Camping two up on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali_rider

Reaction score
So it looksl ike my girlfriend is going to do her first motorcycle camping trip with me next month when I ride up to the FJRays Rueben meetup in LaPine. The trick is that I have never tried camping on the bike two up. Any recomendations? Loading gear? I have a Givi V46 top case and of course the two side cases. What about mounting tent and sleeping bag but still leaving room for the pillion? Going try 5 nights so I need to start figuring this out....LOL

Just make your girlfriend hold everything. She needs to make herself useful back there.

Seriously though, here's a couple threads:

CLICK

CLICK

CLICK

You can also search the site using "search term" site:fjrfoum.com on google. No quotes needed for the search term

It might be easier to ditch the top case and just load up your rack. I use a very large dry bag instead. clicky I use it for all the camping gear including the tent, sleeping bags, lighting, stove and other odds and ends. I put all the clothing and food in the two saddle bags. I even put a couple of GCI folding chairs on top of it and strap it all down. The hardest part is keeping your GF from bringing the hair dryer and kitchen sink!

Last edited by a moderator:
The trick to camping 2-up, that I found is....The more you spend on gear the smaller, and lighter everything is. We use the larger Givi trunk, and it holds a 2 man tent w/poles, Kelty 12x12 tarp, 2 *40 sleeping bags zipped together in a compressable stuff-sac, 2 pair flipflops, rope, MSR 6 liter Dromdary bag, Thermacell (w/refill), and a frisbee. 2 Thermarest sleeping pads get strapped to the luggage rack on the Givi trunk. Side cases 1 for me 1 for her, reserved for clothing, rain gear, and personal items. And finally tank bag is used for snacks, electronics (phone, camera, etc), and water bottle. It's a tight fit but we made it work through Canada, and BRP. We could'nt fit cooking gear so we ate off the $ menu alot. I've done ALOT of Motocamping over the years, so if you have more ?'s just ask. :)

There is a lot of if’s to answering this question. Of course it can be done. It is a matter of personal choice. IMHO, it is not something the FJR does well. Most couples struggle to ride two up and hotel it let alone camp. There are other bikes that carry more weight and do it better than a FJR and I knew that going in. I figured the wife would not ride with me much - I was right, so for me the FJR is a great mount.

For the RTE I would hotel it, but I hear hotels in LaPine are booked – bummer if it is true.

I used to camp when motorcycling but I gave it up this year. I am at a place now where I can afford a room for the night. I like a climate controlled room, no bugs, a hot shower and a soft bed. Finding a place to camp, unpack, live in a tent and get up and repack just got old. The bike handles better without the gear – and my gear was light weight. I am 56 years old and it is time to enjoy life while I can.

The RTE is in the middle of September when there is about 12 hours of day light so it is likely you will spend 10 or so hours on the sleep pad on the hard ground in the tent. My old bod aches after 6 to 8 hours in a tent, even with a nice sleeping bag pad like the Exped Airmat 7.5. And with a mummy bag you can’t separate your legs – for me this very uncomfortable, especially after 10 hours.

My wife takes a curling iron when we travel and we stay in hotels. Helmet hair being what it is – I simply can’t fathom why bring a curling iron on a motorcycle trip. Now if you girlfriend is wired different than my wife you are in luck.

First you can't bring much of anything – the FJR saddle bags are woefully misshaped – a function follows form thing - grrrrr. I don’t like the diamond cut of the saddle bags – it waste space.

If your girlfriend is one to bring a lot of stuff then game over side out. Each of you gets one pair of shoes, your riding shoes (shoes take up a lot of space), two under wear, 2 shirts each, etc etc. One wallet shared, no purse. You must to think in terms of ounces, not pounds and be on the same page with her. Everything matters. Hey does this sound like fun now? Just hauling basic textile gear and finding a place for the inner liners for two people on a warm day will be a challenge, not to mention rain gear.

I have done a lot of backpacking and like me you will have to have some very lightweight camping gear. Lash the sleeping bags in stuff sacks on top of your saddle bags with half the tent in each side. Lashing the stuff sacks will mare/scratch to the top of your saddle bags unless you have protective film installed on the bags.

An empty Givi G46 exceeds the FJR’s recommended tail weight capacity, so loading it up puts the sub-frame under excessive stress. (ask DCarver about that.) Leave the Givi half empty for stashing gear when it is warm out. You can lash sleeping pads to your Givi G46 if it has a top rack. Try hard to not over-load the tail whether by trunk or tail bag – the sub-frame is the FJR Achilles heel when it comes to loading it up.

Eat on the road – forget trying to bring food or even a lightweight stove for coffee in the morning.

As you live in Sacramento you are near some of the best motorcycle roads on the planet. Go to LaPine solo then take your girlfriend on a nice trip to the Sierras take in Yosemite and stay in rooms along the way. Alternatively go to Fort Bragg, use it as a base for a day or two and enjoy loop rides on some of the great roads in Northern California. She will love the ocean! Last idea; go ride some of the great roads in Napa Valley, go on a wine tour in a bus for the day, again staying in hotels along the way. She will love it and when the honey is happy everybody is happy!

If I was to travel two up on the FJR for longer periods I would strongly consider getting a trailer like AuburnFJR and others.

Unfortunately, my response is less optimistic... I don't think you can enjoyably do a two person camping trip on the FJR! It just doesn't have storage room for two people plus camping gear plus normal travel stuff. A two up trip in hotels? Doable, but add camping gear? Just no place to attach it.

Echoing some points Fontanaman made, the two saddle bags combined hold less then my internal frame backpack. So using my compact, lightweight backpacking gear on the bike, I'm still forced to put the overflow gear in a duffel bag across rear seat. This scenario is just for my solo trip.

If you're going to try it, I would start laying out gear now and figuring out how to mount it on bike.

Unfortunately, my response is less optimistic... I don't think you can enjoyably do a two person camping trip on the FJR! It just doesn't have storage room for two people plus camping gear plus normal travel stuff. A two up trip in hotels? Doable, but add camping gear? Just no place to attach it.

Echoing some points Fontanaman made, the two saddle bags combined hold less then my internal frame backpack. So using my compact, lightweight backpacking gear on the bike, I'm still forced to put the overflow gear in a duffel bag across rear seat. This scenario is just for my solo trip.

If you're going to try it, I would start laying out gear now and figuring out how to mount it on bike.
Gee and I thought I was pessimistic. ha ha..... Since Denver_FJR has opened the flood gates of pessimism, let's say it is damn hard to camp two up on the FJR. My hats off to those who. Not my idea of fun at all.

Certainly can enjoy a camping trip on a FJR 2 up. BUt you probably need this to make it more comfortable.

1084IMG_2807a.jpg

Here is camp set up.

1309BCTrip060311_0755a.jpg

Another day and a different camp site

107.jpg

A typical dinner, rib steack and mushrooms and oinions in the foil. Usually had breakfast or a brunch on the road about 9 or 10 AM after a tank of fuel is run through the bike first thing in the morning.

1073BCTrip052911_0166a.jpg

BUt seriously, it would be difficult without the trailer. We have all our camping gear, and ice chest. You still have to be careful about what you pack, but it is easier. We have done three long trips now (4-6000 miles each usually about 10 to 11 days long camping the whole way. These pictures were from a trip throug Alaska, BC, Yukon, Alberta and back to Washington last year.

The biggest advantage with camping is you are not chasing a reaservation at a motel. We did that one year and it sucked, we were always pressed to get somewhere. Camping, we have a general idea of where we want to stop, but it is much easier to adjust on the fly and not be worried about finding a place to camp. Our main criteria when camping os to find a place with showers if possible. If not at least every other day. If the weather is really bad (which it has not been on any of our trips so far) we are prepared to call an audible and get a hotel room for the night.

Auburn, very nice setup... didn't think I'd like red on the FJR but it wears it pretty well! :)

What brand of hitch do you use with your trailer and are you happy with how it tows with your lady riding 2up?

Thanks!

Thanks. It is a bushtec hitch and trailer. Tows very well into the triple digits. With the the airshocks for suspension the trailers does not transmit any bumps to the bike. You do notice the wieght when slowing or accelerating, but that is to be expected.

Damn, you guys have me rethinking the camping. I already do some of the tips like I dont do meals at the campsite, I eat out. I just need food, clothes, tent and sleeping bag. I use my clothes for a pillow and my girlfriend will do the same. My biggest challenge will be mounting the tent to the bike without interfereing with rider or passenger. THe other stuff I feel confident in getting in the cases. I may do a hotel one night but this is a budget minded trip....I dotn have the pesos to be doing a hotel every night. It seems to be a minimum of $100 a night for a hotel room...I am going to see if I can get the tent to mount between the top case and the taillights...not sure theres enough room.

Before loading up top case and tail area on an FJR please consider Mamaha's recommendation for top case weight capacity (about zip sh!t) and also check out sub-frame damage threads on the forum. Do a google search sub-frame damage site:fjrforum.com or just clicky.

Yeah, camping on the FJR is'nt all that hard, I've done it so many times now and it gets easier every time. I've saved a hell of alot of money over the years, and have awesome memories, stories, and photos of the great outdoors. The money I've saved in hotel rooms has allowed me to get some high quality, high tech gear that allows me to camp comfortably from late April till early November in N.E. Here is a link to another forum that is devoted to Motocamping as we call it! You will find all kinds of info, and some really cool peeps, even if some of them ride Hardlys. Let me know if you need any advice with gear, I have lots of experience. :D

Well, I talked to a friend of mine and he offer to loan me his Jo's Upack:

https://www.josupac.com/main1.html

You guys are starting to make me question the FJR as a sport touring bike...and I am starting to question what the love for this bike is. All these issues on this one bike...I had to add a G2 throttle tube and a power comander so it doesnt buck like a son of a bitch, I need to do a clutch soak so the clutch plates can actually disengage...My windshield has play in it only to find thats normal and looking at the mechanism it appears to be a bad stack of tolerances. I need to add additional grounding so that doesnt fry, I have to undo a spring winding becasue my wrist isnt on par with the incredible hulk, and now I come to find my frame may break if I put shit in the top case while riding two up???? WTF.....I have never ran into so many issues bundled in one bike....when I had my BMW's, people criticized (mostly japanese bike riders) the BMW quality / reliability but in over 10 BMW's I have never seen so much shit that should have been caught early on...and to think this is Yamahas second crack at making this shit right. Its sad becasue it could be a great bike....but the frame cracking is definatelty a huge disapointment.

Sorry you don't like your FJR.

Love mine and have no problem camping solo if I want to. 2-up is motel time for me and wifey.

Recommend you get a trailer like Auburn if 2-up and camping.

Well, I talked to a friend of mine and he offer to loan me his Jo's Upack:

https://www.josupac.com/main1.html

You guys are starting to make me question the FJR as a sport touring bike...and I am starting to question what the love for this bike is. All these issues on this one bike...I had to add a G2 throttle tube and a power comander so it doesnt buck like a son of a bitch, I need to do a clutch soak so the clutch plates can actually disengage...My windshield has play in it only to find thats normal and looking at the mechanism it appears to be a bad stack of tolerances. I need to add additional grounding so that doesnt fry, I have to undo a spring winding becasue my wrist isnt on par with the incredible hulk, and now I come to find my frame may break if I put shit in the top case while riding two up???? WTF.....I have never ran into so many issues bundled in one bike....when I had my BMW's, people criticized (mostly japanese bike riders) the BMW quality / reliability but in over 10 BMW's I have never seen so much shit that should have been caught early on...and to think this is Yamahas second crack at making this shit right. Its sad becasue it could be a great bike....but the frame cracking is definatelty a huge disapointment.
'cept that final drive issue that BMW doesn't acknowledge... ;)

Sorry you don't like your FJR.
I wouldnt say I dont like my FJR.....I am just very frustrated with the number of issues that have been encountered or that are likely (casuing limitation, such as the subframe). This just isnt what I expected based of all the rave reviews and the so called japanese build quality/reliability....Very dissapointed. It makes me miss my BMW RT even more....and I will eventually try going back to one, once the bank account allows such. I am just happy I didnt pay allot for mine.

So I did the G2, no biggie. Have not done the spring unwind or Power Commander and while still a bit touchy, I rail in the mountains and have no issues.

My windshield does have a little but it is aftermarket and I like to speed, so I forgive it. :)

The grounding was a recall, as were a few other things, no biggie and it shows Yamaha standing behind its products.

As for the subframe as far as I know it only happens when people really overload the tail.

Is the FJR the greatest bike ever? Nope. Is it a great bike overall, and one of the best at what it does? Yup!