Change of plans (Part 2)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
I may be changing plans as far as EOM is concerned. It seems that there was an unexpected event this past weekend. I am "very" thankfully fine... my bike is not... nor any of my riding gear. My boots are the only salvageable thing from my winter/spring/fall street gear.

My plan is to finish what I've started where EOM is concerned, but I may be stepping out beyond that as an EOM planner. That has yet to be determined.

Jim Meadows (spklbuk) is still in. Please offer Jim any help that you possibly can. He is one A1 guy along with the rest of his A1 West Virginia clan. I cannot say enough good about these folks.

And, by the way... WV20 ROCKS! You guys are gonna' love WV!!!

ATGATT folks... I am living proof that it works. My gear did it's job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap Heidi!! I was away for a couple of days and missed part one of the story. Sorry about your get off and am glad your O.K.. That totally sucks. I tried searching for the particulars on your accident but couldn't find anything. I was down in your neck of the woods this past weekend (4 wheels not 2) and was thinking about what nice weather you guys were having and that you were probably out enjoying it....Well, I hope your pride is hurt more than your body. The bike can be fixed or maybe its time for a new Cherry Red one to match Ashe's.

I missed Part (1) as well.... Details? Sorry about your get off.

Let us know what you need to get to EOM, I'm sure there are enough folks here willing to help out.

-MD

...My plan is to finish what I've started where EOM is concerned, but I may be stepping out beyond that as an EOM planner...
HOLY CRAP... :dribble: This truly sucks...

Glad you weren't injured and that your gear helped. Sorry about your bike Heidi.

Well, I'm still up for EOM and the WV roads :clapping: ...All I need is a place to ride (-done-), eat & sleep (-done-).

"Glup" Heidi you had me going for a sec.. At least you are okay, hoping an '07 is in the works for you.

Chris

I missed Part (1) as well.... Details? Sorry about your get off.
Let us know what you need to get to EOM, I'm sure there are enough folks here willing to help out.

-MD
+1 You will be missed if you can't make it.

About part 2... I was playing off of GregE's exit from EOM. I haven't posted any details about my incident. Not something I'm real fond of thinking about right now. I will give a quick rundown.

Rte 20, Mercer County, WV (route scouting). Was following Jim Meadows & his wife, Creta. Entered a very soft right hander. I took a second & looked down at the map on my tankbag to see where we were at. It was all of a second, if that. I decided that moment wasn't a good time to be looking at my map. When I looked up I was on the edge of the road & going off of it. I pretty much froze except for the fact that when I felt the tires leave the roadway, I bailed & let go of the grips. The ditch, which began immediately off of the pavement was VERY nasty... about 1.5 feet deep & filled w/ large jagged gravel & the jagged edges of the road's pavement. On the other side of the ditch was a rock wall.

I feel that I took the brunt of the lesser of the 2 evils. I bailed at about 60 MPH. My pants are shredded. I mean literally shredded! I still don't know how I didn't even get the seat on my street pants (under my overpants) dirty. Although, my overpants did hold up pretty darned well as can be expected in a 60 MPH slide on your ass.

Apparently, I landed on my left arm and shoulder. I've got a very small patch of road rash on my left forearm. I do believe that had something to do with the fact that at our last stop, being that it was so warm, I opened up the zippers that held the cuffs closed in an effort to get some air up my arms instead of the gauntlet of my leather gloves over the cuffs as usual. That appears to be where the rip in my jacket is. I also have a scuff on my right hand's middle finger thru my leather gloves & I hit my right ankle on something. It's just a little sore... not broken or anything.

My jacket held up outstandingly well. All of my gear received some kind of rip or scuff. It's done it's job & will be retired to the garbage. The only salvageable thing is my boots.

My bike didn't fare as well as I did. No doubt about it.

I'm not going to rehash this thing anymore than this. Riding... more accurately riding in the mountains is my passion & has become a huge part of my life. I've met a lot of people that I'd call friends through the different meets I've attended over the last 2 1/2 years. I am highly, highly upset about this & actually questioning if I want to ride in the mountains anymore... even if I can manage to get my bike fixed or replaced. This incident scared me terribly, terribly bad.

I do have to say that Jim, Creta & all of their support circle took great care of me. I actually have Jim's car sitting outside in my driveway since I had no way to get home.

I will say that I am very happy to be alive... or not in the hospital because the incident held the potential to be devastating to me.

Heidi

I can imagine that would have been quite scary. I do hope you keep riding, even if it's on the flatland. Fear is a good thing too, you know. We should all keep that in mind. If you're not scared anymore you might be headed for trouble someday. Oh well, that my attempt at consolation...I hope I didn't say anything to make it worse. The bright side is that you are OK and are able to tell your story and perhaps put a little fear back into those of us that have lost it.

I can imagine that would have been quite scary. I do hope you keep riding, even if it's on the flatland. Fear is a good thing too, you know. We should all keep that in mind. If you're not scared anymore you might be headed for trouble someday. Oh well, that my attempt at consolation...I hope I didn't say anything to make it worse. The bright side is that you are OK and are able to tell your story and perhaps put a little fear back into those of us that have lost it.
In time I would hope that you can get back on a ride... Accidents are a bad thing but if you can learn from it... it is a good thing.

The best part and you said it... your gear worked and you came out in pretty good. The bike is replaceable! You are not.

all the best

Tom

heidi,

ok here's the deal:

you come live in my house in FLAT LAND florida and get your riding confidence up...

i'll go to your place and work on EOM and build my mountain confidence up...

as with all deals, there is a catch:

1. i have to bring my dog...

2. you have to feed my geese, here...

:yahoo: :clapping: :rolleyes:

dana

Fear is a good thing too, you know. We should all keep that in mind. If you're not scared anymore you might be headed for trouble someday.
+1

Glad you are ok.

Save the armor out of your gear before you trash it if it is usable. Ya never know. (I'm a pack rat)

Heidi,

I know the confidence shaking feeling that you're experiencing right now. I had a get off in Ohio 2 years ago. It is unnerving and I felt all my confidence in any ability I have go away. Just understand that this feeling is temporary. I have seen you ride and respect your abilities. You are a good rider.

Review the incident, see what lessons there are in it for you. Learn from it...then move on and do what you can to replace the bike. Get back on and ride. Build your confidence. You will have fun at this again...I know it from my own experience. :)

I know that you just feel sick about this whole deal right now...that will pass.

Here's hopin' to riding with you again! :clapping:

Sorry about what happened Heidi. Extremely happy to hear that you are O.k. You walked away, and thats all that matters. Hope to still see you there at EOM. :)

Heidi,
I know the confidence shaking feeling that you're experiencing right now. I had a get off in Ohio 2 years ago. It is unnerving and I felt all my confidence in any ability I have go away. Just understand that this feeling is temporary. I have seen you ride and respect your abilities. You are a good rider.

Review the incident, see what lessons there are in it for you. Learn from it...then move on and do what you can to replace the bike. Get back on and ride. Build your confidence. You will have fun at this again...I know it from my own experience. :)

I know that you just feel sick about this whole deal right now...that will pass.

Here's hopin' to riding with you again! :clapping:
+1 been there done that too, only not on the street. Whilst dirt riding and going down a very steep hill at the powerlines one time, I got the front stuck in a rut. I wasn't going fast at all, but that 200lb YZ ejected me with authority into the hard packed dirt.

Torqued up my hip/pelvis area real bad and ended up with a mild concusion. Knocked the wind out of me and I could hardly walk for a week and a half.

Riding back to the truck was the longest, slowest and most painful ride of my life. For weeks I too thought about all the things that "could have happened out in the middle of nowhere". If I hadn't had a helmet on, no doubt I'd be dead. What little padding the pants had did help, but i was still bruised beyond belief.

I seriously considered giving up riding for a while, but every time I walked out to the barn (or hobbled), the YZ kept calling me. It was ready to go.

I eventualy started it up and rode around the yard, then the field, then hit the jumps, slow at first, but it all comes back to ya.

You only go around once, and if you decide to give it up, I can respect that, it is a dangerous sport/hobby.

In time, this too shall pass.

I'm glad you're ok Heidi. Not sure the condition of the bike, but if you need parts, please post up a list. If I have any of them, their all yours. ;)

If the bike is 'effed up, have fun and go shop for a new one, that'll make you feel much better. :dribble:

+1 on ATGATT, road rash is too painful.