Center Stand Technique (SPLIT)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The OP's idea looks sound.

I'm no physicist, and I am sure there are "moments" "angular forces" "vectors" and the like involved that I am ignorant to... but, it's probably the same amount of force required on that item to lift the bike onto the stand, applied in close to the same manner on the welds and gusset, regardless of the extension added.

That being said.. I would label it.. "Center Stand Lift Assist" so it is not confused with "pipe bomb" or "skull club" by your local LEA should you be stopped.

My dealer actually showed me the wrong place to grab.

This forum, in February, when I puchased the bike/joined the forum... helped me to find the light...

I'm dying to contribute and pics always help...

Green arrow indicates the proper handle, Red arrow indicates pain, and sorrow...and.. it really is easier using the green handle.

handles.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading some of the posts of those close to my weight I spent some time analyzing what is different between my FJR and RT that makes the FJR so much more difficult.

It turns out that my problem is the result of the aforementioned issues with my elbow caused by the rheumatoid arthritis. No need to go into a long explanation, but suffice it to say that I have very limited ability to lift when my arm is in the position dictated by the FJR's handhold. The RT had a handle that swung out and when deployed was perpendicular the length of the bike. When my arm is in this position I can generate normal lifting force.

In any case, the pipe extension works well and is an option for those who for whatever reason want a little mechanical advantage.

Too bad no one makes a ride off stand for the FJR like they do for the Honda Goldwing.

I had one of these back in the day and it was the best mod I added.

It takes all the work and fear out of putting the motorcycle on the center stand.

Congratulations, BMV. You're officially a contributor. I'll bet there's more than a few meatheads out there that didn't know there was anything behind the green arrow. Youdaman. But there's a better solution to this center stand dilemma. Put a CT on the back and you won't need one... bike stands up by itself...

Gary

darksider #44

It's not a matter of strength, it's a matter of finesse. If a 90lb woman can do it, a frail old man can too. Google is your friend for all brands of bikes and how to use a center stand on bikes much heavier than the FJR.

Congrats on the DIY that addresses your disability.

The riding in flip flops issue is best left for another thread.

Played around with the 'aid' a bit more this morning and you can save some money by just getting the nipple. The connector has a wider id, but the id of the pipe/nipple is large enougn to just fit over the foot tab.

I appreciate the pointers. Interesting thing about centerstands. Somebody opined about old (Airhead?) BMWs and riding off; that was actually an aftermarket stand. Much lower than OE, so easier, and designed to stabilize the bike with both tires on the ground. The OE stand on those bikes was a bear. The early K-bikes weren't easy but they were easier, with a pull out handle. The Oilheads were and are pretty easy. Basically push down on the footpad and up she goes. Even the 800# K1600 is pretty easy.

The difference between those bikes and the FJR is that on the BMWs, you stand behind the centerstand, and pull back; the stand itself provides the fulcrum that results in up. On the FJR (my experience, mind you), it's harder to coordinate pushing down and back on the stand, while levering the bike up and back.

I'll get it eventually.

For reference, I'm #136.

I can put my FJR up on its centerstand when the panniers and trunk aren't loaded, fairly easily. When they are, and especially when the trunk is mounted and it's loaded, it isn't happening; I don't have enough strength/weight to do it. For comparison purposes, I'm 5'6", 180#, pretty strong, but have grip issues from carpal tunnel syndrome. I've found that the secret is to 'pry' the bike so that you are effectively separating the centerstand from the bike, and that's what the hand grip is for. From looking at the video, the pipe extension seems to change the distance between right hand and right foot so that you can more effectively utilize the large muscles of your legs as well as both arms, instead of just your right biceps.

Gonna have to try it.

I don't know that I do it "right" but it works for me, every day.

First iI lightly push down the center stand and rock the bile until I feel both pads hitting the ground

MY arm is locked at the elbow, all the "push" is from the leg. The bike pivots back on the stand and if I do this to aggressively it hops back another inch or two.

I like that idea. I am on the light side too and maybe an extra nipple would help.

I think I might paint mine black and then put a piece of red wire tha tlooks like a fuse coming out of one end. I made a stash tube that looked like this on my Buell and it always drew attention (some good, some bad)

Really Bust? I thought you'da picked up on the "extra nipple" 3 or 4 posts back and run with that... you feelin ok ?

That snail thing still acting up?

Back on topic.... when I worked at napa, we had some pretty nice stainless exhaust tips... the end was curled in, not sharp. Wondering if you couldnt tighten the set screws behind the "foot pad" of the stand and have it be permamnet... it would be lighter and prettier... (less "pipe bomby")

Still a great idea.. I'm still stickin to my "the bike weighs the same" no matter how long a lever you use... the force on the joints should be the same.. great idea for the "total mass" challenged folks out there. !

Why you don't put a piece of wood under of your rear wheel about 30x30 or so and one inch or so thick?You will surprised how easy you will lift your bike in the center stand.I have do this trick and i surprised from the result!

Why you don't put a piece of wood under of your rear wheel about 30x30 or so and one inch or so thick?You will surprised how easy you will lift your bike in the center stand.I have do this trick and i surprised from the result!
In my first post I mentioned that I had used this technique and why I was looking for a better solution.

In my first post I mentioned that I had used this technique and why I was looking for a better solution.
I am really satisfied with this technique!!

Okay. The threads drifted far enough from "I made this DIY mod because of my disability" into a rehash of how to properly use a center stand that I'm now moving it.

I am really satisfied with this technique!!
I'm glad you found what works for you. I had used that technique since I bought my FJR and it does work.

You could always just use the side stand for 95% of the time (like it was intended) and the center stand only for maintenance.
That's what I do... It's a pia to get bike onto center stand without me rolling it backward onto a board. I could give a good crap abt putting the bike onto the center stand unless I'm doing maintenance.