Center Stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's not in the FSM then it's not a necessary or valid service procedure according to Yamaha.

Sorry for getting off topic.

I think I'll go practice putting my gen2 up on the center stand.
bye.gif
Oh jeez, that sounds like I should get a life.
uhoh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Your bike, your choice. But I've had enough problems with my '07 that aren't in the FSM to warrant doing them or be stranded. Hopefully you won't be but it's the experiences from previous models and owners that have kept bikes moving. You aren't a long-time owner so I wouldn't expect you to known but the knowledge here at The Collective is far superior to what Yamaha General knows. And if you think the Yamaha FSM is the end all, be all of maintenance you should buy a trailer now so you can get it home later.

Some will claim that the front spline doesn't slide in the U-Joint but I was taught from time immemorial that dirt and grit are the enemies of any mating surfaces. With that in mind, at least an occasional clean and re-lube seems judicious. Given how easy it when you're already servicing the rear tire and driven splines, it seems to be a no-brainer.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/ujoint/uj.html

Hi Bounce, I agree on cleaning and lubing the splines and that's discussed in the FSM. I think Russ is talking about going a bit further into the universal joint itself and I question the need for this especially since there is no mention of this in the FSM. Not saying there is anything wrong with doing this I mean it's your bike but I question the need to do it. Would be interesting to know if the FJR has many failed universal joints. I've always considered universal joints on automobiles to be non serviceable just replace when and if failure occurs.

Russ - I respect the collective knowledge on this website otherwise I wouldn't be here. Good example is I wouldn't have thought to cut the bolt heads off of the two backwards bolts of the four that secure the center stand. Or the pin modification to the ECU cable connector to allow access to the CO settings. Just a lot of really good info here. Jeez, when I think of the knowledge I've gained as a member of sites like bmwsporttouing.com since 2004 and the money I've saved because of this knowledge sharing, just fantastic. I know I've saved thousands of dollars as well and I'm just very grateful.

I think Russ is talking about going a bit further into the universal joint itself and I question the need for this especially since there is no mention of this in the FSM.
Which was my point when I said

Some will claim that the front spline doesn't slide in the U-Joint but I was taught from time immemorial that dirt and grit are the enemies of any mating surfaces. With that in mind, at least an occasional clean and re-lube seems judicious. Given how easy it when you're already servicing the rear tire and driven splines, it seems to be a no-brainer.

Hi Bounce, I agree on cleaning and lubing the splines and that's discussed in the FSM. I think Russ is talking about going a bit further into the universal joint itself and I question the need for this especially since there is no mention of this in the FSM. Not saying there is anything wrong with doing this I mean it's your bike but I question the need to do it. Would be interesting to know if the FJR has many failed universal joints. I've always considered universal joints on automobiles to be non serviceable just replace when and if failure occurs.
Russ - I respect the collective knowledge on this website otherwise I wouldn't be here. Good example is I wouldn't have thought to cut the bolt heads off of the two backwards bolts of the four that secure the center stand. Or the pin modification to the ECU cable connector to allow access to the CO settings. Just a lot of really good info here. Jeez, when I think of the knowledge I've gained as a member of sites like bmwsporttouing.com since 2004 and the money I've saved because of this knowledge sharing, just fantastic. I know I've saved thousands of dollars as well and I'm just very grateful.
I think you misunderstood- I'm not talking about servicing the bearings in the universal joint. I'm talking about servicing the splines the forward end of the universal joint slides onto. If it's necessary to service the rear splines why then isn't it prudent to service the forward splines? Did you bother to open the link both bounce and I provided to you?

Now I get it Russ and I agree. If the male splines are contaminated then naturally one would want to make sure the female splines are clean. In my case there was no contamination of the grease present on the male splines. I did clean the male splines and re-lube which wasn't necessary in this case. Not too surprising since the bike has only 4200 original miles and has never been off road or even in rain. Had 900 miles when I bought it last summer.

I'm really pleased with how easy it is now to place the bike on the new center stand. The center stand issue and fork bottoming under moderate braking have been my only issues with the bike. Oops, the factory seat was also an issue but I fixed that with an electric knife so that it no longer puts pressure on my tail bone.

I have a natural tendency to compare the FJR to my long history (since '76) with BMW. I've decided that both brands have pluses and minuses especially when it comes to maintenance. I really don't prefer one over the other much at all. Well, maybe BMW by a hair probably since I've spent so many years owning them. One thing for sure the FJR drive train is rock solid no doubt as in when's the last time anyone had a final drive implode? I know a guy that bought a new final drive that he takes with him on long trips just in case and according to the dealer he's not the only one so yeah, I like the FJR.

I stopped on the way home from Daytona last year to fix a flat.

My Harley buddy said what's a center stand?

And then marveled that I fixed a tire.

I guess he calls AAA.

I stopped on the way home from Daytona last year to fix a flat. My Harley buddy said what's a center stand?

And then marveled that I fixed a tire.

I guess he calls AAA.
We stopped for gas one time, and a cruiser rider at the gas station asked if any of us had a tire tube. He had a flat and needed one. I told him that we hadn't used them in decades. Maybe he called AAA.

Thanks for posting your experience with the Gen 3 CS replacement. I have never been able to get my; FJR up on the CS. Granted I am 5'9" and 153 lbs and I am sure that is part of my problem but replacing the Gen2 stand with the Gen3 stand seems like a good solution.

Morning OG, Please tell me you don't mean inner-tube?
Yes, inner tube. The gazillions of bikes still produced with spoked wheels still get inner tubes unless the owner goes through the process of sealing the spokes.
Dope slap! Been so long ('77) since I had a spoke bike I totally completely forgot. I suppose some cruiser types actually carry spare tubes.

Thanks for posting your experience with the Gen 3 CS replacement. I have never been able to get my; FJR up on the CS. Granted I am 5'9" and 153 lbs and I am sure that is part of my problem but replacing the Gen2 stand with the Gen3 stand seems like a good solution.
It works really well. Better than I expected and best mod I can think of for the FJR.

Stand on my '06 is pitted rusty and ugly...lot of gravel roads...might just throw on a Gen lll stand...what would you say is the biggest difference in construction ?

Stand on my '06 is pitted rusty and ugly...lot of gravel roads...might just throw on a Gen lll stand...what would you say is the biggest difference in construction ?
The overall height of the stand is about 1/2" shorter. They also kept the distance between return spring connectors the same by shortening the gusset for the lower spring connection thus placing it closer to the cross over metal piece. The mounting brackets fit perfectly when you transfer them to the new center stand. Also, the foot pad or peg seems closer to the bike which is a good thing for better mechanical advantage when you lever the bike up onto the stand. Hope this makes sense to you.

Yamaha engineering deserves a medal. My FJR is as easy to place on the CS as my 120 pounds lighter '93 R1100RSL and it is very easy. I can't believe it's (FJR) the same bike. Not exaggerating.

Last edited by a moderator:
so in a fit of weather induced boredom I swapped my ratty rusty centerstand for the new designed one...Never had a problem getting the big girl up on it, but now it is MUCH easier...meebee half the effort...Only problem is that the rubber stop does not line up with the tang on the muffler....just left it off and got more ground clearance..The spring is a bitch but is easy to get off if 9 or 10 thin washers are pressed into the coils while on the centerstand.. Highly recommended for anyone having problems getting it up..[on the stand]