Center Stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... or get a Gen 3 ...
I swear to god my mind is shot! I was over at my neighbors installing a 7.5KW shop heater this am. After we got done I asked him if I could, by myself, put his '15 gen3 on the center stand and he said OK. If I hadn't done it I wouldn't have believed it, the dam thing went right up with the bags on easy peasey. I can't figure this out! Maybe it's not too early for a shot of whiskey.
uhoh.gif
I don't get it at all why do I have to use a board on my gen2?? I measured the distance from the center stand pivot to the back axle and the height above ground of the back tire and everything is the same as far as I can see??? WTF?
I had a '78 Yamaha 750 triple that I couldn't centerstand, and it finally turned out that the centerstand lever was bent slightly. Can you park yours side by side with is and compare very carefully?
Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I just checked the part numbers for a 2010/2015 main stand and the part #s are slightly different as are the prices.

2010: 5P5-27111-00-00 @ $144.05

2015: 5P5-27111-10-00 @ $128.99

Again, WTF?? I'm thinking I'm going to maybe buy a gen3 main stand because just looking at the two I can't see any difference other than the metal loops at the stand feet which aid in rolling the stand as the bike goes up and back.

Last edited by a moderator:
That made my foot hurt, and I'm half-way around the world from you.
weirdsmiley.gif
Um, don't think that was ME in that video. I have smashed feet and can't walk barefoot - I have to wear shoes with orthotics at all times.

Besides, my Gen3 has also been lowered so has gone from the easiest bike ever to flip onto the centrestand to an absolute pig to heft up. I also use the 'wood under the tyres' trick to now get it up onto the centrestand.

That made my foot hurt, and I'm half-way around the world from you.
weirdsmiley.gif
Um, don't think that was ME in that video. I have smashed feet and can't walk barefoot - I have to wear shoes with orthotics at all times.

Besides, my Gen3 has also been lowered so has gone from the easiest bike ever to flip onto the centrestand to an absolute pig to heft up. I also use the 'wood under the tyres' trick to now get it up onto the centrestand.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. ;)

... or get a Gen 3 ...
I swear to god my mind is shot! I was over at my neighbors installing a 7.5KW shop heater this am. After we got done I asked him if I could, by myself, put his '15 gen3 on the center stand and he said OK. If I hadn't done it I wouldn't have believed it, the dam thing went right up with the bags on easy peasey. I can't figure this out! Maybe it's not too early for a shot of whiskey.
uhoh.gif
I don't get it at all why do I have to use a board on my gen2?? I measured the distance from the center stand pivot to the back axle and the height above ground of the back tire and everything is the same as far as I can see??? WTF?
I had a '78 Yamaha 750 triple that I couldn't centerstand, and it finally turned out that the centerstand lever was bent slightly. Can you park yours side by side with is and compare very carefully?
Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I just checked the part numbers for a 2010/2015 main stand and the part #s are slightly different as are the prices.

2010: 5P5-27111-00-00 @ $144.05

Again, WTF?? I'm thinking I'm going to maybe buy a gen3 main stand because just looking at the two I can't see any difference other than the metal loops at the stand feet which aid in rolling the stand as the bike goes up and back.
I'd have to compare them myself, but I suppose that metal foot could make a difference. I've been tinkering in the shop today and centerstanded my FJR a time or two. I discovered:

• I can definitely stand on the lever while balancing the bike with my hand on the Givi rack. Weight alone won't do it for me.
  • I can centerstand it more easily if I push back somewhat and down on the lever instead of straight down. It has to do, I guess, with the angle of the lever. Pushing at more of a 90 degree angle probably works best
  • There's no way I'm doing it barefoot. ;)
When I was considering an FJR I looked at a 2010 model at a dealer and asked the lady if she minded if I put it on the centerstand. She looked a little anxious about it and stood to the right of it; I guess she thought she'd catch it if this old dude dropped it. I got both centerstand feet down and gave it a good push down like I did on my 'oldwing, and it popped up and over so quickly it slid backward on the tile floor about six inches.
lol_zpsfd3ahpbp.gif

How much do you weigh? With the right technique you are using your weight on the stand to lever it up, so the heavier you are the better. As mentioned, the 190 tire helps, although it also raises the bike all the time, so if you have a long inseam, not a problem, but if you just reach the ground maybe not the best option. Also, taking a few minutes to pop off the side cases helps some as they are sort of heavy and their weight is where you're lifting. If I recall there was a video of a guy putting an FJR up barefoot, so yeah it's all in the technique.
B
Barefoot???... My arse!! Show me said video!
OK, you showed me the video, hold my hands up, did not think it could be done. The only reason he managed to do that, is because he did not know it is impossible.

Hats off to the guy, he is obviously a superior being!!!!!

Okey Dokey, The difference in length from the floor to the center stand pivot bolt center is 5/16" when comparing the '10 CS to the '15 CS as in the '10 CS is taller by 15/16". So, my new CS from Revzilla is on order for $128. Should bolt right on since the mounting brackets are the same part #. While I'm at it going to lube the rear shock lower bushing and drive shaft splines, simple.

As a side note I thought routine maintenance was more of a bitch on the FJR than my '93 R1100RSL but not really other than maybe front fork maintenance on the FJR which is not required on the RS. I'd rather do front fork maintenance than lube the transmission input shaft splines any day and we won't even talk about a clutch replacement on an oilhead or driveshaft maintenance. So the FJR wins in the maintenance department.
smile.png
Maybe the RS handles a bit better than the FJR well whoop-dee-do. Bottom line is ride what you like but this FJR can really grow on you.

Oh, while I think of it $128 is a bunch cheaper than a gen3.
rolleyes.gif

So, my new CS from Revzilla is on order for $128. Should bolt right on since the mounting brackets are the same part #......
As a side note I thought routine maintenance was more of a bitch on the FJR than my '93 R1100RSL but not really other than maybe front fork maintenance on the FJR which is not required on the RS.....
Ummmm, just a heads up, but you're going to find dissonance between those two statements. Not quite as NEPRTy, but changing directions of the CS bolts has been talked about many times before...and isn't pretty. Just be mentally prepared and do yourself some forum searching. Yes, there are existing threads including pretty pictures. :)

I like the Two Wheel Obsession method of cutting the heads off the two bolts that are blocked by the exhaust system. After much eyeballing it looks pretty simple just be careful not to cut off the swingarm.
no.gif

Yesterday evning, I had change my center stand. It was twist, probably because the previous owner of my fjr use the center stand befor its two foot was on the ground...

I cut the bolt, and to put the new screw, Y was obliged to make A spacer... and after, re-hooking the spring is not really easy.
We took an hour to do it with a friend

The easiest large bike I've ever owned as far as difficulty of getting it up on the center stand was

My ST1100.

The worst was my Moto Guzzi Norge.

I think it has a lot to do with the engineering of the stand, and your ability to exploit that through your technique.

The easiest large bike I've ever owned as far as difficulty of getting it up on the center stand wasMy ST1100.

The worst was my Moto Guzzi Norge.

I think it has a lot to do with the engineering of the stand, and your ability to exploit that through your technique.
The easiest I've ever had to operate was a Voyager XII -- easiest in that my weight alone actually would flip it up very easily. It was a 2-piece hinged device. The bottom half would flip down and stop vertically about an inch from the ground. Then the lever could be pushed down like ours, but it was such a long lever on the short top half of that stand, and the mechanical advantage was great! When it hinged down the hinge would break backward sort of and hold it all in place.

... or get a Gen 3 ...
uhoh.gif
Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I just checked the part numbers for a 2010/2015 main stand and the part #s are slightly different as are the prices.2010: 5P5-27111-00-00 @ $144.05

Gen II centerstand:

Gen III centerstand:

Dan

Hey, Jammess. I too am not young (well, younger than you, but I don't want to be mean). I also have a couple bad discs in my back. I'm about 6'3", 205, and I have a hard time putting it on the centerstand IF I use the grab pocket below the seat. BUT, if I use the passenger grab rail, it allows me to stand up straighter, hurts my back less, and allows me to usually get the bike up easier. Give it a try and let us know if that helps.

Hi Swollen Raccoon, New gen3 CS gets here tomorrow and I'm ready for it. Got the original CS off today after doing the bolt cut which wasn't too bad. The drive shaft splines didn't need fresh lube but I lubed anyway. Also, lubed all the needle bearings on the rear shock connection assembly so I'm ready to go. I will try your grab rail idea but I'm a bit shorter than you at 6 foot.

Hi Swollen Raccoon, New gen3 CS gets here tomorrow and I'm ready for it. Got the original CS off today after doing the bolt cut which wasn't too bad. The drive shaft splines didn't need fresh lube but I lubed anyway. Also, lubed all the needle bearings on the rear shock connection assembly so I'm ready to go. I will try your grab rail idea but I'm a bit shorter than you at 6 foot.
Have you pull the universal joint out and cleaned/lubed the other end of it too? There's 2 DIFFERENT PROCEDURES for the DRIVE SYSTEM. The first you list, the drive SHAFT splines. But did you do the second, the UNIVERSAL splines?

https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/ujoint/uj.html

Have you pull the universal joint out and cleaned/lubed the other end of it too? There's 2 DIFFERENT PROCEDURES for the DRIVE SYSTEM. The first you list, the drive SHAFT splines. But did you do the second, the UNIVERSAL splines?

https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/ujoint/uj.html
No, didn't do the universal splines will wait until I do the shift linkage, someday. Did lube the three needle bearings on rear shock bracket. Bike only has 4200 original miles with all but 900 put on by me last summer. The splines had good grease from the factory with no hardening. I pulled the drive shaft because it and the mufflers were in the way. All back together except for the back wheel. The new center stand was about 1/2" shorter when comparing side by side. No problems at all with the fit including the springs and the rubber bumper. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

So, my new CS from Revzilla is on order for $128. Should bolt right on since the mounting brackets are the same part #......
As a side note I thought routine maintenance was more of a bitch on the FJR than my '93 R1100RSL but not really other than maybe front fork maintenance on the FJR which is not required on the RS.....
Ummmm, just a heads up, but you're going to find dissonance between those two statements. Not quite as NEPRTy, but changing directions of the CS bolts has been talked about many times before...and isn't pretty. Just be mentally prepared and do yourself some forum searching. Yes, there are existing threads including pretty pictures.
smile.png
Also as I tried to point out, the OP doesn't need a shorter or different CS, he needs stiffer springs.

Stock my bike was hard to get on the CS, but w/ upgraded suspension, it pops right up on the CS, handles much better 'n has more ground clearance too.

Complete success!! The bike is almost as easy to put on the center stand as is my '93 R1100RSL and that is mighty easy. The FJR is as easy to put on the CS with or without luggage attached including the GIVI V46 trunk. In fact it IS as easy as the RSL no almost about it.

Well worth the $128 and now I can remove the center stand anytime I want to do a lube job on all 3 needle bearing of the rear shock bracket arm.

I'm done!

Russ, I went through the gen2 FSM and nowhere can I find a procedure or requirement for cleaning and servicing the drive shaft universal joint. That's most likely why I didn't do it as it appears to be a non-maintenance required item.

I could be wrong since I'm new to the FJR world. Can you refer me to where to find this procedure in the FSM?

Russ, I went through the gen2 FSM and nowhere can I find a procedure or requirement for cleaning and servicing the drive shaft universal joint. That's most likely why I didn't do it as it appears to be a non-maintenance required item.
I could be wrong since I'm new to the FJR world. Can you refer me to where to find this procedure in the FSM?
I have no idea if it's in the FSM, I've never looked. It's at the link provided in my post above.