Bummed! first test sit!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure how 30" inseams vary that much. ...............

Size of your ass , thickness of your thighs, and the width of your hips.

Where the size of you ass should not matter when standing..

but the thickness of your thighs would affect how much of an angle your legs go out around the seat.

Those with small hips or "thick" thighs will notice that reducing the width or the seat helps as much as lowering it.

With my skinny legged, no ass small hipped 30 inseamed body sits on my bike, I can get both feet to touch...but can't get both heels down solidly without having my wife on the back. I do have a Corbin seat, but it wasn't cut narrower.

The only real problem I have riding like this is backing the bike up (while on it) if it 's uphill. Standing on the "balls" of your feet is just as stable as putting both down..and many can argue it is more stable.

You can't judge a bike by sitting on one in a showroom anyway...............

KM

I ride a XR650L with stock suspension it has a 37 inch seat hight. My toes just touch the ground. (5' 9" with 30" inseam )

One thing i haven't herd any body touch on is your weight. I would asume if you are a 150 lbs. soaking wet, Yeh you will be on your toes. Now if your pushing the other end of the scale lets say 285 lbs you might be able to sit almost flatfooted. So my solution might be is to start on that twinkie diet plan and the bike will get lower as you gain weight. "Just a thought"

On a more serious note. The hieght of the 650 doesn't bother me much. Its only a problem when stopping on unevan ground. I make sure when i park that the ground is evan. If you really like the FJR i wouldn't let it stop you from buying it. I am not sorry i bought the XR because of the height. On off road the extra height is awsome. Not that you will be doing that with the Feej. Lets hope not anyway.

If all goes according to plan I will be picking up my Feejr at the end of next month. ( 08, raven, new plate=2FST4ME )

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 30 inch inseam as well and have a gold wing and a vtx 1300R and now FJR, trust me, do what ever is needed to ride the FJR and then you do what is needed to keep it.

Have Bill Mayer make you a custom seat for your bike. The guy that was having his seat made while I was there this last weekend had a 29 inseem. I would also suggest getting the Daytona M-Star GTX which will give you another 1.5 inches in the boot.

M-Star%20GTX%20230.jpg

How much do lower links run to install. What does it do to ridability, cornering clearance....?
I have a 29 inch inseam and have trouble getting on most bikes.JeffAshe is right on that a brand new machine needs time on it.Everything new is super stiff.The kouba link is not that hard to install and is relatively inexpensive compared to other farkles.There is some room in the triple tree but not much to drop the forks.My best advice is to go back to the dealer with some good thick soled hiking boots like Redwings or Magnums.Shoes are far cheaper than a new seat like a Russel or Corbin.Look over eBay and see if you can find a seat off a crashed G2 to butcher up.Take the time to play with the seat and suspention adjusters.If the dealer wont let you play with the adjustments on the seat then take yourself somewhere else

It is possible to ride in these boots, although the shifter needs some alteration. This is how I built the confidence to ride the FJR with my little, short legs. Now, I do pretty much OK with regular boots, but the sliders are there just in case.

P1010001.jpg

I took a pair of regular boots to a cobbler and he added a 2"thick sole for me.

Jill

It is possible to ride in these boots, although the shifter needs some alteration. This is how I built the confidence to ride the FJR with my little, short legs. Now, I do pretty much OK with regular boots, but the sliders are there just in case.
P1010001.jpg

I took a pair of regular boots to a cobbler and he added a 2"thick sole for me.

Jill
Jill, those look like the came off the set of the Munsters....Herman Munster that is. My hat is off to you for staying with the FJR, you are an inspiration for the vertically challenged!

LC

All this talk about getting your feet down. I don't recall ever needing to put a foot down while riding the bike. :derisive:

You only need to balance the bike when you stop. A single toe is enough to do that. Everything else is about your comfort in regards to dropping it. You balance fine while riding.... odds are you can balance pretty darn well when you're stopped too.

All having a short inseam means is paying a little more attention to where you stop and learning a technique that works well for you.

30" inseam here, Russell Day Long seat, (not modified for shortness, so about 1" higher than stock), on my '04, along with aftermarket suspension that also adds height to the bike.

99% of the time it's a non-issue. That other 1%? I just slide forward a little and can flat foot easily.

Stop focusing on the tiny amount of time the bike is stopped and start focusing on the majority of the time when you're riding the bike. ;) The worries about what to do when you stop will soon fade.

All this talk about getting your feet down. I don't recall ever needing to put a foot down while riding the bike. :derisive:
You only need to balance the bike when you stop. A single toe is enough to do that. Everything else is about your comfort in regards to dropping it. You balance fine while riding.... odds are you can balance pretty darn well when you're stopped too.

All having a short inseam means is paying a little more attention to where you stop and learning a technique that works well for you.

30" inseam here, Russell Day Long seat, (not modified for shortness, so about 1" higher than stock), on my '04, along with aftermarket suspension that also adds height to the bike.

99% of the time it's a non-issue. That other 1%? I just slide forward a little and can flat foot easily.

Stop focusing on the tiny amount of time the bike is stopped and start focusing on the majority of the time when you're riding the bike. ;) The worries about what to do when you stop will soon fade.
I agree with what you're saying to an extent. You don't need to put your foot down when riding. But you do at stop signs, stop lights, emergency stops, general parking and backing up. I agree you only need a toe to balance. However I do alot of two up riding and using one toe to balance, and lift the bike off the side stand while may be good for some I need a little more footing to be comfortable for myself and my passenger. Which is why I posted. I'd like to get an FJR and wanted to see what options are available to me. I got some great ideas from everyone. And instead of giving up my quest for an FJR I continue on with the knowledge that I can do something to help me get a little more foot on the ground.

As for the 2 up riding remember that the extra weight in the back will lwr the seat hight at a stop quite a bit to help you also.

Gotta add my 5c here. I'm 5'2" with about 26" inseam. My FJR has Kouba links to lower it by about 3/4". I did ride it at stock height for a long time, with thick soled boots until I had the confidence to switch to regular boots. The extra 3/4" allows me either the points of both toes down or the ball of one foot. In 99% of cases, that's enough. For the rest of the time, I have sliders.
When parking the bike, if I don't have valet parking assistance available, I make sure that the bike can be ridden out of the space. Sometimes that means getting off and walking the bike into the position I want it.

Downsides to the lowers are reduced cornering clearance, but the bike has a lot more to give than I'm willing to take. Big speed bumps will ground the bike. The center stand is not usable, without a block of wood and two people.

Yes, the bike is too big for me but I'm hooked and can't give it up.

Jill
Just out of curiosity is there anyway you can post a pic of you standing beside your bike for the hight comparison? I would love to see how short of a person can ride that bike.. I have a short friend that I am trying to convince to buy one also.

My inseam is 32" and I sit flat-footed on the FJR. Are you really sure the seat was in its lowest position? Just before buying mine, I sat on an ST1300 and don't recall it being noticeably different. You might give it one more try if it's important to you. I liked everything about the Honda except the styling. It just seemed to shout "Hey, look, I'm a Power Ranger!". :lol:
My inseam is about 30" so I didn't expect to flat foot it. But did think I'd be able to sit comfortably on with the balls of my feet. I'm sure I'll test sit another one just to be sure. Are there any after market seats that lower you a little bit?
My inseam is 29' and I have survived for 3 years now. Just pay attention to foot placement when you stop.

I'm another 30" inseam guy. My FJR is stock. I'm not totally flat footed at a stop, but I'm damn close to it. I have no trouble at stops at all. In fact, my riding buddy and I just discussed this a couple of weeks ago, and he told me he thought both of my feet were flat on the ground. I'm that close that it looks it. No problems at all.

Spoken like a true, vertically un-challenged rider. Perhaps it's only the shorter people that have experienced those palpitation inducing moments, when you put your foot down and know that you may not be able to hold the bike up. Sure, most times it's OK but still scary.

Many intersections have uneven pavement where the rider is expected to stop. Watching for where you're going to put your foot is one more thing to add to the list. Another worrisome thing is stopping in gusty wind conditions. With a steady wind, I can slide right off the seat and put a flat foot down to brace against the wind. With only a pointy toe down, it's a wobbly feeling.

Another challenge is roads with steep cambers. Sure, you don't often have to stop but when you do, it's a scary feeling. One instance was on a freeway transition, where the traffic was backed up. My right foot was down flat with my knee bent. I had to lean the bike a little to the right, just to make sure that it wouldn't totter left, when I'd have no chance of saving it. (I believe that Fairlaner shared my unease, just by watching in his mirrors).

In the spirit of what you said, yes, I've put the sliders on and I try not to focus too much on stopping, but it remains a valid concern.

Jill

The link in my sig shows me sitting on the bike, with the big boots on. I'll enlist my photographer this weekend for a shot standing by the bike.

Spoken like a true, vertically un-challenged rider. Perhaps it's only the shorter people that have experienced those palpitation inducing moments, when you put your foot down and know that you may not be able to hold the bike up. Sure, most times it's OK but still scary.

<snip>

Actually, my response was tongue in cheek, not that some people noticed. :rolleyes:

Anyone can experience those palpitation inducing moments, it's just how you handle them that counts. Ever put a foot down on sand? And as stated, I tip toe, so it's not like I don't grasp the concepts noted in this thread.

Ride, ride, ride and ride some more. End of problem. As you discovered yourself Jill. :D

p.s. Don't try to save the bike if it starts going over, just let it go down. You will hurt yourself trying to save it, and then you're not just a little embarrassed but also in pain and going to be in pain for a while, and that can really put a dampener on a ride.

I am only 5'6" Inseam is probably 31 ish. The first dealer I went to Didn't even have the seat on right. and could not show me how to raise or lower it. I had to show them! It may not be all the way down. FJR is fine by my short body.
I just bought an FJR from a neighbor and I too am vertically challenged at 5'-6" and I am on my tip toes but I am stubborn and loved the bike too much to not get it. I didn't even know you could lower the seat and if my seat is in fact in the lowest position. Would someone enlighten me as to how this is done? If the seat can be lowered even a little bit it would be that much more comfortable.

Thanks in advance,

James

Ride, ride, ride and ride some more. End of problem. As you discovered yourself Jill. :D
p.s. Don't try to save the bike if it starts going over, just let it go down. You will hurt yourself trying to save it, and then you're not just a little embarrassed but also in pain and going to be in pain for a while, and that can really put a dampener on a ride.
OK, sorry I didn't get the tongue in cheek bit.

I've learned, by experience, that if the FJR is headed downwards, the best thing is to step off briskly and get out of the way. Another thing that has helped me is learning to ride an itty-bitty dirt bike in slippery conditions. Even on a Yamaha 125 I can't quite get a foot down but it's no big deal with a bike that weighs next to nothing. I've also gotten a fair few miles on a Ninja 650 which also weighs very little. That has built my skills and confidence, ready to tackle the bigger bike for long rides.

Jill

Another challenge is roads with steep cambers. Sure, you don't often have to stop but when you do, it's a scary feeling. One instance was on a freeway transition, where the traffic was backed up. My right foot was down flat with my knee bent. I had to lean the bike a little to the right, just to make sure that it wouldn't totter left, when I'd have no chance of saving it. (I believe that Fairlaner shared my unease, just by watching in his mirrors).
Indeed oh short legged one i do remember watching you in the mirrors that day............

R