Can you see me NOW?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
I was nearly rear-ended recently while slowing to make a turn at a fairly major intersection (with my turn signal on and using my brakes, of course). I started looking for some additional attention-grabbing lights on the back of my bike. I decided to go with some LED bars that are called "Knight Riderz" for reasons that will become obvious. This was my first lighting/wiring project. Hopefully my installation notes will give other first-timers some ideas and courage.

Videos of the lights in action:

A photo of the final result for the ADHD sufferers among us:

knight_riderz_complete.jpg

Unfortunately, the two LED bars are not operating at the same speed. When in the running-light mode, they start off completely opposite of each other (what I wanted) but gradually become synchronized, then opposite again... like watching your own turn signal in comparison to another vehicle's turn signal. Maybe some electronics experts out there might have some ideas on how I could solve this?

I discovered that light-duty brackets can easily be created with a sheet of plexiglass and a dremel, seen here being held in place with a screwdriver:

knight_riderz_bracket.jpg

When the license plate bracket is installed through the plexiglass bracket, the bracket will stick out above and below the license plate, providing mounting surfaces for the LED bars. The above photo shows both braids of wires running back through the fender, but I ended up splicing the wiring together into a single braid of wires before it goes through the fender. You may also notice that I had to remove the little fin on the fender just below the license plate.

Here you can see the (new, single braid) wiring behind the fender, going a fresh hole into the tail of the bike:

knight_riderz_fender_wiring.jpg

I should've put some type of protective covering on the wiring before I routed it and made the final connections. I guess I'll just wrap it with some electrical tape, then come up a clever way of securing it to the back-side of the fender so it doesn't just dangle (it'll probably involve that license plate bracket bolt near the wiring). I used a router bit for the dremel to cut the hole on the back-side of the tail tray, rather than drilling a straight up through the bottom.

Here, you can see my soldered and electrical-taped connections into the bike's tail-light wiring:

knight_riderz_wire_connection.jpg

The wires can be tucked in and hidden nicely. I'm sure I'll need to cut the wires and add connectors someday if I take the tail of my bike apart. For now, they'll stay hard-wired. A multimeter and a needle (for poking through the insulation to the wire) makes it easy to identify the running light wire (constant 12v) and the brake light wire (12v only when brakes engaged). The black wire is ground.

And, finally, a close-up of one of the LED bars mounted to the plexiglass bracket:

knight_riderz_bracket_detail.jpg

The LED bars come with 3M double-sided tape already mounted to them. I originally mounted them directly to the plexiglass sheet with this tape. I didn't realize the LED lights are so directional (only look very bright from a small range of viewing angles) until after they were mounted. I removed them with some goo-gone, a small screwdriver and some patience, then created small shims with plexiglass and re-mounted them with plenty of silicone adhesive. They are now very bright when viewing from behind, instead of shining up at the sky. Also visible in this photo is an adhesive felt pad to prevent possible vibration noise between the fender and the plexiglass.

The floor is open for discussion :)

Very nice. I have hyperlites on mine, and I think they make a big difference in the visibility.

And if I'm proven wrong, I am going for the "Rrocket Launcher Mounted on Topcase" approach.

-BD

Thanks for the pics and the video. I hope it doesn't put the driver behind you into a trance causing exactly what you're trying to avoid ;-)

Those are nice! wonder if they are legal though since the they wig wag(is that a word?).

They seem really intense at night, Almost too intense... If thats possible! :lol:

Another thing, Your Bassett really wanted to come out and play! :haha:

Very nice. I have hyperlites on mine, and I think they make a big difference in the visibility.
Trust me on this, I followed SmokeFJR around West Virginia/Virginia for two days at EOM - he's got hyperlights on his scoot. I'll be putting them on this winter. Made a believer out of me!

Thanks for the pics and the video. I hope it doesn't put the driver behind you into a trance causing exactly what you're trying to avoid ;-)
The bright flashing when I hit the brakes should break them out of the trance :) . I really had a hard time deciding between these lights and the version that stays solidly on at a low intensity for the running light. I decided to believe that the moving lights would act as attention grabbers like flashing amber lights on a tow truck. I'd like to see a scientific study on this topic.

Cool idea on the plexiglas.

Next time you wire something up, check into heat shrink tubing to protect the wires from chafing. Betcha you'll be fiddling with this again in 10K miles. The rear fender vibrates enough to wear through the wiring insulation in short order. Also, use rubber grommets where wires pass through the fender and any flat surface with an edge. Believe you me, the little extra mile you go on wiring projects will save you tons of aggrevation later.

I use Priority lights (turn signals are running, brake and turn), hyperlights (dual 16 LED style) for brake only, signal dynamics dual intensity LED bar (running/brake), and LED brake lights on the Givi E52. Not to mention Hi-viz 'stitch. Yes, they see me! Excessive? Sure...but cagers never creep up on me or show any sign that they do not see me. And they stay WAY back...who wouldn't, it's obnoxious and painful to look at! Exactly the intention.

I chose not to install the flashing module on anything. Guess I'm of the school that flashing lights attract, distract, and hynotize the cagers. Ever fixiated on the flashing light at an intersection or construction horse? Happens all the time. I also hate the headlight flasher modules...I tend to stare at them...you go where you look and target fixation is something anyone can get trapped into. Drunks especially.

Yo Iggy...wow I forgot KITT has that cool turbo button. I could use that on the FJR for those pesky cement trucks and Volvo (Vulva) drivers. Ya think Traxxion Dynamics would have a spring to handle the landings? TurMoto-FJR!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Useless....

I've opted for flashers as well in ordering a set of the Kisantech modulated-flash brake light bulb replacements for my '08 which I don't even have yet! I guess you'd call me a "pre-farkler". They seem a simple farkle; curious to see the condition of regular running light intensity though. One thing I do like though and addresses the "attraction to flash" thought is the fact that the modulated flash decays to solid on in 4 seconds. Sounds good!! I'll let you know if I get killed in a rearender. :unsure: