Calling all Gen3 owners! Lets talk about riding modes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What riding mode do you use?

• Total voters
Lets see if I can add to the confusion.
smile.png

I haven't ridden a 2013 FJR but have a S10 and the comments about the FJR riding modes seem very similar to the S10's dual mode (Touring and Sport). The different power levels between the modes has been debated on the S10 forum for a year and I think it has finally been resolved with some pretty extensive dyno runs that were just published. As it turns out there is a dramatic difference in HP between the 2 modes but only in the first 4 gears. How much? About 25 percent in second gear (they couldn't get a 1st gear dyno run due to wheel hopping on the dyno) and about 20 percent in 3rd and 4th. The difference in 5th and 6th was very minor, less than 2 percent.

My experience, riding the S10, is that the Touring mode in much easier to make smooth starts, is slightly smoother at highway speeds, and may get a little better gas mileage. The Sport mode always feels faster with its quicker throttle response, but the actual performance is pretty much the same.........unless I am riding hard uphill and running 3rd and 4th at higher rpm levels and even then there isn't that much difference. The Sport mode's higher HP can be almost be totally offset by the Touring mode's smoother power delivery allowing the rider to roll on the throttle earlier when accelerating out of a corner.

I would guess that the FJR's power restrictions in the 2 modes are probably similar to the S10s in the lower gears but the output in 5th gear is probably about the same. If you like the Touring mode you should use it....that's what I do on the S10.
After reading that I am still getting - Sport = fast , Tour = slow.

And I gather this is NOT traction control as I understand it, just a slower to respond throttle. Many here have logged countless miles through all types of conditions using what I assume is the (only) "sport" setting on their Gen 1+2's.

Again not getting it. :(

After reading that I am still getting - Sport = fast , Tour = slow.

And I gather this is NOT traction control as I understand it, just a slower to respond throttle. Many here have logged countless miles through all types of conditions using what I assume is the (only) "sport" setting on their Gen 1+2's.

Again not getting it.
sad.png
The '13 has Traction Control. This is completely separate from the Sport/Tour mode. Tour mode, as I understand it still allows you the same power, it just comes on more progressively. This is the electronic equivalent of the G2 Throttle Tamer that many of us installed on the Gen 2 to tame the abrupt throttle response.

Since not every one needed the G2 on the Gen2, not every rider will need the Touring mode. But, it is there if it is wanted or needed. The best part is it can be changed easily by scrolling through a menu, nothing to be done mechanically, no extra parts to buy.

I don't see why this makes you so unhappy. All these wonderful improvements with very little change in purchase price, why get upset that Yamaha has made these changes to give the rider more choices and control?

Rode 250 miles the past 2 days, cold outside............... I am getting used to the sport mode but still not a fan of the instant on. As an owner of 5 current Yamaha snowmobile and having owned 45 of them the past 30 winters I am a huge fan of instant acceleration and have done numerous clutching mods to try and emulate what I now get on a street bike. Tought too ride in our conditions but getting better. Getting used to sport or touring has been easy this week, tomorrow will tell more!!!! Thinking about trailering to Flolrida for xmas week, maybe a track day on my kids r=6 then ride to key west.... any suggestion?

The best part is it can be changed easily by scrolling through a menu, nothing to be done mechanically, no extra parts to buy.
Actually there is a designated button on the right side handlebar housing that is just for this function. Thumb it to the left to switch back and forth as long as the throttle is closed.

And I think the reason not all early Gen II owners needed the G2 was, 1) Some folks just don't realize how bad it is, and 2) based on my three 04 FJRs, not all FJRs are created equal when it comes to their fueling. Some are worse than others.

And I think the reason not all early Gen II owners needed the G2 was, 1) Some folks just don't realize how bad it is, and 2) based on my three 04 FJRs, not all FJRs are created equal when it comes to their fueling. Some are worse than others.
Thanks for the correction.

I agree, not all are created equal. Dad's '07 was so bad that to ride down my road with the 15 mph speed limit was worse than the mechanical bull at Gilley's. You simply could not find a gear/RPM to allow it. Smooth as silk now though. Every time he rides it he comments on how much better it works. The thought of just toggling a switch to smooth response sounds like heaven to Dad and I. Being able to switch back and forth as conditions change is truly having the best of both worlds.

I have asked him several times about upgrading to the '13. While I am sure $$$ is the major consideration, he says that he just got this one perfect after 5 years of ownership. BTW, he was astonished when I told him that the Cruise Control is limited to 80mph. "What the hell do they do out West?" he asked.

After 200 miles using both modes, and having just replaced my 07, I beleive the 's' mode is faster than the orginal gen II normal, and the 't' is really a tame setting that I would use only on the interstate IMO

...having just replaced my 07, I beleive the 's' mode is faster than the orginal gen II...
Yeah, well so is this...

Vespa_LX_150_ie_MidnightBlue.jpg
Oh for Petey's sake, we can't even get a kinder and gentler RadioHowie for the Christmas Holidays? Even HotRodZilla has been wearing his Tiny Tim outfit and singing carols!

Well, being new to FJR's and being away from motorcycling for over 20 years, I can appreciate having 2 modes. I've only been in touring mode while learning the bike, and feel it has enough pull for me. I figure when the time comes that I feel the it has become mundane, I'll be able to switch to sport and feel like I have a new bike! So, for now, touring works for me.

for me,, i really like the choice. solo twisties = sport and more "fun". i found i like touring for 2 up. I also like touring for later in the day when i'm a bit tired and want a more relaxed ride as there is less engine braking. i also like t mode in town as i feel safer when pulling from side streets with the smooth power .