BT-21's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine now have about 6500 km. on them. Rear is just starting to show some wear, front is still noisy but fine wear wise...no cupping. Unless the new Pilot roads get strong results I'll stay with the 021s.

Anyone ever figured out or speculated on what the noise is coming from on the fronts? Just a tread pattern thing? Or a defect?

WW

Anyone ever figured out or speculated on what the noise is coming from on the fronts? Just a tread pattern thing? Or a defect?WW
fwiw, I just put on 021s and have about 120 miles. yes, there is a noise on the front but it seems to abate at higher speeds. The tires are rock steady and work well in the rain.I tried raising the tp to 40/41 still had the road noise. It reminds me of same type of road noise I found on the earlier michelins(1970) I don't find the noise objectionable; ride and be happy
Anyone ever figured out or speculated on what the noise is coming from on the fronts? Just a tread pattern thing? Or a defect?WW
fwiw, I just put on 021s and have about 120 miles. yes, there is a noise on the front but it seems to abate at higher speeds. The tires are rock steady and work well in the rain.I tried raising the tp to 40/41 still had the road noise. It reminds me of same type of road noise I found on the earlier michelins(1970) I don't find the noise objectionable; ride and be happy. roadhammer

I just rode a very grueling and challenging 185 miles of twistyness today.

My verdict? 21's are equal to, or better than any tire so far for handling. Smooth and quick turn entry and exrtremely stable. I like these tires!

9-8-07FJRRide.jpg

Thanks Roadhammer,

I suspect my next set of tires will be the BT-21's. Seems like everyone(there are always some that don't) likes them.

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm certainly no expert on tires, but, w/ my limited experience on the new BT-021's, I'm guessing it's the tread pattern that's making the noise...NOT a defect. I had no head shake, wobble or vibration in the new tires. More miles will tell the tale.
What say others?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm certainly no expert on tires, but, w/ my limited experience on the new BT-021's, I'm guessing it's the tread pattern that's making the noise...NOT a defect. I had no head shake, wobble or vibration in the new tires. More miles will tell the tale.
What say others?
I don't notice it so I can't comment. But the fact that I can't comment might mean that maybe it's not that big an issue?

...I was eagerly awaiting delivery of new Pilot Road 2's but had a scheduled trip to Hyder Ak. this past mon. (10th), and could not wait 1 more day.

so... on went the 'stone 021's (at $150.00 less/ set that Michelins)

2,500 miles later: a little front tire noise but changed with road surface and I wear ear plugs all the time so it was no bother whatsoever. I just came off Pirelli Diablo Stradas and I feel these two tires are basically equal in handling, with no significant difference. That is a positive comment in all aspects. I stretched the Strada's to 8,000 mi (were done at 7,500) so I'll see how long the 'stones last (for me)

tire tracked excellently over rough/broken pavement, tracked straight and true over grooved/ etched pavement in construction areas, did very well on 40 miles of graded dirt/gravel to glacier overlook (beyond Hyder). (The BMW 1200GS which followed me up the road was very surprised at the pace and handling of the FJR)

The bike never felt "nervous" running hard into corners, rather kept its line and gradually/progressively leaned over. No "standing up" on trailing braking, no discernable decel. headshake, well planted front on hard front braking. All in all, a very well behaved and confidence inspiring tire. Totally stable at triple digits +

Also of note..., good at evasive maneuvers in dodging numerous bears along roadside! :lol:

I just had a 2nd set of 021's put on my bike for the trip out to CFO. The originals still have a good amount of life left on them, but I didn't want to worry about it. The new sets seams to be little quieter, and the handling is still rock solid. Unless the tires wear REALLY fast for the end of their life, and think it is going to be 021's for quite awhile.

Anyone ever figured out or speculated on what the noise is coming from on the fronts? Just a tread pattern thing? Or a defect?
WW
I think it's the design of the tires that's causing the noise. I'm on my second front and it's very noisy. I have almost 5k miles on this tire and it's wearing nice and even, no cupping but is very noisy. After the 1800 miles I put on it at EOM this weekend it's just about toast so no more Bridgstones for me.

JW

WW
I think it's the design of the tires that's causing the noise. I'm on my second front and it's very noisy. I have almost 5k miles on this tire and it's wearing nice and even, no cupping but is very noisy. After the 1800 miles I put on it at EOM this weekend it's just about toast so no more Bridgstones for me.

JW
I must be deaf, or them ear plugs I use work really well. I still haven't discerned a noise that's louder than usual.

They sound good to me!
WW
I have about 4500 miles on my bt 021's and the front has worn a noticeable flat spot . Never had that happen before on a front have always used bt020's .The low speed turn is off and basically the handling has really deteriorated . Has anybody had this issue? I wonder if the 020 on the front with the 021 on the rear would work better and keep the front pressure up to 42 psi. The bike's handling at low speed is really affected by the front flat spot and it also wants to wonder around at low speed on uneven pavemant as well.

I had a set of 021's put on before heading off to EOM, tire pressures at 43 psi.

7500 miles later after a lot of Hi Speed riding and a fair amount of twisties, the rear has a flat spot in the centre (no Surprise) still has a ways to go before the wear bars, front is wearing evenly, no cupping or uneven wear apparent.

Didn't notice any tire noise to speak of. Handling was good in the Wet or Dry

I will buy another set when these are done.

7500 miles later after a lot of Hi Speed riding and a fair amount of twisties, the rear has a flat spot in the centre (no Surprise)............... front is wearing evenly, no cupping or uneven wear apparent.
I'd like to know what I did to wear out my front at 3734 miles to and from WFO. I normally run my front @ 41# and its okay, but this one is worn in a "Vee" shape. I know I did alot of aggressive twisties both directions, but the front has a noticable peak and "falls" into corners rather quickly. I think I'll order a new front and see if it lasts until the rear is worn out. They DO handle well, hold a line and are very neutral in corners.

I would probably be alright if I only had to ride freeways until the tire wears out, but I do enjoy the Sacramento delta region and the Sierra mountains. I know...I know...all is moot because I won't be riding for another month or so.....

A Bridgestone is a tombstone no matter what number is on the carcass.
Pass that crack pipe when you are done with it! On my 2nd set of 021's, and they are GREAT. I now have about 8K miles on 021's, and have NOTHING bad to say. I haven't run through a pair yet, and only put on the 2nd set because of a longer trip I was taking, and didn't want to have to worry about tires while on the road. There is a reason the is in the NEPRT area. You have your opinion, and I have mine, and someone else will have another one.

Bridgestone is a tombstone no matter what number is on the carcass.
I got 11500 miles on my stock 020 'stones. There was more left but I changed them anyway.