Cautionary Tales about Seth Laam!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the record my stock Hondapotamas seat is the bees knees, added a Utopia back rest to make it heaven.

My KTM is almost as hard as a Corbin
sad.png

Quick story on Rick Mayer. I bought my 04 slightly used with Rick's saddles on it. I bumped into Rick in Quincy and asked him about my saddle. His response was "that was made for a smaller ass than yours". I had to laugh at his people skills but after a ride into his shop he made it fit well and I was a happy camper for the next 85,000 miles. Too bad he let success push him off the edge as he had a good product.

Running a small business isn't always as easy as it appears so let's hope Seth can stay back on track to keep happy customers. Competition is a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll put up with Seth's idiosyncrasies to obtain another seat as good as the first one he built for me should I ever need another custom motorcycle seat.

There's a lot more to the Rick Mayer story than shows here.

Meanwhile, back at the Corbin seats, I was able to easily maintain butt comfort for 1000+ mile days on the ST1100 and the DL1000 (V-Strom) Corbins.

Back before the 2008 recession I had some Sargents custom built and they were quite good too.

Russells are hard to beat.

I think that Warchild used to swear by the Rick Mayer saddles, no?

And what's the deal with Rocky? Is he gone? Rocky had Bill's actual business. Rick felt like he had Bill's actual legacy.

What a mess....

I too like the new title.

Seth build a seat for me back in October. He was probably 10 days late on delivery, but I had heard about his delivery problems before I ordered so I knew what I was getting into. I also had an additional set of stock seats before I sent mine.

Seth called me about a week later than he said he would. We spent 20 minutes on the phone discussing what I wanted in a custom seat. I requested that the pocket be set back and made deeper so that I wouldn't slam my nutz into the gastank. I really, really wanted leather. He tried to talk me out of it, but I prevailed. He promised that I wouldn't go sliding forward, and the seat he made me is excellent.He called me with tracking info when my seat was ready to be shipped and didn't ask for payment until two days later.

If you accept that he is slammed with work and can be patient enough to wait out his backlog, he'll ultimately take good care of you. My impression is that he's a "good guy" who is damned busy (and for good reason). I'd cut him a little slack, but absolutely let him know if he screws up.

Kampod is a real user and I know him personally. I have known every step that he has gone through in the process. I hope, as Seth has promised him after seeing this post, he will return Kampod's seat this week.

Most of you might have great experience but there are times when there is a crack in the process and the quality or customer service fall through.

Seth, this is a learning opportunity. We know you are a great guy. Negative word spreads faster. Breaking trust is not easy to build it back.

Seth and Kampod, I wish and hope that this gets resolved soon(er).

I just talked to Seth today. He shipped my seat out last week and is just charging me now.

I look forward to overusing the seat this year in twisties here and places far away,

Just got a message from UPS about my seat being shipped!

When talking on a phone I offered Seth to pay for the shipment and for extra work (since it's a remake). I feel like taking some responsibility for the extra work and materials he's has to put in, since I couldn't clear explain what is that I want at the first place. (It's my first custom seat). He declined my offer to take any money for remake, but I hoped to at least pay for the shipping. Yet he already sent it. Trying to get in toch with Kaarin so I can refund him at least for UPS. Will post another update as soon as I can put the new seat on the bike! Can't promise I can ride any time soon. We got full 2ft of snow, and most of it is still there (rrrrr).

Good to hear that this small businessman is taking care of his customers. He's definitely going throu a steep learning curve.

As for sliding forward, if you still have this issue, even after the change to vinyl, get some StompGrip for the sides of the tank. My leather Bill Mayer seat is quite slick, however when I need to stay planted I just squeeze the tank with my thighs and the StompGrip holds me fast.

Brodie

🙂

I read what everyone says about SL being a very skilled seat maker ... and that he's a lousy business person.

One way to deal with his problems is for him to raise his prices fairly substantially (esp now during the peak season as he points out on his web site). With his current 60 to 70 seat back log staring him in the face ... it's killing him (and could kill his business). However, he could just raise his prices to reduce the backlog b/c that will force some of his customers to simply go elsewhere (the customers that really don't love him anyway!). Seth will then be faced with only a 30 to 40 seat backlog (less seats to produce) while profiting the same or better (at the 60 to 70 seat back log level) and he can make his on-time deliveries easier to achieve and have less pissed off customers. Branding himself as the top of the top seat maker ... people will pay for that. It's a "win win win" as Michael Scott would say.

...One way to deal with his problems is for him to raise his prices fairly substantially...he could just raise his prices to reduce the backlog b/c that will force some of his customers to simply go elsewhere...
umm.gif

Hi valued customer! My seats are hand crafted one at a time, every seat receives all the time necessary to produce the best seat possible. This restricts my ability to queue more than 10 (?) seats at a time. If you would like to have me put your seat on my schedule I will contact you 4 weeks in advance of an opening. If you don't need your seat returned right away you can send it to me and we will schedule it in, based on our current backlog of work we estimate that we could start your seat on or about July 15, 2021.

Thank you for your interest in Laam Seats, the very best that craftsmanship can produce.

Seth Laam

(And then have the discipline to only hold what ever that queue number is, no creeping, no fudging. The best possible product is worth nothing if it doesn't get into the customer's hands.)

Seth, most craftsmen will have apprentices working for them. They start on small things, learn the business and recognize that they will get paid dirt, work hard and learn a lot. Once they have worked all the 'stations' and demonstrate skill and trust they become part of the company. Big backlogs, even when being honest with customer doesn't build a good business relationship. Quality, Delivery and Price, pretty much in that order.

I read what everyone says about SL being a very skilled seat maker ... and that he's a lousy business person.
One way to deal with his problems is for him to raise his prices fairly substantially (esp now during the peak season as he points out on his web site). With his current 60 to 70 seat back log staring him in the face ... it's killing him (and could kill his business). However, he could just raise his prices to reduce the backlog b/c that will force some of his customers to simply go elsewhere (the customers that really don't love him anyway!). Seth will then be faced with only a 30 to 40 seat backlog (less seats to produce) while profiting the same or better (at the 60 to 70 seat back log level) and he can make his on-time deliveries easier to achieve and have less pissed off customers. Branding himself as the top of the top seat maker ... people will pay for that. It's a "win win win" as Michael Scott would say.
I don't think he has a 70 seat backlog. He told me to send them in last week of December...he had a couple week delay, got them done third week of January, and I have them near the end of January. So about 4 weeks from sending them in, to getting them back. I purchased some backup seats just in case due to the reputation (Good workmanship...but busy) Kaarin from Laam answered all my emails promptly...MY earlier comments from earlier years I take back...if you know that it will take awhile, its' fine...easy peasy. I purchased a set of seats and was not hindered in riding at all. The seats look good, well crafted, and the email communication was prompt.

Call me a satisfied customer. Now if George and Joe are right...this seat should work fine for me. I think it will.
smile.png

...One way to deal with his problems is for him to raise his prices fairly substantially...he could just raise his prices to reduce the backlog b/c that will force some of his customers to simply go elsewhere...
umm.gif

Hi valued customer! My seats are hand crafted one at a time, every seat receives all the time necessary to produce the best seat possible. This restricts my ability to queue more than 10 (?) seats at a time. If you would like to have me put your seat on my schedule I will contact you 4 weeks in advance of an opening. If you don't need your seat returned right away you can send it to me and we will schedule it in, based on our current backlog of work we estimate that we could start your seat on or about July 15, 2021.

Thank you for your interest in Laam Seats, the very best that craftsmanship can produce.

Seth Laam

(And then have the discipline to only hold what ever that queue number is, no creeping, no fudging. The best possible product is worth nothing if it doesn't get into the customer's hands.)

Seth, most craftsmen will have apprentices working for them. They start on small things, learn the business and recognize that they will get paid dirt, work hard and learn a lot. Once they have worked all the 'stations' and demonstrate skill and trust they become part of the company. Big backlogs, even when being honest with customer doesn't build a good business relationship. Quality, Delivery and Price, pretty much in that order.
The problem with this theory is that the Motorcycle Seat reconstruction business has a very low cost of entry

Your Garage

A table

Some, not a lot of foam, or a foam gun and appropriate chemical

a small roll of Black Naugahyde

an industrial sewing machine

Total investment less than $5,000

and.......the knowlege you gleaned working for Seth, or Rick or Sargent or Russel

Note how each of the above got their start, they worked for someone else, learned the tricks of the trade and went off on their own.

Seth's apprentice, should he engage one, will likely do the same, it is the nature of the beast.

Even if they are offered an equity stake they ask themselves why am I busting my ass for 25% of the profit when i could have it all?

<snip> Call me a satisfied customer. Now if George and Joe are right...this seat should work fine for me. I think it will.
smile.png
Hope you're happy with your new seat Mark. Seth nailed mine on the FJR and it's been awesome the three years I've had it.

--G

Yes, barriers to the "seat" business are not great. However, the apprentice time is not inconsequential.. Seth is choosing to stay small, keep his prices down while making a good return for his efforts.. 3 years ago, I rode in and discussed his business model with him. I (a retired CPA that catered to small business men for years.) can see both sides of the argument... Just adding one employee, especially in states like CA increases your costs dramatically. Plus, like has been said, you are likely training your competition... That said, if one is frugal, hardworking, one can make a very substantial income for a number of years.. With wise investing and saving that could make someone like Seth quite well off in the long term.. (Not that long in the scheme of things.) I advised him to raise his prices as he was well below his competition... I realize there is a price point where there are diminishing returns and increased competition, but that is the tricky part.. enough but not too much. LOL Something to be said for that approach. JSNS, YMMV