Change of plans (Part 2)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heidi,

It seems like another EOM alumni has become your crash compadre' ......05FJRBLUEDEVIL (Mike) who rode with me and TRIPLETANGO (Richard) last fall went down on an entrance ramp when he hit some sand/greasiness on his way home from a ride in Ohio (?). He is bruised, the bike is battered but he is OK also. We might have to have some sort of roundtable discussion in WV to discuss possible causes and ways to avoid this sort of bullshit...

Oh noooo... I saw a post referring to him going down. He's ok, yes? Sheeit can happen before you know it. It happens in the click of fingers.

Mike, have you rethunk waiting until a rest stop to light up? I'd think that would take your attention for a split second.

I am hoping for my bike to be fixed within a couple of weeks as opposed to the timeframe that I originally had in mind. This is my absolute favorite time of year to ride & I've been very bummed about missing spring riding season.

Mike, thanks for the well wishes. I'm really glad I'm ok. I see it had the makings of a devastating event.

The ankle... was feeling better until I sat on it Sunday while it was looped under me while squatted on the floor of my shed taking my fairing off. It seems only fitting that I should re-hurt it while dealing with my bike, eh?

I am ordering a new set of Avon Storms today that will be mounted up when I get over to the bike shop. I'm not riding on that same worn out rubber that tends to wander (worn fronts tend to wander). Ths was the Azaro's last trip, too. I was swapping them out before going anywhere else.

Heidi

Well Hedi, I am sorry to hear that you had a get off, it seems that with the new riding season amoung us we all need to remained focused on the riding......

Glad you are okay otherwise,,,

btw is your carrier going to raise your rates??? or is that yet to be determined?

I still have not decided on whether to claim mine or just fix it myself....

take care Mike

Well Hedi, I am sorry to hear that you had a get off, it seems that with the new riding season amoung us we all need to remained focused on the riding......
Glad you are okay otherwise,,,

btw is your carrier going to raise your rates??? or is that yet to be determined?

take care Mike
Riding season... what is that? I ride year round. Hahahaha!!!

If it's under a thousand dollars, if it were me, I'd fix it myself Mike. I'm not sure how my carrier is going to handle my rates after this. I'll tell ya'... if they go up drastically, I'll be finding new insurance. So far they shelled out around $1300. I'm not sone with them, either.

What do you need? Fairing, saddlebag cover, etc? The prices add up quick. A fairing is $265.77 at University Motors & a saddlebag cover is $286.60. Funny the saddlebag cover is more expensive than the fairing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The size of your deducible, total cost to fix, current driving and accident claim record.

All factors to consider.

Low deductible, jacked up alignment, clean record.....claim it.

high deductible, plastic only damage, couple tickets....Bob Vila time.

K2 went down last year on a brand new 07. He claimed it (brand new and all), his rates then dropped 50% at renew time.

Ya never can tell......

I myself had a fairly low deductible.

Yep, if there isn't snow on the ground, I'm riding, been to Atlanta, daytona, ohio commute daily so it is my pride a joy...

So new plastic for me....

who is your coverage through?

did they cut you the check or want to pay the dealer?

Well I have state farm, 250 deductable, clean record, have claimed it....

I will need lower and upper fairings left side, high way peg stat cover, exhaust cans, radiator took some hits so maybe that, givi top case took a hit and the light reflector is gone on the left side around to the back, pegs took damage, slider took damage, mirror took damage, bar ends damaged, aux light bracket/ light broke, may be more...

oh they said they would replace helmet but not gear????? gloves, jacket pants etc the gear is okay, but is good to know for future.....

right lower fairing has some damage and right exhaust can has minor damage, so I guess I just let them fix it all....

might as well, have it look new again!!!!! :rolleyes:

mirror took damage, ...

I wonder if you can get them to use the FZ-1 mirrors instead?

Direct bolt on, just slightly longer.

BlueDevil - I've got a stock left mirror that's yours if you can use it - no cost.

Jim

EDIT - However, I'd personally put the FZ-1 mirrors on - I've got them and love 'em.

Yep, if there isn't snow on the ground, I'm riding, been to Atlanta, daytona, ohio commute daily so it is my pride a joy...

So new plastic for me....

who is your coverage through?

did they cut you the check or want to pay the dealer?

Well I have state farm, 250 deductable, clean record, have claimed it....

I will need lower and upper fairings left side, high way peg stat cover, exhaust cans, radiator took some hits so maybe that, givi top case took a hit and the light reflector is gone on the left side around to the back, pegs took damage, slider took damage, mirror took damage, bar ends damaged, aux light bracket/ light broke, may be more...

oh they said they would replace helmet but not gear????? gloves, jacket pants etc the gear is okay, but is good to know for future.....

right lower fairing has some damage and right exhaust can has minor damage, so I guess I just let them fix it all....

might as well, have it look new again!!!!! :rolleyes:
Wow, I think that you have more damage then me... although, my gear... all of it except boots are toast.

Heidi,

I'm sure glad you're alright! Its good to read that you're already in the process of getting the bike back in riding condition. I knew you would, it's in your spirit.

Multitasking on a bike has ALWAYS been a problem. It's SO damn easy to get distracted. I think Murphy's Law says that if you look away for more than 1/2 second, something will happen. That's always been the way with me, and it never fails. I've had so many close calls over a lot of years.

Last summer, I was doing 35 in the right lane, gawked at a scantily clad cutie in a cage in the left lane for 1 whole second. Looked up, the teenage idiots in front of me had slammed on the brakes for an unsignaled right turn. They were only a few feet ahead of me, practically stopped,

and I'm still doing the speed limit! I thought "ABS" and did my best to lock them up...couldn't believe how fast I stopped! Missed them by about a foot. Thanks, Murph, you SOB.

As the mental trauma dissipates, and it will gradually, you will be just fine and I fully expect to see you riding again at this years EOM. Best wishes.

Charlie

Riding season... what is that? I ride year round. Hahahaha!!!

Yes, what is it? Its snowing right now, expecting 6 to 10 plus inches and temps will barely make 40 for the next 5 days. To cold to even go out in garage to work on farkles.

Crap, didn't even know this happened. Glad your o.k.

I just had the pleasure of rebuilding my entire left side and front end from my get off! If you have any questions while putting it back together let me know!

Glad you had insurance, mine came right out of pocket, 1775 dollars!!!!

Heidi, now that I can post, let me say that I am glad you are upright and able to talk about it. Hope to see you again!

Marty in PA (I'm the FZ-1 guy from last year's WV gathering)

Hey Marty, What's happenin'! Tom (from Canada) gave me your message. Much thanks to you.

So, you got your FJR yet?

My bike is on it's way to recovery. Actually, I only have a few things left to do. Was riding her on Sunday. I feel twitchy on the bike. I do believe a new set of tires might help ;) ... so, I ordered some today.

Will be seeing you in September,

Heidi

Yes I have my NEW BLACK CHERRY FJR!!! :clapping:

Actually I pick it up Thursday. Not completely prepped yet, but we raced up to the dealer after work today and we sat on it for a moment just before closing. Already ordered Givi and intercom and ....

Yes see you in Sept. Sally is very interested in meeting you characters!

Heidi, you will be tentative for a while. You will be slower for a while. The only cure is patience and mileage. One day you will realize you feel perfectly normal, completely capable again, and it will be behind you. I know :(

Ride your ride, and when we meet again don't embarass me - I'll be the slow one learning how to handle the FJR... :D

Yes I have my NEW BLACK CHERRY FJR!!! :clapping: Actually I pick it up Thursday. Not completely prepped yet, but we raced up to the dealer after work today and we sat on it for a moment just before closing. Already ordered Givi and intercom and ....

Yes see you in Sept. Sally is very interested in meeting you characters!

Heidi, you will be tentative for a while. You will be slower for a while. The only cure is patience and mileage. One day you will realize you feel perfectly normal, completely capable again, and it will be behind you. I know :(

Ride your ride, and when we meet again don't embarass me - I'll be the slow one learning how to handle the FJR... :D
Damn, and just when I was getting quicker!

Hahaha... I do expect to be slower for awhile b4 getting back to my old self. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Andddd, I don't expect it to take you long to get up to speed on the FJR. You were tickling me w/ how fast you were on the FZ1... & how fast you caught up to us when we pulled out of that town after losing you. We did manage to keep up w/ you, though.

Yes Marty there is a little more weight in the FJR over the FZ1. I know it will be a short learning curve for you. :rolleyes:

See you the end of May... in Mexico :friends:

You'll be "back in the saddle" in no time.......If ya wanna go riding, Heidi, give me a call........If you need help with the reassembly, again give me a call.......