Bummed! first test sit!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<snip> I didn't even know you could lower the seat and if my seat is in fact in the lowest position. Would someone enlighten me as to how this is done? If the seat can be lowered even a little bit it would be that much more comfortable.
James - From your profile it appears you have an '05. Sorry, no adjustment there. One of the changes as the FJR went from Gen I to Gen II in '06 was that the seat became a three position adjustable set-up. '03-05, (and '01/'02 EU bikes too), have no seat height adjustment.

There is a lot of other good advice and tips in this thread that do apply to your situation though. I would suggest seat work is #1 and has the least down sides, unless you like tall boots anyway. Generally seat work allows you to drop the height, and gives you a more comfortable seat as well. Zero negative aspects in the twisties either.

Obviously the FJR isn't a one-bike-fits-all type of machine. You might want to consider something slightly smaller, perhaps a Triumph Tiger, or something similiar - and lower it a bit if necessary. It's better (and much safer!) to feel comfortably in control, than to be nervous about controlling it under certain conditions.

SR-71

You might want to consider something slightly smaller, perhaps a Triumph Tiger
Triumph Tiger... smaller... :blink: smoke crack much?? :drag:

:D

A friend of mine had one and hated how tall it was... I recently sat on a new one and had to do the peg stand and swing my leg over to get on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to consider something slightly smaller, perhaps a Triumph Tiger
Triumph Tiger... smaller... :blink: smoke crack much?? :drag:

:D
Tiger seat height = 32.8 FJR seat height = 31.7
If they really are that close, there's something that makes the Tiger seem much worse... I've ridden the previous generation Tiger a few times and it was much less easy to maneuver then the FJR - even being a lighter bike.

Perhaps it has to do with the amount of weight this is up high on the Tiger... when it tips, it goes quickly...

If they really are that close, there's something that makes the Tiger seem much worse... I've ridden the previous generation Tiger a few times and it was much less easy to maneuver then the FJR - even being a lighter bike.
Perhaps it has to do with the amount of weight this is up high on the Tiger... when it tips, it goes quickly...
IMHO, a difference of 1.1" in seat height is huge. That can make all the difference between a secure and a precarious footing. I can't compare with the Tiger, but the FJR seems to carry its weight high too. Unless there is forward motion, the slightest lean on the FJR attracts a lot of gravity!

In comparison, I ride a 650 Ninja. The stock seat height is about the same as my lowered FJR yet the little bike feels 100% more steady at slow speeds. I have confidence that I can right that bike from a much greater lean than the FJR. My pointed toes will reach the ground on both sides at the same time, which is plenty on the little bike and even allows me to back it up, on flat ground.

Jill

I was asked to post a picture of me against the big tall (lowered 3/4 ") bike. Here it is:

DSCN0003.jpg

If I have a flat foot on the right, this is my reach on the left.

DSCN0005.jpg

Sitting straight on the seat with both legs even, this is my reach.

Jill

I’m 6’4” and weight 260 pounds and I’m on my toes while sitting on my FJ and yes, the seat is set on the lower setting. And while getting on or off with the side cases attached I don’t swing my leg over for fear I’ll take out one of my side cases. After picking up the bike a couple weeks ago, my wife tells me it looks way too small for me. But it rides great and carries my ass around just fine. I think all bikes except for the lowered cruisers will seem tall to most riders until they get used to them.

Don’t rule out the FJ because of its seat height. You’ll grow accustomed to it. It’s too nice of a machine to pass up. The pros far out weigh the cons.

I'm continuing my search for an FJR. I'll most likely look for a used '06 to even a used '08. I'll try test riding a used fully loaded (oil,gas,.....fluids) and see what that does to the balance.

I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam. I have no problems! :ermm:

Search the forum, I know others have had the stock seat modified to gain some footing!