Cheap ass farkles.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a couple a fellas have the" What are the Jones's gonna think"? attitude.. Screwit! Let the jones's loose their pretty lil house and all the pretty toys, while I wile away the hours with my not so pretty stuff. ;)

Necessity; the Mother of invention B)

Good on ya Eagle :good:

:jester:

roadrunner, do you also ride a Harley with all the fringe and shit hangin off your sleeves and grips. And are your new H D harness boots all shined up for the big 5 mile poker run this weekend? Don't forget your bandana ( red, hangin out of left rear pocket ) and those all important fingerless gloves.

I't isn't all about looks here. The FJR is a tool for some of us and tools aint always pretty.

Go buy some new shit and leave the thinking to us . :p

Wait a minute, commenting that some chickenwire ziptied to a radiator and paper taped to a visor are quite a bit short of what would normally be expected on a $12,000 bike and a $650 helmet and all of a sudden he should be on an all chrome and tassled HD? Talk about going from one extreme to another.

I don't think roadrunner was trying to say that eagle should have his FJR privileges revoked (I could be wrong) but just that after spending that kind of money some might think that more care might be taken on craftsmanship. Understandably not all of us can afford (or want to spend the money for) the fancy farkles that are available nor are we as capable as fabricators like Garauld but I agree that these "Cheap ass farkles" are pretty freakin' hideous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with roadrunner in spirit, here is another cheap radiator cover:

IMG_0010.jpg

What it didn't cost in cash it did cost in the time and effort of disassembling the front cowling.

I'm with roadrunner in spirit, here is another cheap radiator cover:
IMG_0010.jpg

What it didn't cost in cash it did cost in the time and effort of disassembling the front cowling.
See, that still looks good. V65 put some "time and effort" into his project and it comes out looking pretty freakin good from what I can tell with all the road grime. :) To each his own I guess.

So, how do you keep a setting sun out of your eyes? :unsure:
Fog City makes a nice tinted strip that costs a whopping $15 IIRC. There are other, cheaper solutions I'm sure but IMHO paper taped to the visor is a bit much.

edit: I just looked it up and it costs $11.95 Fog City Speedtint
I still wouldn't pay $11.95 (plus tax and/or shipping) when the strip of black electrical tape works just fine for me, looks good and it's FREE! I do think that a piece of cardboard taped to the shield would look tacky, but to each his own. In a bind I'd have no problem taping cardboard into place until I could properly engineer a good looking, cheap alternative.

Nice job on the "Cheap Ass Farkles" Eagle! I'm going to make one of those coat hanger throttle locks until I can get a AVCC installed.

And ignore the 'poser' attitudes of some. I take pride in my ride but own it to ride it, not look pretty for others. Spend your time and money where you best feel it adds to your FJR experience... and keep sharing your 'Frugal Farkles'! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Helmet Lock:
This helmet lock was made from a cable and cable connector thingys from home depot. I used a crimper at work to bind it together. I will upgrade this to a thicker and longer cable to include my cycleport jacket. The cable does not scratch the paint. If a helmet is locked via a lock using the d-ring for attachment then someone can cut the strap and take the helmet. Someone will need bolt cutters to get my helmet. Cost = $13.00 including lock.

If the production mgr will allow me free access to the crimper then I am willing to sell these.

LockedHelmet.jpg
Although this looks good, why not just pick-up any one off hundreds of cable locks on the market? Master has Security Cables for as little as $8 and Cable Locks well under $20 (even seen a set of 3 for $16, that's $5.33 each!) Is your's thicker cable? Is length an issue? Just curious as I usually just hang my helmet on a mirror without a lock... but then again, I live in Canada and don't need to worry as much, I guess. :)