Bye Bye Myrtle Beach!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaUtah

Reaction score
When enough of The Motor Company’s® minions descend on a town you end up with this kind of action being considered. Apparently the “loud pipes” crowd will soon be able to add “gets you thrown out of town” to their snappy little moniker. I wonder how many brand new OEM Harley-Davidson® systems are hanging on a wall in garages around the country. I hope all of the knuckle-dragging MOCO® owners didn’t throw them out!

“When motorcycle rallies came to Myrtle Beach in the '80s, they were smaller and just an annoyance, said longtime resident Terri Harris.

"Now they are out of hand," she said. "It's noise all day and all night, the traffic is atrocious, and you feel like you have to just knuckle under and stay close to home."

City leaders agreed. They grumble about bike rallies every year, but this year they seem to have reached a tipping point after a Memorial Day weekend shooting that left a Coastal Carolina University student dead.

City Council is exploring ways to keep the rallies out of town.”

Who will they be courting???

“City residents say they and their hometown are not respected by the rally visitors, and Harris said it's time to take May back.

"It's one of the most beautiful months here, and we used to have families and couples and golfers," she said. "But they don't come here in May any more."

Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce President Brad Dean said that is true.

Though no one has been able to quantify the amount of money that comes into the city from either bike rally, Dean said some hotels, bars and restaurants do better in May while theaters, amusements, retailers and golf courses see a "steep decline" in revenue.”

I doubt the “Loud Pipes” crowd will get the message…they will just move on to the next town pillage. As I have said for years, “Loud pipes, annoy your neighbors.”

The Republic of Texas rally is here in Austin this weekend. Same crap, the town is overtaken by idjits... To that, I say, it's time to strike a POSE!

vogue.jpg

:rolleyes: :lol:

I just came back from MB two days ago. Had a blast. I missed the bike week this time but was there last year for it. It was great!!!! They had it spread out over the whole city and surrounding area so I didn't find the traffic bad at all. Someone obviously doesn't realize the income that's generated from these events.

I just came back from MB two days ago. Had a blast. I missed the bike week this time but was there last year for it. It was great!!!! They had it spread out over the whole city and surrounding area so I didn't find the traffic bad at all. Someone obviously doesn't realize the income that's generated from these events.
"Though no one has been able to quantify the amount of money that comes into the city from either bike rally, Dean said some hotels, bars and restaurants do better in May while theaters, amusements, retailers and golf courses see a "steep decline" in revenue.”

Most of the vendors are not from MB. Lot's o' that cash never makes it into the coffers of the people of MB.

By the numbers Here is a look at the city of Myrtle Beach's expenses for the May motorcycle rallies.

Harley-Davidson "Cruisin' the Coast" spring rally

Police overtime for 10 days -- $142,000

Public Works and Cultural and Leisure Services overtime -- $936

Human Resources overtime -- $282

Trash collected -- 11 tons

Total extra personnel costs -- $143,218

Atlantic Beach Memorial Day Bikefest

Police overtime for four days -- $126,000

Public Works and Cultural and Leisure Services overtime -- $11,574

Human Resources overtime -- $367

Trash collected -- 25 tons

Total extra personnel costs -- $137,941

Food and water for both events

Police officers -- $16,572

Firefighters -- $270

Human Resources -- $424

Total food and water -- $17,266

I see more articles like this one everyday...and as much as I hate to admit it we are the minority and will be painted with the same brush as our cruiser brethren.

Public Backlash

Last edited by a moderator:
A place like Sturgis, where there is virtually nothing else going on except for the MC rally makes a living off of the money the rally brings in. Myrtle Beach, on the other hand, has plenty to attract tourists without having to tolerate the loud pipes and other nonsense. People who attend rallies need to respect the community they visit or they will only be welcome in places that don't have anything to attract other tourists.

its not just the HD crowd that has the loud pipes - seems all the cruisers these days have obnoxiously loud pipes and want to let everyone know about it.

Myrtle Beach used to be a family place but who the Hell wants to listen to biker noise at all hours of the day and night??

Evidently, not the citizens of MB and other place now.

I'm certain that is one of, if not the main reason, that ALL motorcycles are banned from the 17-mile drive near Monterey, CA. Since all motorcycles are banned, they can't claim discrimination against one type of bike....and the residents are the ones who invoked the rule. Imagine that, they actually want peace and quiet in their homes and at the golf course! :rolleyes:

I know that there are laws in some states (no idea what S.C. has on the books) that allow for police to ticket loud pipes. In New York it is illegal to modify your exhaust. So if there was a push on enforcing the laws on the books, some of the loud pipe guys might be forced into bankruptcy or put some reasonable pipes back on their bikes.

Just my .02

"Though no one has been able to quantify the amount of money that comes into the city from either bike rally, Dean said some hotels, bars and restaurants do better in May while theaters, amusements, retailers and golf courses see a "steep decline" in revenue.”

Most of the vendors are not from MB. Lot's o' that cash never makes it into the coffers of the people of MB.

By the numbers Here is a look at the city of Myrtle Beach's expenses for the May motorcycle rallies.

Harley-Davidson "Cruisin' the Coast" spring rally

Police overtime for 10 days -- $142,000

Public Works and Cultural and Leisure Services overtime -- $936

Human Resources overtime -- $282

Trash collected -- 11 tons

Total extra personnel costs -- $143,218

Atlantic Beach Memorial Day Bikefest

Police overtime for four days -- $126,000

Public Works and Cultural and Leisure Services overtime -- $11,574

Human Resources overtime -- $367

Trash collected -- 25 tons

Total extra personnel costs -- $137,941

Food and water for both events

Police officers -- $16,572

Firefighters -- $270

Human Resources -- $424

Total food and water -- $17,266

I see more articles like this one everyday...and as much as I hate to admit it we are the minority and will be painted with the same brush as our cruiser brethren.

Public Backlash
Ahhhh.........you do have several points there. I guess most of us would rather ride than play golf! I stand corrected. :unsure:

"It's noise all day and all night, the traffic is atrocious, and you feel like you have to just knuckle under and stay close to home."

Sheesh. And I thought the traffic and noise was bad when I inadvertently made the mistake of visiting Myrtle Beach during May 1991...and that was before the most recent bike craze. I can't imagine what it was like this year.

If it was that big of an issue around the country it would be better enforced.

The sky is falling - or it's a slow news week ;)

Kerrville, Texas is tired of the shit too, straight pipes on the square is now a disturbing the peace citation. Put DB meters in a traffic cops hands and go after the loud ones I say. I hate to see old couples and kids holding their ears when I fire up the bike, like we all put out 130 DB @ 10 feet.

Sturgis seems to have things worked out....
32-20-5. Muffler required--Modification of muffler prohibited--Violation as petty offense. Every motorcycle shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system is complete with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. No person may make any alteration or modification of any muffler. A violation of this section is a petty offense.

Yeah right....! :huh: :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
reminds me of an old couple in the elevator at the condo in Daytona this march complaining about the noise. DUH, it is called BIKE WEEK for a reason. I did get tired of hearing all the Milwaukee made fart blasters myself. You couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a chopper. Damn idiots need to learn how to ride instead of trying to look cool.

Hearing loss is permanent and cumulative. Every time you hear a loud noise that hurts it has taken away a small part of you hearing, forever. It all adds up. OK, so if a rider chooses to live with loud noise and a future ear trumpet, that's a personal choice, but don't blame people for wanting that noise out of range of their hearing.

Reading the MB papers it appears the town has had it this time. The natives appear to be very pissed off. Hasn't one of the large Kalimexifornia rallies been shut down in the past couple of years too? Hollister? I see noise ordinances being proposed regularly. Maybe $500 fines will do for straight pipes what $4 dollar gas has done for Hummers. I go to the Davis Rally almost every year. It is nice to be able to carry on a conversation without screaming to be heard over the blat of the V-Twins with straight pipes.

Please Leave Myrtle Beach!!!

Any members live in the City of Denver? I read an article a while back in AMA magazine that the City of Denver has passed an ordinance making it illegal to run anything other than stock OEM pipes on your bike. Before someone asks I don't know how DPD enforces the ordinance. The point is, like it or not, more of this type of legislation is on the horizon.

Last Sunday we were relaxing in camp as riders went by, leaving the Morro Bay clan gathering. You could barely hear most of them any more than the cars that passed, but could easily hear the "cruisers" going down Hwy 1, which was about a mile away.

Monday morning, Adam Carolla was going OFF on the "Look at me" crowd in their costumes and on their loud motorcycles. I was in pure bliss listening to his rant about how useless those things are at doing anything but going in a straight line and making noise!