Center Stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammess

Reaction score
My FJR is a bear to get on the center stand. Actually the word bear doesn't really do justice to the problem I have hefting this motorcycle onto its center stand. I'm in my 70's and have a bad disc in my lower back which also doesn't help. Anyway, I found that if I fashion a wooden ramp 1-1/4" thick by 8'W X 16"L with a 60 degree angle cut on one end then place the wooden ramp in front of the rear tire and role the bike forward onto the ramp I can then deploy the center stand with great ease. Then I get to thinking that if one could shorten the stand by about an inch this beast would be easy to place on the center stand. Don't know how negatively this would effect rear wheel removal but that's the only possible negative I can see. It is easier to get on the stand if I remove the luggage and the GIVI trunk but it's still a bitch. There, I said it.

Maybe somebody out there even sells a modified center stand or maybe there is something I'm overlooking that a shorter center stand would negatively impact.

You can determine the effect of shortening the center stand by putting pieces of wood under each tire that are equal in thickness to amount you would shorten the stand. Then try to place the bike on the stand. You may find that as little as 1/2 inch will make a significant improvement. I have my Super Tenere lowered about 3/4 inch and it makes using the center stand much more difficult, so maybe the reverse will occur for you. Once the bike is on the stand with the wood under the tires you can see the impact it will have on tire changing.

If you know anyone with decent welding skills, then shortening your stand will be an easy job. Getting it off the bike may be the hardest part of the job. Great time to service your rear suspension linkage.

Also, take a hard look at how often you use the center stand. I use mine almost exclusively for maintenance and long term storage to save space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shortening the stand will make it easier to lift but if you shorten it too much the rear tire will make contact with the ground and decrease the bike's stability when on the stand. I don't think I have an inch of clearance between the tire and ground but shortening the stand by a half inch may work.

I'm in the boat with you jammess. I've found over the last 8 yrs that my '07 is the most difficult bike to put up on the center stand that I've ever had. And no, I'm no novice. And yes, it sounds like we have much in common regarding physical limitations. It's just a bitch! My experiences:

- as mentioned above, I forgo the center stand usage except for maintenance and storage. IMO if you pay attention to what and where you're doing the bike is perfectly stable on the side stand;

- my experience has shown that neither a 190 rear tire nor a 205 car tire makes it any easier;

- when I do decide to use the center stand for in-depth maintenance I pull just the rear tire up onto 2 2x4s, use a 2x4 under the side stand, put 3/4" under the center stand and it flops right up. The extra height is a blessing when removing tires, forks, etc.

- for routine stuff like changing oil, etc. I park with the front tire on a slight incline. A little more difficult to get down but manageable and a lot easier to get up.

(all in fun)

atlas6.jpg

It's all technique. The FJR isn't nearly as bad as some, like a C10 Concours. There are lots of threads and probably videos to help you out. Once learned most any machine is not to bad. JMO.

I think I'm going to stick with my wooden ramp and just use the center stand in the garage. I can see where shortening the center stand could get tricky if you don't get it right the first time. New stand is about 140 bucks if you get it wrong. Over the years on my beemers I just got used to always using the center stand so going to break the habit with the FJR and just go with side stand. Maybe invest in a bigger stand foot or carry a metal duplex electrical box cover in the glove box for loose gravel applications.

lol..lol..Good one Bounce.
smile.png

It's all technique. The FJR isn't nearly as bad as some, like a C10 Concours. There are lots of threads and probably videos to help you out. Once learned most any machine is not to bad. JMO.
Technique is important, but those of us with old injuries or age-related problems jammess and me, technique will only take you part way there. I can centerstand mine pretty easily most of the time, but like jammess, I've got a bad disc in my lower back as well as a F'd up right rotator cuff. In the instances where I'm hurting too badly to get it on the stand I just use a piece of 1 x 4 under the rear wheel. That's all it takes.

jammess, I have trouble getting my rear wheel out with it on the stock stand. I actually centerstand it on a piece of plywood to get the wheel high enough to get it out.

How much do you weigh? With the right technique you are using your weight on the stand to lever it up, so the heavier you are the better. As mentioned, the 190 tire helps, although it also raises the bike all the time, so if you have a long inseam, not a problem, but if you just reach the ground maybe not the best option. Also, taking a few minutes to pop off the side cases helps some as they are sort of heavy and their weight is where you're lifting. If I recall there was a video of a guy putting an FJR up barefoot, so yeah it's all in the technique.

Grind out a trench in garage floor then drop the center stand in the trench? Wellllll..... That isn't as crazy as it sounds if you don't mind parking the bike in the same spot all the time. Hmmmm, of course I could always have more than one trench come to think of it. I got out my grinder and cut off the curved piece of metal that was welded onto the base of the center stand which allowed the stand to drop down a touch further before contacting the floor and this did help a tiny bit but not enough hence the plywood ramp.

Yesterday I practiced putting on center stand and dinked up my elbow. At the tender age of 73 the aches and pains definitely become more numerous. It does help to remove all the luggage along with the GIVI trunk for sure.

A gen3?? Not in this lifetime. I've helped my neighbor work on his gen3.
no.gif

A very simple thing to do would be lay two fair-sized pieces of plywood on the floor for your wheels. Ride onto them and centerstand between them. Even 1/2" would help more than you'd think. 3/4" more so. Then, to remove the rear tire just slide the plywood out. For tire removal I actually park on three pieces, centerstand on the middle one and slide both ends out. It gets me roughly an inch more clearance to get the rear tire out.

How much do you weigh? With the right technique you are using your weight on the stand to lever it up, so the heavier you are the better. As mentioned, the 190 tire helps, although it also raises the bike all the time, so if you have a long inseam, not a problem, but if you just reach the ground maybe not the best option. Also, taking a few minutes to pop off the side cases helps some as they are sort of heavy and their weight is where you're lifting. If I recall there was a video of a guy putting an FJR up barefoot, so yeah it's all in the technique.
B
Barefoot???... My arse!! Show me said video!

B
Barefoot???... My arse!! Show me said video!
I can do it in tennis shoes if I grit my teeth and just attack it. But it hurts.

But I weigh about 185, and I can balance the bike by standing on the lever with my full weight. If I don't lift the handle while pushing down with my foot I just go up and down myself instead of the bike going up.

At the first WFO in Moscow Idaho there was a guy from MN. That would put his FJR on the center stand while sitting on the bike.

Don't let the back problems win. I have herniated discs, scoliosis, stenosis and arthritis from my neck to my ass and putting it on the stand is easy. The Spyder is tough but only cause I can't find the damn thing.:) :)