Buck or Doe, I'll never know

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
My return trip from WFO was not without incident.

And before the ribbing and gigging starts about my perceived "better than and infallible" attitude, I'll add that it was all my fault. However, the fault of mine was probably do to a lack of nocturnal desert riding work. It was only my second time, the first being on my way to Park City. I figured that it would be much cooler to make the run once the sun set, and since Skyway was so accommodating in arranging shipment for my Solteks, and even loaned me his own set of prototype brackets, I had no reason to be afraid of the dark.

The intent of my post is to share my experience, so that others may avoid making the same mistake, thus creating a safer experience for us all.

Anyway, at about 4 a.m. Sunday morning, approximately 90 miles East of Tonopah, NV on Hwy 6, I lost my ability to claim that I've never killed anything but bugs with my bike.

I had a rather bizarre experience with a rather large jackrabbit. They were thick as flies out there, along with two deer, three antelope, two coyotes, and a half dozen wild horses that I saw near the road.

My first fatal mistake was to not respect the rabbits for the potential they carried for destruction. The second was to not take precautions for what happened to me. That's where the inexperience came in. Maybe all you "real" endurance riders out there already know this, and many others as well, but I learned the hard way.

[SIZE=14pt]When running in areas where critter strikes are a possibility, and you're not busy shifting or braking, get the arches of your feet off the pegs and the balls on them. [/SIZE]

I was running "slightly faster than the flow of traffic".

The rabbit jumped up from the roadside and quartered at me from the right, much like a dog chasing a car does. Since it was "only a rabbit", I wasn't too worried about the possibility of hitting one, and got complacent around them. Apparently, it managed to duck under the back of the front tire and jumped up on the far side, where the front half of my foot caught it and folded back under the peg with the rabbit. For an instant, that rabbit fully understood the meaning of the term "Toecutter", as the blood evidence on my boot would later indicate.

That part hurt like ten mother fuckers, with my foot feeling like it spontaneously combusted, and pain that traveled all the way to my left hip. I just knew there were gonna be broken bones involved, and scenarios of all the hassle that recovery would add to my life just ran through my head like a hamster on a wheel for the next hour or so. By the time I reached Tonopah, only the foot and knee still hurt, and it was time to check if it would carry any weight. It did, and I could walk fairly well.

Long story short, the X-rays showed no broken bones, Yeay! ER Doc's note says at least two more days of rest & ice, then we'll see what my private MD says.

Which means my foot bones must be stronger than metal, because my peg, which was behind my bent-under foot, didn't fare so well.

PegDamage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My return trip from WFO was not without incident.
First thanks for the B-Day note :good:

And second sorry to hear about the toe, toe... :lol:

As someone still recovering from a 'Tibial Plateau Fracture' I know that getting whacked on the foot can really leave a mark not to mention a nice little payment to the orthopedic surgeon. Hope that further results are negative and you can keep on riding.

BTW I passed through Tonopah a couple weeks ago and only the cows were trying to get under my pegs. :D

Look forward to hearing about WFO.

Ron

Glad to see your peg break it fixes in 20 minutes with wrenches. That what saved your foot.

New feature "Break Away Pegs " saves toes and toecutter :)

In the Endurance Riding community, we call these little bastards "Kamikaze Jackrabbits", and their name is well-deserved. We get attacked by these little suicidal furballs all the time. When you hit one on a Blackbird at 130+ mph (hypothetically speaking, of course), they get the bike to shudder and dance about its axis for a good couple hundred feet..... disconcerting stuff. :eek:

Outstanding job to get the footpeg to break, vice having the frame casting itself. If the latter had happened, now you're talking $$$ to fix, or have to live with an ugly weld.....

Sorry to hear about your Kamikaze Jackrabbits.

The one I hit on the way home was very nice to me and decided to make his mind up a second before I hit him and stop moving. It was a clean hit from my point of view. I had to clean some goo and hair off the lower part of the bike and my shoe, but no damage what so ever to me or the bike. My back wheel slipped a bit when it hit the goo, but I hit it straight and had no problems.

Years ago when I had a total of 3 months riding experience I hit a rabbit merging from one freeway to another in Oklahoma at 2am. The speed limit was 45mph and I was doing 45mph. However, when I was in the lean and had about half a second adjust for the rabbit which just ran in my path I was not fast enough. My front wheel lifted from the pavement while I was in a lean and I low sided the bike. I hit my elbow and bruised it pretty bad, a few days later the bruise turned into scab. I had no idea a bruise could be so bad it would become a scab. Now days, at night in rabbit country if I am not moving in a straight line I go very slow to give me the time I need to straighten the bike up.

Toe,

BUMMER!

I've never even thought about it, but I'm on the balls of my feet like 90% of the time when I ride.

WHO KNEW!

I can't believe you broke the peg like that with no damage to your foot. Man.

Riding my bike once along I-40 at dusk, I hit a smallish rabbit square in front, and the tire sucked it up through my Fenda-Extenda ( which disappeared straight away ) and was shot straight out ahead of me a bit faster than the bike was moving. It was like a .50 Cal with a magazine full of bunnies.

Awesome.

Glad you're basically OK.

GZ

Outstanding job to get the footpeg to break, vice having the frame casting itself. If the latter had happened, now you're talking $$$ to fix, or have to live with an ugly weld.....
I give thanks to the Yamaha engineers for that blessing.

In the future, I'll make sure the balls of my feet are more to the outboard portion of the peg rubber pads, just to be sure the leverage is properly applied if another long-shot strike occurs.

Hey toe...

Just put on some V-Star floorboards - problem solved!!

BTW - had about the same thing happen on my 4-wheeler in the woods when a darn vine got wrapped around my foot - started keeping just the toes on the footpegs. It huty pretty bad but yours sounds much worse.

Those cast footpegs are looking better all the time! :blink: Glad you didn't have to live up to you screen name!

I'm glad you're ok!!

Riding at night is something I'm still not comfortable with. It seems to drastically increase those things that I can't control...so I try to avoid riding at night.

Wow! Glad you're okay Toe. Like others have said, from the looks of that peg, you got off lucky.

I'm usually on the balls of my feet too. I didn't know it was a good preventative measure against "kamikaze jackrabbits."

Thanks for the tip. :biggrinsmiley:

Like others have said, from the looks of that peg, you got off lucky.
Just got back from the physical therapist. He said that the peg breaking was what likely saved me from the bones breaking. I'll never run anything but OEM pegs again, not that I ever wanted to anyway. I already ordered the replacement from UM, about $20.00 shipped.

Now Skyway needs to come up with some "Bunny Bars". I'll take two. They could have optional covers and double as wind deflectors for winter. "Paging Mr. Laing, Mr. Laing, please pick up the nearest white courtesy phone"

Wow! Thanks for the advice, but now you tell me. I left Park City at 03:20 and ended up going west on 6 and then south on 93. That moonset was delightful wasn't it? The sun rose in my mirrors. I saw several jackrabbits running across the road but had better luck than you did. I certainly wasn't taking them into account as far as speed or riding style. I am just happy that none of the were named Vito. There but for the grace of G-d.

Damn boy, sure glad it wasn't one a dis here Jackalopes, they'd have messed you up baaddd.

jackalope.jpg

I wasn't so lucky when I connected with Bambi with my left foot on the engine-guard mounted highway peg on my H-D 2 years ago. This was at hour-20 during a 24-hour BunBurner Gold 1500 mile ride. I was doing about 75mph at collision time, kept the bike upright, then pulled over to assess the damage. Bike fine, ankle not-so-fine. Not sure how Bambi fared, and don't care. I decided to ride home the last 4 hours and deal with it the next day, and finish the BBG ride (been there, got the cert). Turned out to be a broken lateral malleolos for those that must know, HIPAA be damned. Only damage on the bike was it managed to swing the clamp for the peg slightly on the engine-guard, lost one turn-signal lens cover, and left a little blood and some hairs on my left caliper-mounted Motolight. I even got my healthcare (not bike) insurance to pay for all the med bills. It's a good thing Bambi didn't get any further out in front of me. :yahoo:

Bruised%20ankle.jpg

They didn't offer a chrome model so I had to settle for black:

Cast.jpg

This isn't really the Bambi responsible, but I like to think it looked something like this afterwards:

Deer.jpg

Dennis