California Maps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&S

Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations for good maps for touring California. I have seen a couple of different companies on line but it is hard to tell. I have a few books but if you have book recommendations that would be great too. There was a post here a while back where the one of the company's California maps was discussed but I can not find the post. Thanks.

I am looking for recommendations for good maps for touring California. I have seen a couple of different companies on line but it is hard to tell. I have a few books but if you have book recommendations that would be great too. There was a post here a while back where the one of the company's California maps was discussed but I can not find the post. Thanks.
I don't know if this is what you were thinking of but there is a ton of information here: https://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

Dennis

A "Gazatteer" is a pretty handy book as well. Usually sold at sporting goods stores.

I'd have mentioned Pashnit if he hadn't. Good outfit. But there's also Butler Motorcycle Maps. I've looked at them at the big traveling Progressive Insurance bike show and they look pretty good, but they're not complete: only a few states and areas are covered, at least so far. They do have Southern Cal, however (link goes to that one), so if you want one for your area it's another possibility.

Friction Zone is a good west coast monthly magazine. she publishes alot of neat rides with first hand experince. She also sells a DVD of all of the rides .

You can see it on line @ www.friction-zone.com

Thanks for the replies, they helped. I looked at all of the recommended products and ordered the Butler Map and Pashnit. I already used Pashnit for 2 rides this last weekend. Destination Highway's website says they are coming out with a So Cal version. Thanks again.

The difference between Pashnit and Dest Hwy is Pashnit has all the roads, including the crummy ones, whereas Dest Hwy has just the very best twisty roads with ratings. A couple of years ago I road all DH roads in Nor Cal from I-5 to the coast. The only trip planning I did was pack the DH book and map. The road was my destination- perfect and it was a great trip.

I used Pashnit before it went subscription. I have not used Butler.

Last edited by a moderator: