Bummed! first test sit!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30 inch inseam for me and I am on the balls of my feet.

I spend the vast majority with my feet up :clapping: :clapping:

I have a 29-30" inseam depending on how you measure and I manage just fine.

I often use the bike with the seat in the high position just to change up the ergos on long trips. It's not as bad as you'd think. No I can't flat foot it, but there a few bikes I could anyway.

I have a 36" inseam and as you might think, no problem flat footing my FJR. My problem was that most bikes don't have sufficient seat to peg room for me. The FJR seems really comfy so far....I would recommend researching all of the options you have to help this bike fit you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 5' 9" tall with a 29" inseam and can flat foot my FJR. I accomplished this task not by lowering the suspension (which I think compromises the ride) or having surgery on my legs (too painful and expensive). Instead, I modified my seat pan and lowered the seat almost 1". I did this without touching the foam, so the seat comfort is unchanged.

I've put together some directions on this. It involves doing some cutting to the pan and changing its mounts, but that's it. Total cost was about $3. Surprising how easy it was. If you'd like the directions, email and I'll send you a .pdf file.

Jon

[email protected]

I am 5' 9" tall with a 29" inseam and can flat foot my FJR. I accomplished this task not by lowering the suspension (which I think compromises the ride) or having surgery on my legs (too painful and expensive). Instead, I modified my seat pan and lowered the seat almost 1". I did this without touching the foam, so the seat comfort is unchanged.
I've put together some directions on this. It involves doing some cutting to the pan and changing its mounts, but that's it. Total cost was about $3. Surprising how easy it was. If you'd like the directions, email and I'll send you a .pdf file.

Jon

[email protected]
That sure beats my suggestion of letting some air out of the tires :)

Would be interested in what you did.

Jon

[email protected]
I've got a 29" inseam, and felt somewhat uncomfortable on the FJR. Like Jon, I was unwilling to compromise handling for height. I've got his directions, but, so far, the only thing I've done is remove the "seat adjuster." (When you get Jon's directions, you'll see what this is.) That, in itself, made a noticeable improvement.

I was taught to stop with my left foot down and my right foot covering/on the brake. Using this technique, only a slight shift is needed to be flat-footed with my left foot, and, I've found that it's quite easy to pick up my left foot and shift to the right so I'm flat-footing with my right foot, should the need arise.

I say we start up a small collection for Jon.. I really want to see how those leg extentions work.

All very interesting. I'm 5'9' with a 30" inseam. I never noticed whether my feet were flat on the ground when seated, so I just threw on a pair of boat shoes (thin soled, and no, I don't ride in them), went out into the garage and sat on my bike. I have no problem flat-footing it, even with thin soles. I'd check the seat height.

All very interesting. I'm 5'9' with a 30" inseam. I never noticed whether my feet were flat on the ground when seated, so I just threw on a pair of boat shoes (thin soled, and no, I don't ride in them), went out into the garage and sat on my bike. I have no problem flat-footing it, even with thin soles. I'd check the seat height.
I've got a 30" inseam and I can hit only the balls of my feet. This is on an 08 with 700 miles with suspension set to soft and stock seat on the low setting.

edit: - I guess I can actually *almost* flat foot it with a pair of Doc Martins on...

I guess the net/net of this whole thread is... don't let your initial height concern stop you from the bike you'd love... if it really is too tall from the factory, there's a multitude of ways to fix it and a ton of people willing to help!

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how 30" inseams vary that much. I have 29" inseam with boots on and I get the balls oo my feet down which is sufficient. The seat guy can lower the seat on the foam side at most 3/4". On the 07 I removed the ,5"rubber mounts an put 4 sticky things in their place. I swear my legs are getting longer because outside of backing up a little grade. it is easy to handle. I think it is pretty top heavy bike so 100% concentration is required in parking lot manuevers or stopping on uneven road stops. I've u-turned in large gravel but felt like I was on ice. Pulling off the road requires careful planning for the vertically challenged.

Gotta add my 5c here. I'm 5'2" with about 26" inseam. My FJR has Kouba links to lower it by about 3/4". I did ride it at stock height for a long time, with thick soled boots until I had the confidence to switch to regular boots. The extra 3/4" allows me either the points of both toes down or the ball of one foot. In 99% of cases, that's enough. For the rest of the time, I have sliders.

When parking the bike, if I don't have valet parking assistance available, I make sure that the bike can be ridden out of the space. Sometimes that means getting off and walking the bike into the position I want it.

Downsides to the lowers are reduced cornering clearance, but the bike has a lot more to give than I'm willing to take. Big speed bumps will ground the bike. The center stand is not usable, without a block of wood and two people.

Yes, the bike is too big for me but I'm hooked and can't give it up.

Jill

Gotta add my 5c here. I'm 5'2" with about 26" inseam. My FJR has Kouba links to lower it by about 3/4". I did ride it at stock height for a long time, with thick soled boots until I had the confidence to switch to regular boots. The extra 3/4" allows me either the points of both toes down or the ball of one foot. In 99% of cases, that's enough. For the rest of the time, I have sliders.
When parking the bike, if I don't have valet parking assistance available, I make sure that the bike can be ridden out of the space. Sometimes that means getting off and walking the bike into the position I want it.

Downsides to the lowers are reduced cornering clearance, but the bike has a lot more to give than I'm willing to take. Big speed bumps will ground the bike. The center stand is not usable, without a block of wood and two people.

Yes, the bike is too big for me but I'm hooked and can't give it up.

Jill

Making it work, God love her!

It's hard to make one of the best bikes ever "one size fits all".

Jon

[email protected]
Thanks Jon! I'd like to see how that's done. I sent you an email

How much do lower links run to install. What does it do to ridability, cornering clearance....?
I installed a set of lowering links I'm 5'7 and can almost flat foot I rode deals gap and had no problems. The install was less than a hour and the links cost less than a hundred bucks.

Well from all this great info. looks like I don't have to give up my quest to own a FJR just yet. I'm going to try to find another dealer to sit on a few others and possibly sit on a few used. I'll look into an after market seat and the seat pan mod and see if those options will give me a fit I'm comfortable with. I really wouldn't want to use lowering links if I didn't have to.

Don't forget the rest of the ATGATT gear!

genekids.jpg

;)

Well from all this great info. looks like I don't have to give up my quest to own a FJR just yet. I'm going to try to find another dealer to sit on a few others and possibly sit on a few used. I'll look into an after market seat and the seat pan mod and see if those options will give me a fit I'm comfortable with. I really wouldn't want to use lowering links if I didn't have to.
I put lowering links on my FJR. I didn't raise the fork tubes in the triple trees yet. I've had a chance to take the bike up in the Sierra twisties and around town on my normal commute. There is a freeway merge that I take every day, it gave me a chance to compare high speed turn clearance. Yes, the peg feelers hit sooner, but I'm used to dragging floorboards on my cruiser so it didn't bother me. Just have to learn when it will happen and how much "cushion" for error you still have. Interestingly enough in the real twisties with group of FJR's led by MM2 I rode all day and only touched down a handful of times. I expected to drag much more.

I know the serious riders coming from sport bike backgrounds would probably be unhappy with the loss of lean that lowering links entails. However, coming from a 800 lb cruiser I find it completely acceptable. The older I get, the less lean I need! :dribble: YMMV. :blink: Soon I'll be ready for a Goldwing!!! :yahoo:

LC