Buying a 07FJR Tommorrow

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been chicken to lean it much further than what you see on the black stripe.
Looks like you are using a LOT more rubber than the previous owner!! Ionbeam is right about lovin' the PR2's. Make sure you post up with a comparison review, really hope this solves your handling woes. Just make sure you scrub those puppies in good before dropping her hard into a corner. BTW...baby needs a bath ;)

You guys were right, it was the tires! I wasn't convinced because the problem seemed too severe to be just that but now I'm a believer. Took her out to my favorite stretch of country roads today and let it rip. Couldn't rip it too hard due to fresh unscrubbed rubber and sprinkles here and there but rode it hard enough to know that fresh rubber......and not just any fresh rubber......was the answer to my handling woes.

I WILL be getting a ticket on this bike. It just wants to go fast and I have trouble resisting its urges. The power is exhilarating and now I've been spoiled. I don't need to knee drag....maybe scrape a peg or two....but I do need maximum G-forces when I crack the throttle and this baby freakin delivers! Wife likes strong acceleration too but she has only experienced the V-Strom thus far.....the FJR might make her pee a little the first time she feels it.

Biggest bonus is how nimble and light this bike feels.

After today, I no longer miss the V-Strom.

Janet, what kind of tire did you get?

Last edited by a moderator:
We told you so!!! ;) Glad to hear that the tires solved your problems. Now get the preliminary shock settings from Haulinashes write up, and start dialing it in for you. You will get even more satisfaction from the handling.

Tesla,

Does this mean you are now not coming to my house for the inspection????

Now I am hurt...glad you found your problem and some good tires. By the Way, Low air in these tires, even when they don't look like it, will feel the same way.

Now you know how a FJR really handles and sorry you could not drop by!

Bogus, already incorporated haulinashe's recommendations. Felt great but I did feel a slight "weeble" as he calls it on one corner but nothing to pucker about. Not sure if that was road conditions or the bike but haulin gave a good baseline to tweak from. I believe he is 180 and I'm 200 so I might need to stiffen up a bit from what he uses.

03, funny you should mention low tires. I asked the technician to please ride it before putting on the new tires. He said they felt very low even though they were 40 and 40 psi. Aren't the OEM Metzlers supposed to be good tires?

Last edited by a moderator:
03, funny you should mention low tires. I asked the technician to please ride it before putting on the new tires. He said they felt very low even though they were 40 and 40 psi. Aren't the OEM Metzlers supposed to be good tires?
Tesla,

Some think so. I believe your technician Felt the Ridges on your original tires and thought they felt Low on Air... thet is why I mentioned this for they feel almost identical in the riding experience.

Glad you got it handled....