83.

I'm hoping the softer sidewalls will wear faster than the 20's did. I wish the tires went a little further than 6,500, I probably could have squeezed 8,000 out of them. My OEM Michelins went 12,000 on my BMW...................different type of tire though.

AZ

Yes AZ the sides will defiately dissapear faster than the center and on the front you will soon notice a definate like where the center compound is. Tire pressures are even more important IMHO with these and i'd keep them on the high side of recommendations. I have 10,000 km(6200 miles) on mine and see that the front and back will both need replacing in about another 2000 km. Major ridge develops on the center of the front but i don't notice any handling issues.

I ran them on my SV1000S before I got rid of it and I thought they were phenominal! I loved the way the felt going out a road. My 020's are getting to have around 5200 miles on them and I'll prolly replace them soon with the 021s. I do alot of slab riding for my commute to work, but living in WV I have TONS of great curves to go put them thru their paces!

I'm at around 8500 miles on my set of BT-021's. Very happy with them and if it wasn't for the Pilot Road II's coming out soon, I'd be buying another set. If for some reason the PR-II's don't cut it, I'll just got back to the BT-021's.

I have over 5000 km. on my 021s and not showing any noticable wear. I like them in all conditions except the front tire has been noisy on many road surfaces.....though is seems to be getting quieter with distance?

Gordo.

Yeah, that front tire has a noise to it. There was one post where the tire failed. He also said that it made noise. I'm hoping these wear OK. It's not that I enjoy tossing money away but the bike with the Bridgestones really performs.

AZ

Are they supposed to be a dual compound tire?....dumb ass :rolleyes: inquiring minds would like to know?....

I can see a definite "edge" in the rubber on the rear tire. I rode back from Tucson today up Hwy 83 and the bike was about 10mph faster in the corners than with the OEM 020's. The bike just feels really balanced and smooth. I'm no tire expert but these 021's really make a difference. It just feels OK even though the bike is going faster. :rolleyes:

AZ

Last edited by a moderator:
The new Battlax BT-021 is designed to provide a wide range of heavier sport touring motorcycles, from 600 cc to 1200 cc,
CLICK

Are you guys suicidal? it clearly says 600 to 1200!
Hmmmm seems all the new Connie 14s are suicide machines then?
Are they getting BT-021s on them? holy crap! Death traps!
I was thinking about try a set out at EOM, but what started out as a smart ass comment kinda got me thinking last night. The FJR is a heavy bike, and it is over 1200 cc, if you put those on, will there be warranty issues if the tires fail, or the belts separate, or whatever the issues have been.

You all remember what happened when Ford placed Bridgestones on their heavy SUVs and used them outside of the Bridgestone specifications.

225_rollover.gif

yea, it might be a bit of chicken little, but I wear ATGATT because I like to be safe (or at least think I'm safer). I'd not like to find myself on an under rated tire while "at excessive speeds at the track".

The new Battlax BT-021 is designed to provide a wide range of heavier sport touring motorcycles, from 600 cc to 1200 cc,
CLICK

Are you guys suicidal? it clearly says 600 to 1200!
Hmmmm seems all the new Connie 14s are suicide machines then?
Are they getting BT-021s on them? holy crap! Death traps!
I was thinking about try a set out at EOM, but what started out as a smart ass comment kinda got me thinking last night. The FJR is a heavy bike, and it is over 1200 cc, if you put those on, will there be warranty issues if the tires fail, or the belts separate, or whatever the issues have been.

You all remember what happened when Ford placed Bridgestones on their heavy SUVs and used them outside of the Bridgestone specifications.

225_rollover.gif

yea, it might be a bit of chicken little, but I wear ATGATT because I like to be safe (or at least think I'm safer). I'd not like to find myself on an under rated tire while "at excessive speeds at the track".
well, you pulled that off of the Euro site, what do they know?

The US site has weight limits 805 rear and 520 front.

How to decipher max weights:

"This is the maximum weight that the tire is capable of handling when properly inflated, including the weight of the motorcycle, rider, passenger, and gear. Each tire will have a maximum load rating. The combination of these load ratings is the total amount of weight that the tires are capable of supporting."

The combination of those limits is 1325 ibs.

Exactly how many of you people are going to weigh and bring along a cumalative of 705 pounds? I am glad to say that at two up and fully loaded, my FJR is carrying less than 350 pounds putting us easily within the weight limits of the BT021's. I bet you are safe too :)