Cheap ass farkles.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRMH Eagle

Reaction score
Throttle Lock:

Many thanks to Jestal for his great idea for a cheap ass throttle lock!! Thanks to Mattster31 for his feedback on his two-year use of it so I did this today.

I added electrical tape to prevent the end of the coat hanger from ripping my gloves and to help hide it from view. First impressions: the tapered end fits my forefinger perfectly. It takes little pressure from the forefinger to move the lock. This holds very well and is easly disengaged by either flipping the brake handle forward or simply twisting the throttle forward. Cost = $0.05

JestalThrottleLock.jpg

.......................................................................................

Radiator Protector:

I made this out of cage wire, zip ties, and black spray paint. The only thing the irks me about this is the sharp ends of the wire where it has been cut... gotta be careful when washing the bike. Cost = $2.00

RadProtector.jpg

.......................................................................................

Helmet Lock:

This helmet lock was made from a cable and cable connector thingys from home depot. I used a crimper at work to bind it together. I will upgrade this to a thicker and longer cable to include my cycleport jacket. The cable does not scratch the paint. If a helmet is locked via a lock using the d-ring for attachment then someone can cut the strap and take the helmet. Someone will need bolt cutters to get my helmet. Cost = $13.00 including lock.

If the production mgr will allow me free access to the crimper then I am willing to sell these.

LockedHelmet.jpg

Here is where the cable is stored.

StoredLock.jpg

Matching keys. Does this prove I have class?

MatchingKeys.jpg

Helmet Visor:

I used a thick mailing envelope at work for my sun visor. Regular clear tape holds it in place. I didn't want to pay $15-25 for the visors I've seen advertised and plus I wanted it to be at a specific level on the helmet visor. Not only does this eliminate the sun but it forces me to keep my eyes on the road since there is no view higher than looking straight ahead. Soon I'll replace this with dark-colored construction paper. The boss saw me cutting up company envelopes and instead of reprimanding me he complimented me of saving money. Cost = free

Visor.jpg

Pretty bike.... hey, do I see dirt on it? Looks like it needs a wash!! :rolleyes:

PrettyBike.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of a non politically correct word for these farkles.
I'm all ears. The money I didn't spend on the $85 radiator guard, $40 helmet lock, $100-125 throttle bar end, and $20 sun visor.... plus shipping..... is being used to buy the Heli triple clamp in the current group buy.

I say great work. :) I used to build Jeeps for offroading, and this type of thinking to create solutions was the name of the game. :)

I might suggest trying a different grille cover. Rocks small enough to get past that grid can still damage the rad at the speed they hit. ;)

Perhaps expanded aluminum?

I once used the stuff meant to cover eaves trough to keep leaves out to make inserts for my Golf TDI - looks great, was cheap and beat the heck out of spending $200 for a set online. :)

Try using window tinting instead of construction paper in your visor. Bought a roll of "limo" tint for all of $14. There's probably 75% of the roll left after 3 years and the end result doesn't obstruct your vision but still helps when the sun is low.

Way to go! Great penny-tech farkles.

You should see what guys in the KLR-650 community do to their bikes. And they take pride in out-doing each other and coming up with the most clever and *cheap* solutions. One example, for a top trunk, the Rubbermaid Action Packer. $18.00 at Wal-Mart.

You can save yourself a lot of pain and blood loss by changing the way you trimmed the screen for the radiator protector. Instead of the way you have it now, cut the little stub end pieces of wire off flush with the vertical run... a few strokes with suitable sandpaper or maybe a file, and no more ragged, poking little wires to maul you.

I do agree with sportsguy though... something with less open space would give you better protection for about the same money.

What's not to like as you're laughing your way to the bank? Good on ya!

Don

You can save yourself a lot of pain and blood loss by changing the way you trimmed the screen for the radiator protector. Instead of the way you have it now, cut the little stub end pieces of wire off flush with the vertical run... a few strokes with suitable sandpaper or maybe a file, and no more ragged, poking little wires to maul you.
I do agree with sportsguy though... something with less open space would give you better protection for about the same money.

Don

+1 on the rad screen trim job. That is all you really need to do to it to make it less snaggly. But I'm not so sure I'd go with a protector with too much smaller holes. You really don't want to inhibit air flow at all. Afterall, that is kind of the point of the radiator...

A strip of duct tape across the top of the face shield works wonders for me. F 1 drivers have done it for years and look at the budget they are on.

A strip of duct tape across the top of the face shield works wonders for me. F 1 drivers have done it for years and look at the budget they are on.
I use two strips of electrical tape. same idea, blends in with my black helmet better. Works great until it gets really late in the day... guess i could add another strip of tape.

Great list of farkles! I don't quite get how the throttle lock works as designed. My $12 one is starting to fail more frequently :(

I use two strips of electrical tape. same idea, blends in with my black helmet better. Works great until it gets really late in the day... guess i could add another strip of tape.

Great list of farkles! I don't quite get how the throttle lock works as designed. My $12 one is starting to fail more frequently :(
Great idea twistedcricket and flowback on the tape. I never knew F1 drivers use ductape.

The throttle lock (which is simply a coat hanger) is wrapped around the throttle and the protruding ends rest upon the brake caliper. There is enough friction between the hanger and throttle so the throttle doesn't move while the the brake caliper holds the hanger. But it's not so tight that it is easily disengage by moving the throttle or the lock with your finger.

I have an idea to "adorn" the sides of my radiator cover. If it works I'll send more pics.

On the cage wire the wires run in 1/2 the size of the oem cover. I don't want to do anything smaller since the bike does overheats in stop n' go traffic in the summertime. Once last summer the heat guage hit one bar less than all of 'em - noticed it in traffic and quickly changed my route and got on the highway. If anyone has found a better substitute PLS post photos!

Don
The same wire mesh doubled over would cut the opening size down to 1/2 the size it is now. Cutting another piece and offsetting it up/down and side/side gives you 1/4 of the current opening size.

just saw your post on air flow...maybe edit the above to add, "never mind."

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate your cheap ass farkles, I think I will have to resort to them myself after having to spend $2100 for this...

124.jpg