Building a motorcycle lift... anyone????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I get first dibs on the utube video of this disaster in the making?

First, that 1-10 pine board will bend and break at the top where it is screwed to that flimsy piece of metal before he even gets the bike up half way.

Second, the whole stand will collapse before the bike even could get to the top.

And finally third, it would take 4 people to push an fjr up onto that piece of crap stand.

I wouldn't put a broken down moped on that thing let alone a $15k, 600+ pound bike. But, only my most humble opinion.

By the way, sad to say, I saw Washington plates on that vehicle in the drive. As a fellow Washingtonian, I hope this guy has more common sense on the road than he does in the shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I get first dibs on the utube video of this disaster in the making?
First, that 1-10 pine board will bend and break at the top where it is screwed to that flimsy piece of metal before he even gets the bike up half way.

Second, the whole stand will collapse before the bike even could get to the top.

And finally third, it would take 4 people to push an fjr up onto that piece of crap stand.

I wouldn't put a broken down moped on that thing let alone a $15k, 600+ pound bike. But, only my most humble opinion.

By the way, sad to say, I saw Washington plates on that vehicle in the drive. As a fellow Washingtonian, I hope this guy has more common sense on the road than he does in the shop.
Keep up! :p Had you looked at the posts, you would have seen that he has abandoned the original idea and ordered a lift. Let's quit knocking the original table and move on.

Keep up! :p Had you looked at the posts, you would have seen that he has abandoned the original idea and ordered a lift. Let's quit knocking the original table and move on.
I actually think the original idea had merit, even if this version wasn't up to the task.

Some yrs ago, I bought a handy lift and it's the best money I ever spent. While the lifts that go under the frame are good - even if they need to be modified to work with a FJR exhaust - there's nothing like a table lift IMO for many tasks.

Now, a wood version like the idea presented here would work if you thought it out right, but the problem there is you can't lower it to put the bike on/off so you'd need a good ramp plus system for securing everything when you are by yourself, and get off the thing up in the air like that.

Of course, the first time you dropped that purty FJR off the table, you'd be wishing that the money you saved had been spent on:

https://www.handy-lift.com/index.cfm?mf=bro...orcycle%20Lifts

The only problem I have with my HL and the FJR is that I also own a mix'n'match HD shovelhead hardtail and it pretty much dominates the lift time; you know, ride 100 miles, work on it for a week, repeat...

Lift.jpg

I own this lift and recommend it highly with the following exceptions. The wheel chock blows...One side is totally fixed so, unless you get your bike onto the ramp perfectly you will end up pushing it sideways to clamp the front wheel. I refuse to do this. I have removed the wheel chock completely

Pushing an FJR onto this ramp is a bitch. IMHO the motorcycle is just to heavy and awkward for one person to muscle it up there safely. Really good (expensive) lifts collapse closer to the floor.

The lift is a bit unstable with a 700 lb bike on it until the stop bar has been inserted through the scissor lift and the weight has been relieved from the pneumatic cylinder. Not unsafe but not rock solid.

FWIW, this is how I use the lift...

I place 2, 8x8 redwood post I have down each side of the lift, one on each side. By happy coincidence the are the same height as the floor of the lift.

I then ride the bike onto the lift placing my feet on the 8x8s. This is very easy and stable if you can flat foot your bike. I stop the bike with the front wheel touching the stop plate at the front of the lift.

I deploy the side stand with the side stand foot resting on the redwood 8x8 and carefully dismount.

Standing on the 8x8, I deploy the centerstand. If you have the bike against the stop plate the centerstand will deploy just forward of the removable plate at the rear of the lift.

After the bike is on its centerstand I use 2 ratcheting tie downs attached to the rider footpegs and 2 U bolts just forward of the foot pegs to fully stabilize the bike. Then and only then do I lift the bike using the pneumatics.

I like this system because it allows me to put a small transmission jack on the lift under the pipes and raise the front wheel off the floor of the lift. After removing the front wheel I can lower the front onto jack stands and remove the rear wheel as well. The bike is amazingly stable when the lift is used in this fashion.

I never wrench on the bike without the tie downs in place and the weight of the bike on the stop bar.

Be very sure that the jack screws under the lift are properly deployed.

I really like the lift when used like this. The bike is very stable and there is just no comparison with working on your hands and knees. Getting up and down for tools and crawling around looking for crap is just not for this old boy any more. I actually enjoy working on my bike again. I won't change the oil without lifting it.

I hope this helps
Good info. I appreciate it. I'm removing the front chock & replacing it with this:

image_5313.jpg

I always use one of these as well as a rear wheel stand.

CanyonDancer.jpg

I actually think the original idea had merit, even if this version wasn't up to the task.

Some yrs ago, I bought a handy lift and it's the best money I ever spent. While the lifts that go under the frame are good - even if they need to be modified to work with a FJR exhaust - there's nothing like a table lift IMO for many tasks.

Now, a wood version like the idea presented here would work if you thought it out right, but the problem there is you can't lower it to put the bike on/off so you'd need a good ramp plus system for securing everything when you are by yourself, and get off the thing up in the air like that.

Of course, the first time you dropped that purty FJR off the table, you'd be wishing that the money you saved had been spent on:

https://www.handy-lift.com/index.cfm?mf=bro...orcycle%20Lifts

The only problem I have with my HL and the FJR is that I also own a mix'n'match HD shovelhead hardtail and it pretty much dominates the lift time; you know, ride 100 miles, work on it for a week, repeat...

Another vote for the handy lift. There is a reason why you see these primarily at MC shops. They work.

Another vote for the handy lift. There is a reason why you see these primarily at MC shops. They work.
I'm sure they do, except the motorcycle shops have lots more money to spend on lifts than I do, and they can justify it because it's their job to work on bikes every day. I'm not Bill Gates or Larry Ellison, so I had to wait until the price of the HF lift came down to $200 before I was able to afford it.

A 6-car air conditioned garage full of Snap-On tools would also possibly work for me as well. Any donations?

I'm sure they do, except the motorcycle shops have lots more money to spend on lifts than I do, and they can justify it because it's their job to work on bikes every day. I'm not Bill Gates or Larry Ellison, so I had to wait until the price of the HF lift came down to $200 before I was able to afford it.

A 6-car air conditioned garage full of Snap-On tools would also possibly work for me as well. Any donations?
CC, I've had my HL for ~16 yrs. What I would do is save my money and buy 1 good addition a yr to my shop. At the time I lived in a little 2 br 1 ba house with a detached garage which I made into a pretty good shop.

Yes, the HL is expensive, but it's the choice of shops for a reason; you only need to buy it once. It works great, is durable, and I expect it won't leave my possession until they settle my "estate" - which hopefully is still some time away!

Some things I've cheaped out on tool-wise, and just about always regretted it later. The lift is one that I did not. But, of course, there are other choices out there for less money and that's something you'll have to decide. For me, I've been riding motorcycles since I was a little feller and expect to for as long as I am able, so the HL purchase was for the "long haul".

I'm sure these things come up used as well, you might look at that on feebay or wherever else. I'd rather have a used HL than a new of others that I've seen. Just a suggestion...

Oh yes, on the air conditioned garage; I moved back in '02 and have a bigger 2 car+ size garage that I piddle in. For AC, I bought a 18,500 BTU window unit that I put in place of a side window that was on sale at Home Depot out by Waterford Lakes. The end of summer is coming up, so you might look around and do the same thing. This has been a great addition as I can go out there in the middle of summer and the unit knocks it down good. I also have an old 27" TV and small refrig out there, just to make things "tolerable"...

As always, YMMV, IMO, etc...

Only a 27" TV? Prolly a CRT job too... :glare:
And you call that man's garage?

:p
I know, I know! Actually when I moved in this place, I spent some time and built workbenches, pegboard, and a corner shelf for the above TV which is an old unit that works good and is worth squat. I have meant to replace it, but just - haven't - although I do look at flat screens in the "up to 32"" size when I go anyplace that sells them. I'll upgrade one of these days, but for now it shows GP racing just fine...

I have several old CRT's that I can't give away it seems, including a massive console unit that is on a sturdy table I use in our bedroom (the table to elevate so you can see it in bed). They were used originally because that first couple of yrs in the house we were kinda stretched out abit on the budget, so had to make do. Since then I've bought a flat screen for the main room, and a small one here in the computer room that is just above the monitor. The garage and bedroom are next, but the one in the bedroom takes two men and a boy to move and then all I could do is (hopefully) give it away - not that the money is that big an issue.

Hey, at least I got a manly lift!!!

I put a lot of trust in my 1500lb hydraulic lift, mostly because of what I've been able to do with it. Mine's a Craftsman, but looks a lot like that HF one.

I usually don't keep both wheels lifted at the same time. I like the added stability of two grounding points, but nonetheless, it is a viable solution, IMO from what I've done with the FJR. I've had no youtube incidents or the disaster scenario Texan posted.

I second the "best $70 I've ever spent" comment.

DSCF1567.JPG

DSCF1449.JPG

DSCF14382.jpg

Some things I've cheaped out on tool-wise, and just about always regretted it later. The lift is one that I did not. But, of course, there are other choices out there for less money and that's something you'll have to decide. For me, I've been riding motorcycles since I was a little feller and expect to for as long as I am able, so the HL purchase was for the "long haul".
Yeah, you're right.... I pretty much usually go the "best tools last longest" route myself, but at the time it was an optional super-luxury item that I was splurging on, and felt I didn't really need. "I've worked on bikes for years and never needed one!". Now of course, I wouldn't work on a bike without one. Ah well, it works. Plus there's the $200 HF unit, then there's the $1,500 ones and not too much in between.

As for the A/C, I have a one-car detached with no windows and unfortunately nowhere to put one. I got a portable floor A/C and I put a vent in the ceiling for it. It's better than nothing, but things are sure getting crowded. Heck, as a matter of fact, I live a couple blocks from that Home Depot in Waterford.

EDIT: and speaking of TVs, mine is a Sears-branded 21" Sony Trinitron where the manufacture date on the back is "August 1986" - it's old enough to drink...

I've also got one of those mini lifts, perfect for those of us that don't have the luxury of space for a fullsize table. I'm doing a complete rebuild of my yx600 on that thing cranked all the way up. Very stable. VERY heavy for the small size of it.

Yeah, you're right.... I pretty much usually go the "best tools last longest" route myself, but at the time it was an optional super-luxury item that I was splurging on, and felt I didn't really need. "I've worked on bikes for years and never needed one!". Now of course, I wouldn't work on a bike without one. Ah well, it works. Plus there's the $200 HF unit, then there's the $1,500 ones and not too much in between.
As for the A/C, I have a one-car detached with no windows and unfortunately nowhere to put one. I got a portable floor A/C and I put a vent in the ceiling for it. It's better than nothing, but things are sure getting crowded. Heck, as a matter of fact, I live a couple blocks from that Home Depot in Waterford.

EDIT: and speaking of TVs, mine is a Sears-branded 21" Sony Trinitron where the manufacture date on the back is "August 1986" - it's old enough to drink...
I hear ya CC! Believe me, I'm not a "lift snob"; I know those suckers are pricey and there are more cost efficient ways to get your bike up for maintenance. I didn't mention, but when I bought mine, I was able to add to an existing order with 2 others - 1 of which was going to a local Titusville non-authorized HD shop. So, they were delivered to a business address which was less, and we split the shipping. I paid $600 iirc. They are easily double that now just doing the minimum and I know that's a good buck to pay when there are other bills to pay and such.

I am on my 3rd "wheels off" type of portable lift and I use it from time to time, esp where I need to work on the front wheel, but I find I'm always kicking that thing out of my way and even tho I know they are pretty sturdy, I can't say as I ever fully trust the thing.

I will say that if you ever have a day job that needs something like my HL, come on by and we'll knock it out, OK? For that matter, I'll help anyone I can if I can; I'm on the FJR assistance list.

Just gimme some time to get the friggin' hardtail offa it...

WRT: Home made lifts.

My buddy who installed my CT built his own lift. He bought a used pnuematic bumper lift at an auction then built a table for it. Works fantastic. He even put in a removable table section under the back wheel for facilitating tire changes. Front chock is a standard screw type.

Sorry of the pic, but it'll give you an idea of the table. My bike is on the sidestand and not locked in the chock.

DSC00291.jpg

image_5313.jpg

Be careful with this chock. I know from personal experience that since the plate mounting bolts are only slightly wider than the wheel, your bike can still move side - to - side quite a bit. The whole frame can flex as your bike moves.

I took off the black sheet metal base and mounted it into a 1/4" thick steel plate. I can also easily remove the plate and bolt the chock into the FRAME of my trailer (DO NOT BOLT IT ONLY TO THE TRAILER FLOOR - THIS WILL FLEX TOO AND ALLOW YOU BIKE TO SWAY SIDE_TO_SIDE).

You can also bolt it straight into your garage floor with the proper masonry anchors.

HF also sells a much better chock with a wide base:

https://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-st...hock-97841.html

I do have one question: Why do you need the lift? I've had a motorcycle for many years now and have never needed one. Maybe when I get farther up there in age I won't want to bend over anymore, but for now I'm happy sitting on the floor.

Oh and just to add to the pile DO NOT PUT YOU MOTORCYCLE ON THAT WOODEN PLATFORM. I can almost guarantee that it will collapse the way it is currently built. Each leg can pivot at it's attachment point to the frame. Not to mention the fact that it look like you haven't given yourself much room for putting donw the side or center stand or your feet. It's also going to roll away from you when the front wheel starts up the ramp.

I do have one question: Why do you need the lift? I've had a motorcycle for many years now and have never needed one. Maybe when I get farther up there in age I won't want to bend over anymore, but for now I'm happy sitting on the floor.
That's EXACTLY what I used to say, until I got one!