Change to Pilot Road 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keg

Reaction score
I just changed to Pilot Road 2s and i was wondering if anyone has noticed a change in vibrations after they put them on. I had the dealer install a new pilot road 2 on the front when I had the ignition switch recall done, and I am feeling way more vibration through the seat, pegs and tank than with th BT021s I had before. I really don't feel an increase in vibrations through the handle bars though. I rode it for 50 miles on the highway and when I got home the license plate was barely hanging on by one bolt which also had loosened. I brought it back to the dealer to have them look at it, and they are saying they don't notice any unusual vibration. I have Helibars on, so they did not have to remove the triple tree, so that is not an issue. I also had a throttle body synch done so that could be an issue. Has any one else noticed a change in smoothness or vibration when they switched to PR2s? I chose these tires because of the many positive posts, and very few negative comments. At this point I think I will have to Take the wheel to a different shop and have it remounted and balanced. Thanks for any comments or opinions.

I changed out the front as you did and have no vibrations. It ran with the rear BTO-21 and had no issue. I had the PR-2 rear put on but am waiting on suspension parts and haven't tried it out yet.

Really haven't heard of any vibration issues related with the PR-2's. Nothing but good reports especially with higher miles accounted for. I actually had the rear PR-2 mounted up and it required no weight. First for me with any tire. That is a good thing IMO, but I'll have to wait and see for sure. I would do as you say except just check the balance first before remounting. Good luck. PM. <>< ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. The BT 020s (was that the 'stone OEM model in '05?) that came on my '05 cupped (scalloped) badly very soon, so the Pilot Roads I put on eliminated that dance, and the PR2s I've been using since they came out have been great for me -- better than the PRs in every respect.

But then . . . I once owned and rode a '69 BSA 650 Thunderbolt, so I have NO idea what you guys are talking about when you refer to how badly the FJR vibrates. :rolleyes:

One thing you might take a look at is how the bead is seated. If you don't use enough tire lubricant when mounting, it's possible that the bead did not seat evenly all the way around the rim. There's a line on the PR2 tire that should be 1/8 to 1/4 inch (rough guess) from the rim when inflated, and pretty much even all the way around. If it's not, the tire should probably be remounted (bead broken, relubed and reinflated to seat completely).

Otherwise, the PR2s are pretty evenly balanced (typically no real heavy or light spots in the tire itself). Obviously, there are wheel differences, and rebalancing might be needed. As for me, though, I have seen zero problems in the couple sets of PR2s I've run. (I mount and balance my own, so I take the time to be anal about seating and balancing them while some service departments' employees might not.)

Just got back from my NY to SD to Colorado back to NY ride.

Over 8500 miles on the PR2's.

The PR2's were flawless! Rode 120 miles through a torrential downpour through Kansas, bike never even hiccuped...

I expected them to flatten out, cup.... They still look great!

Keg,

Did the same to my Feejer! I think your issue is unrelated to your PR2. My bike started to vibrate rough after the stealership did the TBS and changed plugs, I called the shop and relayed my concerns and issues and demanded that they check it out again for free sinch they claim to stand behind and guarantee their work. Long story short; they had to readjust the CO settings on my bike. It was running too lean and was getting shitty gas mileage.

RUNS GREAT NOW AND NO MORE VIBRATION!

HOPE THIS HELPS :yahoo:

Thanks guys. The problem is I am in dealership hell right now. I'm getting the classic "we rode it and didn't feel any abnormal vibrations". I am supposed to leave on a 2 week trip this weekend and I really don't think I am going to get any satisfaction out of them. I have 6400 miles on it and it has been getting smoother up until they worked on it. It now feels like someone stuffed a dozen vibrators down my pants and its vibrating parts off like a Buell.

Yes they did do a T B syn. Classic problem someone working on a piece of equipment before they have the training to do it properlly.

Last item worked on is usually the problem. This case the TB syn.

Take it back and stand up to them to do you rite

Yes they did a throttle body synch. After the fender bolts fell out I checked there work under the tank and found evidence of very sloppy work, like the heat shield not being properly fitted, with the little black fastener just laying loose in its hole and the washer from one of the T-bar bolts between the t-bar and the mounting flange on the frame.

Keg,

If you have not put it back together yourself, take pictures of this and/or call the Yamaha Regional Service Mgr to review their work. 800-962-7926 Yamaha Customer Service

I am sure after this they will get this done for you correctly.

Hope it works out for you for the service was done improperly.

I don't know if this is what you are talking about, but when I put on the PR2's, I noticed a slight 'buzz' from the front tire. This is not a vibration but a steady, very low, 'road noise' type of feeling. It doesn't affect performance or grip but is just a little noisier tire than the PR's it replaced.

I don't know if this is what you are talking about, but when I put on the PR2's, I noticed a slight 'buzz' from the front tire. This is not a vibration but a steady, very low, 'road noise' type of feeling. It doesn't affect performance or grip but is just a little noisier tire than the PR's it replaced.
Ditto,,, ,, I'm currently running a PR2 on the front and a BT021 rear,,,

I've noticed a slight road noise I wasn't aware of before,,, I've been going to check the bearings ,, brakes ,,

air pressure ,, tire balance ,, etc,,,

I'll still check everything out ,, but it helps to know I wasn't just making things up to worry about..

Ditto,,, ,, I'm currently running a PR2 on the front and a BT021 rear,,,
I have the exact same setup. Just put the PR2 on before a 1700 mile weekend and it's awesome. I don't feel any vibration to speak of, ran it up to 128(GPS indicated), still felt rock steady.

I mount my own tires, and since the PR2 doesn't have a light side mark, I actually balanced the bare WHEEL before mounting the tire. Used 2 1/4oz weights.

After mounting the tire, it was all still in balance, I did not add any additional weight, so indeed, the PR2 was in balance.

I went to the dealer this morning and they were doing the throttle body synch over again. I have the bike back again and the vibes are better but not as smooth as it was before. I plan on taking off the front wheel tonight when I get home from work and taking it to another shop and have them remount and balance the tire. I need to get a Morgan Carbtune and do the work myself. If I didn't have to have the ignition switch recall done the dealer never would have seen my bike. I did all the work on my BMW and always had a smooth running bike. Thanks again .

Love the PR2s!
+1. Check here for my recent experience. (Clicky). Handling is very different compared to the OEM BS. Bike cornering is more agile now with a clear desire to pull into the lean angle. BS felt as though it would have to be forced to correct position then held there against its will. With 500 mi. on it, no shimmy, no vibes, no tram lining...just good solid performance. And they stick pretty well too.

Cheers,

W2

I went to the dealer this morning and they were doing the throttle body synch over again. I have the bike back again and the vibes are better but not as smooth as it was before. I plan on taking off the front wheel tonight when I get home from work and taking it to another shop and have them remount and balance the tire. I need to get a Morgan Carbtune and do the work myself. If I didn't have to have the ignition switch recall done the dealer never would have seen my bike. I did all the work on my BMW and always had a smooth running bike. Thanks again .
When your done let us know where the problem was - please.

:rolleyes: