Cautionary Tales about Seth Laam!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There seem to be plenty of folks out there who would buy your Laam seat. Sell it and have Russell build you one in the off season. Seriously.

There seem to be plenty of folks out there who would buy your Laam seat. Sell it and have Russell build you one in the off season. Seriously.
Why? He hasn't reported a problem with the seat. He's still trying to find out how comfortable it really is, but was too sore from the OEM seat to give the Lamm a fair evaluation.
After going through all that, I wouldn't give up that seat uless I absolutely had to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why? He hasn't reported a problem with the seat. He's still trying to find out how comfortable it really is, but was too sore from the OEM seat to give the Lamm a fair evaluation.
After going through all that, I wouldn't give up that seat uless I absolutely had to.
The sprung suspension on the Russell will be more comfortable than a lounge chair.

But I'm obviously shooting from the hip.

He should do what he wants, certainly.

I dunno ... I was disappointed to hear that his butt was so damaged by the ride on the stock seat that he is in no shape to evaluate the new seat.

But I believe him. I think he showed the patience of Job on this deal. And I still don't think he is mad enough :).

No shit about being mad enough. A seat maker would have gotten a long string of profanities from me if I had been forced to put up with that. Oh well...It wasn't me, so I don't really have any say. Just a stupid opinion.

2 1/2 hours in the saddle of a brand new seat... and I'm as happy as I expected I would be. Seth does a great job with seats, and he kept his delivery time promise.

2 1/2 hours in the saddle of a brand new seat... and I'm as happy as I expected I would be. Seth does a great job with seats, and he kept his delivery time promise.
There, see, Seth his perfect. Never any problem, just give 'em a couple of hours and life is perfect. No worries, no problems. You have Solomookie's word that there will never be any issue 'cause it went so good for him for several seats for several motorcycles.

Two sides to every story it seems Other pages and pages of different results by other people and my snide comments redacted.

There, see, Seth his perfect. Never any problem, just give 'em a couple of hours and life is perfect. No worries, no problems. You have Solomookie's word that there will never be any issue 'cause it went so good for him.

Two sides to every story it seems Other pages of different results by other people and my snide comments redacted.
:lol: ;) I know your ass is still sore, butt . . .

Solomookie is relatively new to the forum and may not yet have known that he would be subjecting himself to sarcasm for failing to read the entire 15 pages before posting re: his experience with this vendor. (Which, arguably, is not required in the rules.) Besides, it's not Friday . . . yet.

JSNS ;)

Solomookie, the seat looks great, and it is good to see that some get their seats delivered as promised.

I want to know how much Seth discounted the seats to get the FNG to post about his wonderful experience.

FNG must be new to forums in general, rather than just to this one, because Seth's reputation as Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde is quite widely known.

Slomonkey, you're a lucky guy .... you got Dr. Jekyl. Thank your lucky stars, and don't brag too much or the evil eye will catch you.

I'm upset about Alan's raw deal...but I had no idea about Seth Laams business tendencies until I read here on the Forum. If you are new to the Forum, new to FJRs, you wouldn't necessarily know. Besides, this thread is not just a "raw deal" thread.

I like mine...I'm just glad I didn't have a drop dead deadline, as they were a few weeks later than originally scheduled...

So be aware.

They are good seats, glad to have had them on our trip to BC in July. Glad I ordered mine in Feb, and had stock seats to use during the build.

Does anyone else feel that reading those rare "got my Seth Laam seat as promised" stories is sort of like spraying a fresh wound with vinegar?
banghead.gif

Don't get me wrong, I believe good stories do happen... it's my dark side speaking...
smile.png

The subject line of the thread is Cautionary Tales about Seth Laam. All I'm saying is that I have gotten multiple seats from Seth, and never had a problem. Not bragging; not promising excellent service for everyone. Simply relating my experiences. And I don't give a **** about opening myself to sarcasm. It's the internet; it's to be expected.

As a Very Satisfied customer of Seth's this thread is one of the most disappointing things I have ever read on this forum. I have been a defender of Seth's, I have recommended his seats, and I have championed his customer service.

I will no longer do so.

ionbeam's story has hit me particularly hard, I feel almost personally responsible after giving such glowing reviews and praise and defending Seth's reputation.

I would like to personally apologize to Alan (ionbeam) and anyone else whose decision was swayed by my posts on this subject. I am sorry.

I have purchased 3 seats from Seth and they have been great, but I feel like almost everything I ever posted about Seth has become a falsehood. So I finish this post with that most basic of caveats: Let the Buyer Beware.

Let's not over dramatize this service and delivery thing. The guy reportedly makes some decent custom touring seats, but can't be relied on to meet delivery dates or schedules. That is the gist of all of the churn here He also may not be the nicest guy to deal with after things go sideways, but that is not unusual for humans. No big concern, IMO, as long as you know this going into the transaction. Anyone who has read this thread is now fully aware.

The one thing about Laam seats that I have not seen well discussed is: How do the Laam seats compare to the (gold standard in comfort;) Russell Daylong seats from an all day comfort standpoint.

The folks I see raving about the Laam seat's comfort are usually those who have never owned a Russell for whatever reason. The only people that would be able to conclusively compare the two would have had to have owned one of each and ridden on them for long days, multiple days in a row, like one would do on a vacation or rally. So I am looking forward to hearing from ionbeam (who I know previously had a Russell on his 1st Gen) and any others with that experience. Does the Laam really give the same amount of comfort as a Russell, albeit at a lower price point?

Excellent summary, Fred.

1. Laam is reported to make good seats.

2. No one has compared them to Russell yet but it seems universally agreed upon that they are better than stock.

3. DO NOT expect them on a fixed delivery date regardless of promises.

I will no longer do so.
Why? You had a good experience so why not share that. This thread is to share ALL experiences from both ends of the spectrum. The product doesn't seem to be in question and because some have not had pleasant experiences with the service, that doesn't negate everything good that other people have experienced, including you. As what seems to be the point of this, if you're in a hurry for a custom seat, this may not be the vendor for you. :2cents

Excellent summary.

2. No one has compared them to Russell yet but it seems universally agreed upon that they are better than stock.

I had a Russell on my 04s.

I have a Laam on my 13.

Both do the job I want them to be able to do. My Laam did awesome today on my 790 mile ride home today from Hooterville.

And my buns are ready to do it again tomorrow if it was required. Laam works for my repeated less than 1000 mile day trips...as did the Russell. Therefore, even though they may not provide equivalent comfort in someone else's world...they do in mine!

Excellent summary.

And my buns are ready to do it again tomorrow if it was required.
Who do you think you are? Barry?