Cautionary Tales about Seth Laam!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The smartest thing to do, when getting a custom seat made, is to get spares bought ahead of time.

You can always resell them, when you get your custom seat back.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I feel compelled to add my experience with Seth as one in the "good" column. I arranged with Seth in advance a window of time when I would be out of the country for a few weeks on business for him to work on my seat. I told him when I would be back in the States, and I received my seat about a week thereafter. I had a completely positive experience. In fairness, that was about 18 months ago, and his circumstances may have changed more recently. As for the quality of the seat, I've done about 18K since getting it, including an Iron Butt SS1000, and I totally love the seat. Can't blame the OP for his frustration, but if the forum can sometimes be the court of public opinion, I just wanted to add a bit of evidence to consider.

Mr. Kampod has done good here. Brought forward an issue. Open to change. Revised initial post. And we all have learned.

Well done, one and all.

Now.. we wait and see if Mr. Laam improves on standard biz practices or not.

Unquestionably, the saddles are of quality.

Time will tell.

I'd like to share great news! I have the seat! and it looks like a $1M! Seth called me few days before it came and apologized for the delay (again).

I couldn't figure out how to post pictures here.Here is a link to the pictures on Google Photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/pQ1nzGG2c8mUcywc6

The first picture is of the older version of this seat - covered with leather. Then there are few pictures of the new seat, I personally prefer the new cover, even so it's just vinyl.

Didn't have a chance to ride yet... as soon as it stops raining / snowing in PA...

Good to hear that this small businessman is taking care of his customers. He's definitely going throu a steep learning curve.
As for sliding forward, if you still have this issue, even after the change to vinyl, get some StompGrip for the sides of the tank. My leather Bill Mayer seat is quite slick, however when I need to stay planted I just squeeze the tank with my thighs and the StompGrip holds me fast.

Brodie
Brodie - you're a real racer kind of guy! Interestingly enough, a guy on the ZX6R forum who does actually race recently posted this thread about the exact same subject. Summary of his message was that squeezing the tank keeps weight off your arms and hence the front forks, giving your suspension more available travel than if you support all the forward shift in weight through your arms. Also gives you more braking power before you lift the rear wheel off the ground, but not sure how many guys have done that on their FJRs
punk.gif

https://zx6r.com/zx6r/68921-strategies-track-riding-road-racing-body-position-braking.html

Seth is a one man show, and he desperately need to expand to accommodate his growing business, this unfortunately leads to some ridiculously slow turn around times on his seats.
I had my Super Tenere seat done by Seth back in 2014. At the time I was living in Seattle so I rode the 600 miles from Seattle to Redding CA. He worked my seats while I waited, then rode back (in 600 miles of rain, not seattle rain, real rain). Hands down the highest quality seat I have had done at the lowest possible price. I have owned seats by Saddle man, Mustang, and Corbin. I was extremely happy with the quality and the price.

He is a difficult guy to lock down, but he is a honorable person, he will make good, it just may not be in a timely fashion.

I would not hesitate to have my FJR seat done by him, I would prefer a ride in, because it makes the seat an experience, but living in MN now, its not very practical. So maybe next winter I will send my FJR seat in to be done by the master seat builder Seth is.
Kevininin, I disagree that Seth desperately needs more help. Last week when he had my seat there I would have agreed, but I thought alot about that. I had a Rick Myers seat on a cruiser in the past. Rick had gone the other direction in hiring help as his business grew, which led to much less quality. I had to send my seat back, and the end result was only adequate. With Seth, as everyone stated he is a one man show, what goes through his hands are 2nd to none. When I talked to him on 3 occasions, I knew that he understood my needs, and that the person I was talking to on the phone was the very same person that was going to be working on my seat. That was important to me. I am willing to wait for that quality.

What is it about MC after-market suppliers and tweakers that makes them so eccentric?

Day-Long

Corbin

Dale Walker's Hole Shot

Gerbing

Ivan Rovinsky--Ivan's Performance Products

just to name a few...all eccentric.

What is it about MC after-market suppliers and tweakers that makes them so eccentric?Day-Long

Corbin

Dale Walker's Hole Shot

Gerbing

I have never met any of these principles but perhaps this may apply. Shall we consider them artists of a sort? Do you not find most artists eccentric??

What is it about MC after-market suppliers and tweakers that makes them so eccentric?Day-Long

Corbin

Dale Walker's Hole Shot

Gerbing

Hey...I don't go along with your premise.

Most MC aftermarket guys are their own boss and not corporate types.

They are good at something or they wouldn't have a business.

In the olden days, they used to call that rugged individualism. Now it's eccentric?

I don't agree.

Corbin

Dale Walker's Hole Shot

Gerbing

I don't think Seth Laam is eccentric at all, he just has a passion for making seats and is very good at it. He is not that good, nor does he have the passion, for all the paperwork, scheduling, and communication that is required to run a business and try to keep all his customers happy all the time. He has been making seats since he finished high school, he only started running a business a couple of years ago. He doesn't need someone to help him build seats, he needs someone to help him run the business.

Being eccentric is not necessarily a "bad thing". Being "different than the norm" and "unconventional", it is sort of a compliment when you come right down to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being eccentric is not necessarily a "bad thing". Being "different than the norm" and "unconventional", it is sort of a compliment when you come right down to it.
Thank you my friend. You just complimented pretty much every active member of this forum!

I know I fit that description because there is not another motorcycle in the parking lot besides mine. When I leave here in a few minutes I will snuggle comfortably into my Seth Laam Custom seat and ease my way home. I will enjoy my Laam Custom and I will smile when I think about how this thread swung back and forth so far. I love happy endings.

Corbin

Dale Walker's Hole Shot

Gerbing

In the olden days, they used to call that rugged individualism. Now it's eccentric?

I don't agree.
LOL!

Ivan Rovinsky is one of the most brilliant and generous motorcycle mechanics on the planet, especially since he's not that far away. I'll give him business when I can every chance I can. He's walked me through FZ1 problems when I was 1000 miles away in the Bahamas.

He's still eccentric and abrasive, and I like him and respect him.

There's not a whole lot of distance from the extreme edge of "Rugged Individualist" to "Eccentric".

Mark [something] in the greater Seattle area was that with with electricals on bikes. He was a wizard and his work was some of the cleanest I've seen. Those who used him, praised him. BUT... never let him see your work on your own bike if you rats nest stuff, or at least be willing to sit quietly while he verbally abused you for your shoddy work.

Corbin

Dale Walker's Hole Shot

Gerbing

I don't agree.
LOL!

Ivan Rovinsky is one of the most brilliant and generous motorcycle mechanics on the planet, especially since he's not that far away. I'll give him business when I can every chance I can. He's walked me through FZ1 problems when I was 1000 miles away in the Bahamas.

There's not a whole lot of distance from the extreme edge of "Rugged Individualist" to "Eccentric".
You know, I don't care if someone howls at the moon...if they do good work, they're getting my money.

Corbin

Dale Walker's Hole Shot

Gerbing

Ivan is Da Man. He knows his $h1t

It finally warmed up in NE and I got a rare chance to ride and try the new seat. Impressions.... this seat ROCKS! it's great, it's comfy, it's everything I wanted: wide and supportive. It just diseappears under me. it's incredible improvement of stock, and significant improvement over the prior version. I can't imagine sitting on the stock instrument of torture ever again. Just can't believe Yamaha would not offer this shape as a factory catalog option. THIS should have been Yamaha comfort seat to begin with.

Took some pictures, can't figure out how to post them here, you can just click this link to my Google album: https://goo.gl/photos/pQ1nzGG2c8mUcywc6

Totally agree! I've talked to Ivan a few times on the phone and he's been nothing but helpful. Guys I see on the FZ board who express anything other than props for him seem to fall into the "in today's internet era, everything should be free" category, or just generally want to talk s**t.

I too will give him my business when I can - the stuff I've bought from him works, it comes with straightforward instructions, and he's totally up front about what he provides and what he expects in return. What else can you ask for?

Totally agree! I've talked to Ivan a few times on the phone and he's been nothing but helpful. Guys I see on the FZ board who express anything other than props for him seem to fall into the "in today's internet era, everything should be free" category, or just generally want to talk s**t.

I too will give him my business when I can - the stuff I've bought from him works, it comes with straightforward instructions, and he's totally up front about what he provides and what he expects in return. What else can you ask for?
I haven't been on the FZ1 board in many years. But there were always folks who had an axe to grind, or, more accurately, a competing product to sell, who would trash Ivan. But I don't remember ANYONE who had his products complaining about them, and I don't think I have dementia yet....What was I saying?