BT-21's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problems with my 021's either. Matter of fact I think these tires are great! So there. PM. <>< :D

As I was mentioning I have some weird wear going on with my front bt021 check it out with the link below . I have been running about 38 psi in the 021 the other tire on the left was the trusty 020 and it was run at 36 psi when it failed. So I guess I better run the pressure at 41 psi from now on.

The 021 though really has got me baffled never seen a front flat spot like that one about 4300 miles on it.

https://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/nomosnow/

As I was mentioning I have some weird wear going on with my front bt021 check it out with the link below . I have been running about 38 psi in the 021 the other tire on the left was the trusty 020 and it was run at 36 psi when it failed. So I guess I better run the pressure at 41 psi from now on.The 021 though really has got me baffled never seen a front flat spot like that one about 4300 miles on it.

https://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/nomosnow/
I can't really see the flat spot in the photo. It doesn't look like there is THAT much meat missing!?!

Look, the bottom line is that you cannot have it all: Longevity and grip are tied to the compound & softness. Compound quality is similar among different manufacturers, so if you want grip, they ain't gonna last, and if you want last, they ain't gonna grip.

-BD

I just came back from a quick ride down #101 to Cannon Beach, Ore and back. When I left with 4k miles on my 021's they were looking great. Now with about another 1200 miles on them, the rear is still looking good, but the front is developing a ridge down the center with the sides scuffed away. Darn, other than the noise off the front tire, I was liking these tires and was hoping to see some decent mileage. (consistantly inflated 40/42, one up with bags)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just shy of 3K on my front 021 and it looks about the same. A slight flat spot down the middle. Most likely due to the 1400 mile trip out and back to the Freak Show in Sturgis in August on the slab. My back tire still looks brand new, but then it only has 1K on it.

The first 021 rear I put on still looked new after 2K except for that 1/4 inch hole from the screw I picked up at the Freak Show. 720 miles on it before I holed it. Plugged it to get back home and then scrapped it. Shortest life span of any tire I have ever owned. The service tents at the Freak Show refused to plug it. They wanted to sell me a new tire for $300 plus $100 for mount and balance. I told them my ass is an exit not an entrance. A $10 NAPA plug kit kept me mobile until I made it home.

That's cuz you ride like an 8 year old girl.
The front was cupping very nicely and the rear just past the wear bars, but I continued anyway.

I am now looking again. Torn betwix the 021 and the strada. I don't want my rims scratched when they get the elephant man to push the 021s on.

Since the Concours has the 021's I decided to go check out what the little tire pressure sticker said on the side of the 08 model on the showroom floor at our local dealer... Guess what 42 psi front and rear recommended pressure .. so I was running 38 psi in my front when it flat spotted maybe it would have been different at 42 psi.

So no matter what I replace the 021's with I am going to go with 42 psi front and rear.

ya nomosnow,

I was wondering if you were a bit under inflated... Seems other folks are getting better miles than that out of their fronts... But who is to say.. I have over 7k on my oem metz z6's and the back has got a little flat and the front is still good.. I run 39 front/42 rear. I do run the skins to the edges and pretty hard I guess. Does anyone know if any magazines have ever done any side by side comparo's of the z6's, 021's and others... for the sport touring folks? And how they all stacked up? I really like how most are impressed with the 021's BUT... I don't have many complaints of my z6's and I like getting 7k plus out of tires.

WW

Last night we put a new set of 021's on forum member bristercl's fjr. Finished up about 8:30 last night. Tyres look nice. Also put a set of 90 degree valve stems from Jeff at Bikeffects. He's ready to roll again. :yahoo:

Checked his shaft splines during the tyre change..........good thing we did! they were in desperate need of some slippery goo :glare:

Hmmmm....................................

What I have noticed and seems to be consistent with all the bt021 reports are:

-Most recommend to run the manufacturers recommended tire pressures........................ NOT A PROBLEM.

-Most absolutely love the stick and handling aspects of these tires.................................NOT A PROBLEM.

-Most say the rear tire lasts long enough, at least 7k plus(a dual compound tire)...........NOT A PROBLEM.

-Most report the fronts wearing out twice as quick as the rear(a single compound tire)........BIG PROBLEM!

I got to say that I prefer both my tires to last at least 7k..

So for now, I will be keeping my eye on the Pilot Road 2 tire wear reports.

Hopefully Bridgestone can address this...(Dual Compound front?????)......

WW

I have almost 6k on them,And they are the best wearing tire i have run to date...

And...

I really dont care id the front doesn't last the normal 2 to 1 as i change both the same time every time. Kinda superstitious... :lol: