BT-21's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone heard any complaints about the BT-021's W-O-B-B-L-I-N-G like those crappy AVONS?
WW
Such as this little tale? the Jason story
Scab,

Well you got me curious... I must admit, I read through all all the posts on the "Jason story." Thanks for the info... It sounds like he might of cupped them very bad from running too low of pressure for too long. Seems like all the other guys reporting really love the 021's. I may give them a run.. Unless I can make it til the PilotRoad II's come out..... I must say the Metz 6's have been a very good higher mileage tire... Just my .02

WW

Anyone heard any complaints about the BT-021's W-O-B-B-L-I-N-G like those crappy AVONS?
WW
Such as this little tale? the Jason story
Scab,

Well you got me curious... I must admit, I read through all all the posts on the "Jason story." Thanks for the info... It sounds like he might of cupped them very bad from running too low of pressure for too long. Seems like all the other guys reporting really love the 021's. I may give them a run.. Unless I can make it til the PilotRoad II's come out..... I must say the Metz 6's have been a very good higher mileage tire... Just my .02

WW
So running a tire at 33psi for 150-200 miles will cause it to sound like a tire from a 4 x 4 truck? Don't think so...

Bottom line, I had a bad tire. When replaced with a new one all is well. Not my favorite set of tires by any means but not bad. Only going to get 4000 miles out of the rear.

JW

Last edited by a moderator:
I really do like these tires. Mine never made any odd noises, never got a wobble out of them, nothing. They took very little weight to balance, and have lasted quite a while (8500 miles and still have a little tread before hitting the wear bars). While they don't turn in as quickly as the Azaro's, they are good all around tires in my book.

I really want to try out the Pilot Road 2's but since they're not out I'm going to have to rule them out. I need to get a set of tires mounted next weekend, and I don't want to have to wait to the last minute to buy my tires. Out of sheer morbid curiosity I'm seriously considering buying a set of Shiniko Ravens to put on the bike. If I snap out of it I'll be mounting up another set of BT-021's next weekend.

JW,

Very well could of I suppose... I can't say... CAN YOU? If you had a bad tire, I would think it would of been bad from the start...

How many miles do you think it takes to damage the structure of a tire? 150-200 miles sounds like enough to me?.?.. Heat, heavy bike equals a lot of stress. I can see why you could get upset about such a simple maintenance issue and the repercussions. I suspect that is why Bridgestone would not give you any satisfaction. Lesson learned on not trusting tire change fellas and not checking it for yourself.

WW

If you go to the Bridgestone website, the 021's have been officially listed, by Bridgestone, to the 600 to 1400 cc range.

Well, I took my first lengthy and twisty ride with 021's today.

Zero shake at any time.

Good turn in, better than most IMO.

Grip - I pushed them a bit today. As good as Avon for grip.

Speed run - often other tires would get a weird vibration at speed. I went fast enough to know they don't vibrate at speed.

Frankly, the only tests left to check out are:

1) Longevity

2) Does their grip reduce with wear?

3) Will the fronts cup?

With 400 miles on them so far, I am very pleased with their performance.

BTW, they are also the least expensive tires I've ever put on the bike...nice bonus.

I just finished a ride today that ran the 021 over 2500 miles. I like the tires no wobble speeds to 135 MPH lean angle to the edge of the tire no slip, no spin, almost no weight needed to balance. I could get another 500 or 750 miles out of the rear, but will replace before leaving for the EOM on 9-13-07. All the miles were put on the tires when it was hot and I ran high speed most of the time along with hitting redline through the gears. The center does don’t have a flat spot mostly do to the twisty’s in the area. I have another one in stock and will probably buy 2 rears and a front in a few weeks. :rolleyes: :yahoo:

My 2cents

Scott Maire

LaGrange KY

I just finished a ride today that ran the 021 over 2500 miles. I like the tires no wobble speeds to 135 MPH lean angle to the edge of the tire no slip, no spin, almost no weight needed to balance. I could get another 500 or 750 miles out of the rear, but will replace before leaving for the EOM on 9-13-07. All the miles were put on the tires when it was hot and I ran high speed most of the time along with hitting redline through the gears. The center does don’t have a flat spot mostly do to the twisty’s in the area. I have another one in stock and will probably buy 2 rears and a front in a few weeks. :rolleyes: :yahoo: My 2cents

Scott Maire

LaGrange KY
What is the total mileage so far?

I have just over 3K miles on my 021's now, and have had no problems. The front is still loud, but getting less so as the miles go up. The rear is just barely starting to get a flat spot, but you really have to feel for it. I am having another set put on before I head out to CFO, since I don't want to have to worry about tires for the trip out. I'm looking forward to seeing if the 2nd set will also be as loud.

Had 2 BT-021's mounted/balanced today at the local dealer. On the ride home, I rode w/ no ear plugs to listen for the front tire noise. Yep, it's there but not overly obnoxious. When I get more miles on the new rubber, I'll let you know how the sound increases/decreases. Reminds me of "knobby's on the interstate."

Just a quick update:

Rode up from Tucson on Hwy 83 and these tires are amazing. It seems like the FJR is on rails. I have a whine in the front tire at about 50mph and it's noticable. I can't see or feel anything wrong with the tire though so I hope Jason just had a bad front tire.

Scab, the use of ear plugs and the new "Ice" polish on the bike dropped the engine temp at least another 1/2 bar. :rolleyes:

AZ

I'm sitting at around 8500 miles. I would estimate I have about 1000 miles left on the tire. Unfortunately I have a ride coming up that is over that, so I'll be trading them out for a new set of tires. I'm very impressed with them, and they're probably going to become my LD tire of choice for next riding season.

I put a set of 21's on before the ride to WFO and now have about 3000 mi. with no cupping, noise, no wobbles, no drips, no runs and no errors. Wear is barely noticable and agree with Orangevale's synopsis. These tires are ok by me. PM. <>< :D

This may have worked out well. DVP was out of Pilot Roads and I don't haven't horded Azarros like Skooter...and what seems like 4 reports of lower mileage to 1 report of higher mileage on the Storms...I just couldn't go there.

So I tried the BT-21 rear to replace my mondo-cupped special-single-use ME-880. Installer said it was stiff as frack and took two people to get it on the rim.

Planning a couple hundred miles tomorow and gotta 1200 mile ride here in a couple of weeks and will hopefully get a feel for it.