Cb Vs. Rifle Windshields

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazos parker

What??
Reaction score
OK. OK. I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum...kinda like the "Which oil is best?" thread.

I have an '05 and am still running the stock shield. Plan to purchase bigger (probably +4+2 or +3) shield this Fall before cold weather sets in. At the risk of being flamed to a crisp, I still have a couple of questions.

Question for CB owners:

If you purchased a CB shield and then spaced it w/ nuts, etc, why didn't you just get a Rifle w/ tuning block in the first place? Makes me think there is a problem w/ Rifle quality...right/wrong?

Question for Rifle owners:

Is there a difference in performance of the touring and sport Rifle shields?

FYI, I'm leaning toward the purchase of a Rifle sport shield w/ tuning block.

Thanx, in advance, and sorry to bring this topic up once again.

I had the very same question that you do before I said what the hell and bought the Rifle. Also, I've seen several CB for sale but no Rifle. I think everyone expects something a little different than the next guy when it comes to comparing the two. What I can tell you though, my Rifle works great for my 5'11" height, but my SO is happier with it than I am! I find about an inch from the top is perfectly quiet for me and also she doesn't get slung around any more back there.

I have a light smoke Rifle touring shield on mine. 6'0" tall 32" inseam.

I initially installed it with the tuning block, which lays the windshield down at a more streamlined angle. The net effect however, lowers effective windshield height by 1 1/2 to 2 ". <_<

I removed the block to get back my quite air. The Rifle touring shield works quite well, but I wouldn't mind it an inch or two taller as my MCL+6 risers make me sit a bit more upright.

Note..... If you ride at night and need all of your visibility at high speeds, I would steer clear of the tinted glass, otherwise you have to lower the screen to get a clear sight and you end up riding in the wind/rain/noise blast.

Just my opinion and my recomendation for my 47 year old eyes. :D

I got the CB for no particular reason, and I've never heard anything negative about Rifle's quality. I rode with it attached normally for a couple thousand miles and then angled it back. I've been happy with it. Buy whichever one you want; I think you'll be happy with it.