California only FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite518

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a California FJR and a 49-state FJR?

A friend of mine alerted me to the fact that if I buy a used vehicle from another state, and if it has less than 7500 miles on the odo, I will be UNABLE to register it in California. See here.

WTF?

That's correct, Mr. White !!!

FJR's have a California model - with a really sweet 2 lb charcoal cannister and some different routing on vent lines.

And if you purchase a used bike out of state, it must have at least 7500 miles to register it in California.

So - I know you're looking at one back east - how many miles does it have on it?

Hal....

I like you, but YOU SUCK! Death to the carrier of bad news. :angry2:

Massive suckage. You know, there are a ton of Gen II's with less than 7500 on them.

Like this one for instance.

Massive suckage. You know, there are a ton of Gen II's with less than 7500 on them.
I know where there's an '03 with a bit more than 7,500 on it. I think was like 137,500 or something. ;)

If you have an '08 with less than 7,500....I'm sure he'll trade straight across. ;)

The bike is in BFE Tennessee for God's sake. If you fly out there, ride to Canada, down to Mexico, Brazil, Venezuela, Australia and then back to California, you should have put the missing 6301 miles on the bike. If not, just ride it from Tennessee to Albuquerque. I'll let you store it in my garage for FREE. I'll call you when it has 7500 miles on it. :rolleyes:

Hm, I wonder if anyone's ever challenged this? Florida used to have a $295 fee for "importing" a car, and it was successfully struck down on the basis that it violated the Free Interstate Commerce Clause of the Constitution. This was 10 or 15 years ago, and there's nothing on the web about it. I definitely remember it as I got my money back and I was a very poor student at the time. However, I did see where the $300 smog fee in California was struck down in https://caselaw.findlaw.com/data2/californi...ses/c028340.doc

As far as I'm concerned, any legal smacking-about that California gets, is a good one.

The bike is in BFE Tennessee for God's sake. If you fly out there, ride to Canada, down to Mexico, Brazil, Venezuela, Australia and then back to California, you should have put the missing 6301 miles on the bike. If not, just ride it from Tennessee to Albuquerque. I'll let you store it in my garage for FREE. I'll call you when it has 7500 miles on it. :rolleyes:
Not a bad idea. How about if it happens to grow a set of HID lights while it's at your place?

Ya know there is always a loop hole somewhere. If it's close to the 7K miles maybe you could get it and put some miles on it. Also you might be able to challenge this at the DMV. Always ask to speak to the manager.

I can't believe if you moved after purchasing a new bike etc they won't let you register it. I understand they are trying to prevent people from buying a 49 state bike and brining it into Cali to get around our little smog PC crapola.

I have never tried to do this myself; however, I have successfully registered an out of country dirt bike (from Canada) without a pink slip or registration, just a faxed bill of sale to the second owner (I was the third owner). I squared it away by speaking to the manager and signing a Statement Of Facts as to the history of the bike. ;)

Another thing when buying or selling vehicles ALWAYS sign for Power of Attorney. If anything is goofy you get to sign for it as if you were the previous owner. I do this on sales or I sign away power of attorney to the new owner. That way they won't have to come back to me for anything strange the DMV pulls. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
jwhite518 If you realy want a FJR from out of State with less than 7500 miles.

You could haul it to empty parking lots or Race Track in California and ride it untill you get 7500 miles on it? Ya it would take FOREVER. But you would get to ride it.

If you have family out side California you could trust? They could put it in there name and state. Then get them to lone it to you in writing. Then drive it around in Cal. If you get pulled over just show your paper stating its on loan from your family member. My best advice talk to your State DMV.

I can't believe if you moved after purchasing a new bike etc they won't let you register it.
There's a loophole for people who relocate.

Ya know I could probably game the system. But I'm too much of a goody two shoes to bother with all that mess. I'll just deal with the regs...buy a low mi bike from CA, or something a little higher from 49 states. Hell, even 15K on an 06 isn't too bad for an FJR.

Yeah, it's better not to mess with the system. CARB and CDMV rule with an iron fist.

If you get caught, the bike can never be registered in CA. (According to Bay Area Riders Forum, or BARF)

The bike is in BFE Tennessee for God's sake. If you fly out there, ride to Canada, down to Mexico, Brazil, Venezuela, Australia and then back to California, you should have put the missing 6301 miles on the bike. If not, just ride it from Tennessee to Albuquerque. I'll let you store it in my garage for FREE. I'll call you when it has 7500 miles on it.
That won't fly. Kali DMV bases the mileage on what's written on the pink slip/bill of sale. Buy it in Tennessee with 6500 miles on it, put 1500 miles on it driving to Kalifornia, try to register it, and as Dudewado notes you'll never be able to register it in Kali ever again. Never. Uh uh. Nope.

If it's privately owned, have the current owner do nothing but sign the title. No date, no miles, nothing but a signature.

You fill it in when your ready to register it.

Don't ask me how I know that this method works.......

Find a friendly soul who lives in New Hampshire and register it to your name at his address and ride it until you have 7500 miles on the clock, then transfer it to California.

Why NH? Becaues they don't charge sales tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Find a friendly soul who lives in New Hampshire and register it to your name at his address and ride it until you have 7500 miles on the clock, then transfer it to California.
Why NH?

Neither does Arizona. (on private party sales)

I would be happy to put the 5,000 miles on it or so that you need. And just because I like you, I won't even crash it. :rolleyes: