Caught in a sandstorm. Need your advice.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELP_JC

Reaction score
Actually, a dirtstorm, which was much worse than sand. This stupid town is all dirt, and combined with 50+ mph winds, you can imagine the consequences.

Anyway, I feel lucky I didn't dump the bike, as I was on the verge of doing that when I had to stop to turn, and I could barely keep the bike upright.

The damage is a heavily pitted windscreen and headlight, but the paint sustained no visible damage. My question is what product should I use to try to at least minimize the pittng, and if on both the screen and headlights, or just one (which??). Some screen materials can be scratched to hell while trying to polish them, hence my asking. Guess I could safely try plastic polish on the headlights, but doubt the one I have (Griot's Garage) will do anything to the pitting. Need something more abrasive, but don't want to make matters worse, unless the experts here advice otherwise.

I was going to tint the windscreen, but if the CeeBailey's replacement is stronger than this stupid thing, I have some serious thinking to do about buying one vs tinting the stock one.

The headlights are too expensive to replace, so will live with them, but would like to make the damage less visible. And no, my deductible is $1K, so won't be using it. Thanks for your help.

JC

Actually, a dirtstorm, which was much worse than sand. This stupid town is all dirt, and combined with 50+ mph winds, you can imagine the consequences.Anyway, I feel lucky I didn't dump the bike, as I was on the verge of doing that when I had to stop to turn, and I could barely keep the bike upright.

The damage is a heavily pitted windscreen and headlight, but the paint sustained no visible damage. My question is what product should I use to try to at least minimize the pittng, and if on both the screen and headlights, or just one (which??). Some screen materials can be scratched to hell while trying to polish them, hence my asking. Guess I could safely try plastic polish on the headlights, but doubt the one I have (Griot's Garage) will do anything to the pitting. Need something more abrasive, but don't want to make matters worse, unless the experts here advice otherwise.

I was going to tint the windscreen, but if the CeeBailey's replacement is stronger than this stupid thing, I have some serious thinking to do about buying one vs tinting the stock one.

The headlights are too expensive to replace, so will live with them, but would like to make the damage less visible. And no, my deductible is $1K, so won't be using it. Thanks for your help.

JC
I have used 1500/2000 grit (wet) sandpaper and then (clear) coat scratch remover polish on clear plastic automotive head light lens with good results you would of course want to test on a very small area

Well, my bike's windshield and headlight are completey hazed and pitted, respectively.... and I never went through a dust storm.

I just think Yamaha cut a lot of corners on surfaces on this bike. The paint job is terrible with almost no clearcoat and judging from the orange peel on some parts they must paint them in a field in Florida.

Novus makes plastic polish that might help the windshield-- as may waxing it with liquid wax-- but I think the headlight cover is soft to protect the underlying plastic from being broken. You should try getting used to looking at it, or better yet, DON'T look at it.

If you powerwash the headlight cover, it will likely peel off, so don't try that.

Perhaps you could order the CeeBailey Headlight Covers? I'm guessing they are cheaper and easier to replace than the OEM headlamps. :dribble:

Bringing the plexiglas back to original will be a difficult and labor intensive process.

Thanks a lot for your words of wisdom folks.

In a way, I'm glad to read Dan23's comments; it made me feel better. Not what we want to hear, but seems the truth. At least the paint doesn't look bad. And yes, I can live with it Dan, especially if it apparently happens with enough miles on the road anyway.

Hey HiYo, that was the product I was trying to remember; will definitely try it, and leave it at that.

Cctx, I'm going to pass on that man; I never seem to make anything better that I touch with sandpaper, especially plastics.

Mike, that headlight cover would have been a nice suggestion BEFORE the incident :dribble: . Just kidding. Hate those things anyway. And after the fact, what the heck for. Believe it or not, prefer the pitted look to the headlight cover one.

So the screen is plexiglass? Am not a plastics expert, but may I ask you if you know which material is better: lexan or plexiglass? Anything even better? And who makes screens with the best material? If CeeBailey's uses the best, and it's factory tinted, I might go that route. Headlight will stay in place with just a polish. Thanks again to all.

JC

Been through El Paso under those conditions. I'd park the bike on those days if I lived there. You're lucky that's all that happened. I've seen paint stripped from vehicles under those conditions. And it's not because of some mfgr "soft paint" or corner cutting.

Get a new shield if you think you have to have one. As for the headlight, install some armor over the replacement to protect it from future damage. In the mean time start haunting the salvage places for a wrecked bike that has a usuable headlight assembly. Your beamcast is your life when riding at night. Don't skimp on making it work like it was meant to.

Last edited by a moderator:
There ought to be a product you can get to polish the plastics.

I recently hired a motorhome here in the UK and managed to scratch the nearside, plastic, window on a low-hanging tree. It just so happened that there was a motorhome and caravan dealer 3 miles from where I was staying.

They sold me a tube of something to polish the scratches out and it was very effective. The scratch went from "Omigod I'mgoingtolosemydeposit" :unsure: to "I can barely see it if I look at it from an angle with the sun reflecting off it". :rolleyes: Cost me £5 and about 15 minutes polishing.

Ergo, get yourself to a local motorhome dealer and they ought to be able to sell you something. :yahoo:

I remember when it used to rain at the same time and you had a mud storm. Yuk!
That's exactly what I got buddy, but left the dirty details out :angry2: . And yes, bike always stays parked under those conditions, but it was calm 5 minutes before it, when I left home, and clouds weren't dark; I only went to dealer 4 miles away. Live and learn, huh? Thanks again for all the comments.

JC

I wouldn't go with the CeeBailey's headlight guards. They're going to be pricey and instead of scratching your headlights, you'll scratch the $50 protectors. You'll probably still get dirt/sand stick inbetween the headlight and the shield, and it'll still look like a mess IMHO. I would go with a 3M film or something of the sort that will actually stick to the headlight. The film will be cheaper to buy, can be replaced fairly easily, and will not leave room between the headlight and the plexy covers.

I have taken some 1500 then 2000 grit sand paper to headlights. Then hit them up w/ some rubbing compound, and after that some polishing compound. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but it's pretty simple. I suggest practicing on another piece of plastic first though....

Josh

How about talking to the insurance company? I would think that comprehensive if you have it would cover the damage or at least the non-deductable part. Best of luck.

I wouldn't go with the CeeBailey's headlight guards. They're going to be pricey and instead of scratching your headlights, you'll scratch the $50 protectors. You'll probably still get dirt/sand stick inbetween the headlight and the shield, and it'll still look like a mess IMHO. I would go with a 3M film or something of the sort that will actually stick to the headlight. The film will be cheaper to buy, can be replaced fairly easily, and will not leave room between the headlight and the plexy covers.
i tried the 3m film but found the complex curve of the fjr lens made avoiding wrinkles impossible. i went with the cee bailey sheilds. i'd rather be faced with replacing a $50 cover than a $300 headlight assembly.

The headlights are too expensive to replace, so will live with them, but would like to make the damage less visible.
try this dude on our forum for his new headlight assy here.

if it did not sell on ebay, he might be willing to deal...

YMMV