Center Stand Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfmn16

Reaction score
I looked for an answer to this, but I couldn't find it (although I'm sure it's been addressed before). Is there a trick to getting the bike up on the center stand? I tried multiple times, but couldn't get it to work.

Thanks.

I looked for an answer to this, but I couldn't find it (although I'm sure it's been addressed before). Is there a trick to getting the bike up on the center stand? I tried multiple times, but couldn't get it to work.

Thanks.
Left hand on handle bar (hold in clutch or neutral), right hand on passenger grab bar, right foot on center stand. Push off with your leg lifting a bit with the right hand. Most of the leverage comes from your leg, not your arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6H9sqzDwQI

Thanks.
First of all has your bike been lowered? If it has then you will have a problem getting it on the centre stand. It's still possible but you will need some help. I have seen posts where others have recommended rolling the rear wheel onto a piece of wood, you will have to work out the thickness depending on how much the bike has been lowered. If you're not happy with that approach then you will have to modify your centre stand (shorten it). This has all been covered somewhere but it will take someone with better IT skills than me to find it :unsure:

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course if your bike has been lowered it will be very difficult unless you put the back tire on a piece of wood to get it up higher.

Left hand on handle bar (hold in clutch or neutral), right hand on passenger grab bar, right foot on center stand. Push off with your leg lifting a bit with the right hand. Most of the leverage comes from your leg, not your arms.
Fantastic!

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I bought the bike used, but I don't think it has been lowered. I couldn't get my GS Adventure up on the centerstand until someone showed me how. Then it was easy.

Fantastic!

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I bought the bike used, but I don't think it has been lowered. I couldn't get my GS Adventure up on the centerstand until someone showed me how. Then it was easy.
Instead of the passenger grab bar, try the inset grab bar just in front of the side bag (partly hidden by tail plastic). That is what that is there for and the video does show where this is for a split second.

This way maybe you won't accidently use too much force on the plastic passenger grab bar and rip it off. :eek:

It's all in the right foot. And it helps if you are a bit on the ... ah, hefty side.

Related question: if it's a "center stand", how come it's not in the center? The FJR on the c'stand sits more heavily on its front wheel than any bike I've had. BMWs, if I remember correctly, sit with the rear wheel on the ground but only lightly. Seems like it would be easier to get it up, so to speak, this way.

pete :cold:

Also, to add to this, right before you stand on the center stand to initiate the "up" process, make sure you softly push the bike away from you until you feel the other side of the centerstand make contact with the cement. Otherwise, the bike will be slightly tilted towards you, making it nearly impossible.

My steps in getting it up are:

(while sitting on the regular stand)

grab the handle bar grip on clutch side,

grab the pillion seat grabber in the forward area of the grip...right in front of where the hard bag attaches,

using equal pressure while using my right foot to push down the center stand until it touches the cement, softly push the bike away from me until I feel the other side of center stand touch the cement,

literally stand on the center stand foot thingy (thats a technical term BTW) and gently lift...and up the bike goes.

I keep the pivots of the center-stand liberally lubricated. I use chain lube. It's made to penetrate. Wipe off the excess.

grab the pillion seat grabber in the forward area of the grip...right in front of where the hard bag attaches,

using equal pressure while using my right foot to push down the center stand until it touches the cement, softly push the bike away from me until I feel the other side of center stand touch the cement,

literally stand on the center stand foot thingy (thats a technical term BTW) and gently lift...and up the bike goes.
Hey, that's kinda exactly why I made the cuts in the video when I did, to show that exact sequence! Not poking at you, just pointing out that the sequence is correct, and is what I tried to convey in the vid.

I'm glad it's famous enough that someone else posted it before I did! :D

Hey, that's kinda exactly why I made the cuts in the video when I did, to show that exact sequence! Not poking at you, just pointing out that the sequence is correct, and is what I tried to convey in the vid.

The video was done very well. Quick to the point, with clean cuts to show the bike being made level, and the position of the rider setting it up. Thanks for doing it. I found it when looking for other FJR videos on YouTube and and bookmarked it.

I remember when I had my 79 Honda CB 750K and challenged my physically superior cousin to a strength test which was putting the bike on the center stand. He failed miserably and was so besides himself he didn't know what to do especially seeing how easy it was for me to do it. I laughed my tail off, but eventually taught him the technique and he has been my riding partner for the last 25 years since. Truly, the technique is in the foot (left) that you use to hold the centerstand lever down and pushing down with your legs as you pull the bike up towards the rear. Works every time and on any bike as long as a lowering mod hasn't been done which would (as others in this thread mentioned) certainly complicate matters a great deal.

Oops...I didnt see the vid lol

Truly, the technique is in the foot (left) that you use to hold the centerstand lever down...

Huh? :blink: I've never even attempted it with my left foot.

Or did you mean to use your other left foot (like wfooshee does in the video)?

Yeah, that would be the one on your right side.

It's real easy to slip off the foot pad when you have been in rain. I put non-skid tape on the pad. Gives you a more secure feeling. Keeps the pad looking like new. The tape might save your ass.

One thing that isn't mentioned but should be a given is to make sure it is in neutral. The other thing I try to do is face the back of the bike a little and while my foot is on the center stand point my toes towards the back also. I find that it helps.

Dave