Cheap ass farkles.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How the **** did you come up with the $$$ to buy your FJR in the first place? Yea the KLR guys are thrifty, They have a reputation of being "Cheap Assed" on the ADV site. I don't spend much money on my bike,except for fuel, but I wouldn't put that throttle lock on anything anyone would look at. You bought a Shoie,($$$) but used paper and tape for a sunguard? Why not just use paint? WTF? and no comment on the helmet lock or radiator guard, but a litte effort on craftsmanship wouldn't hurt. How much thread do you show before putting on new rubber, I have a couple of used tires with a little rubber left if you want them, that is if you can afford the shipping :blink:

Dude, chill.

In many parts of the world frugality is a highly honorable asset.

Cobbing together useful stuff from other people's trash is craftsmanship.

Rube Goldbergian contraptions are pieces of fine art.

Not everyone lives to buy new shit.

I like the coat hanger cruise control (...on his bike. I have an AVCC on mine ;) )

How the **** did you come up with the $$$ to buy your FJR in the first place? Yea the KLR guys are thrifty, They have a reputation of being "Cheap Assed" on the ADV site. I don't spend much money on my bike,except for fuel, but I wouldn't put that throttle lock on anything anyone would look at. You bought a Shoie,($$$) but used paper and tape for a sunguard? Why not just use paint? WTF? and no comment on the helmet lock or radiator guard, but a litte effort on craftsmanship wouldn't hurt. How much thread do you show before putting on new rubber, I have a couple of used tires with a little rubber left if you want them, that is if you can afford the shipping :blink:
I have to agree with most of what NMRoadRunner said although it might have been stated a little less aggressively. Frugal is on thing, but the apparent lack of any pride in workmanship is entirely different.

(edit)

Thank you Fred W (see post below). You are correct... I deleted the post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhhh..............you're just jealous. :rolleyes: Granted the throttle wire thingy could look a bit nicer. I covered mine with shrink wrap.....very sleek. As for tires.........I like to show about this much before a change.

DSC05500.jpg

I think CRMHEagle is going for more function versus form, and I applaud his efforts. Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to save a few bucks. Who cares what it looks like!!!! If it works, then that's all that matters. I'm about to cut some wire cage up for my own rad guard. <_<

I'm with Fred, no need to apologize for your farkledge, cheap ass or not. Its your bike, your ride. I've got a couple cheap ass farkles I'm rather fond of and get good use. (But damn, that throttle lock is on the edge)

Remember this one from years ago:

IMG_4183.jpg

Cheap ass, yet really functional. Sold a bunch here for gen 1 bikes.

IMG_4184.jpg

IMG_4185.jpg

Another favorite is the very useful (and cheap ass) vinyl coated polyester seat cover. Stows easily, goes on easily. Protects that $500 leather seat from sun and rain. Laugh all you want, it works.

IMG_4181.jpg

Front has two Velcro strips to keep in in place either side of gas tank. Just below tank on plastic trim.

IMG_4182.jpg

Recent addition is my cheap ass GPS mount. Made from scrap 6061-T6 aluminum and a handful of washers. One day I'll get around to making a machined aluminum spacer to replace the washers.

IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg

The thread on that bolt holding it all together by the way is a 10mm x 1.25 pitch. Thank you, Yamaha for putting it there. I knew it would b e handy for something.

Is this your submission for "Helpful Forum Member of the Year"? Jesus, lighten up Francis! :rolleyes:

Don

Interesting Farkles,, I like the helmet lock, that's probably a MUCH stronger lock for your expensive lid then the bike come with, The Rad guard is interesting, but you can get some nice rubber edging and make it look a lot better (and less likely to scratch your paint)

Not too crazy about the throttle lock tho, it's an interesting design and a good use of supplies, but the fact that it hooks around the brake lever is scary, considering how good the Feej's clampers are and how powerfull the motor is....weeeeeel I'd be wary....

Kudos on the ingenuity tho :)

Hey, I just added another view to the conversation, like it or not. I have very few farkles, but the ones I do have don't make my bike look like a POS.

Hey, I just added another view to the conversation, like it or not. I have very few farkles, but the ones I do have don't make my bike look like a POS.

Farkles that may or may not look like a POS, IMO are very subjective. One mans trash is another mans trophy (so to speak). No doubt your farkles are great for you...............but this is not the "my bike is better than yours" forum. Nor is it the "Jerry Springer" forum for FJR's. Act like an adult and you will be treated as such. Flame someone because you think think they're not "good enough" for you, and you should expect a bit of attitude. Don't take it personally dude.

:ph34r:

beauty or lack there of is a personal opinion. thats what you added. you just chose to do it in an insulting and sanctimonious way. hurray for you.

I thought it went "It puts the lotion on the skin, or it gets the hose again"
You should watch it again....................it's actually,

"It rubs the lotion on it's skin............"

Then,

"It puts the lotion in the basket............."

Don't forget,

"Eh, are you about a size 14?"

One of my favorites <_< <_<

Farkles that may or may not look like a POS, IMO are very subjective. One mans trash is another mans trophy (so to speak). No doubt your farkles are great for you...............but this is not the "my bike is better than yours" forum. Nor is it the "Jerry Springer" forum for FJR's. Act like an adult and you will be treated as such. Flame someone because you think think they're not "good enough" for you, and you should expect a bit of attitude. Don't take it personally dude.

:ph34r:

I could not have said that better myself. Kuddos to you and thank you Eagle for the "cheap" farkle idea.

What part of "Cheap Ass Farkles" do you not understand? :lol:

The throttle lock is Jestal's creation. Who, by the way, has contributed greatly to this board in the areas of oil, gas, filters, engineering, etc. Maybe you owe him an apology.

Are you knocking God's blessing in my life? By God's grace I've been lifted out of poverty to where I had the means to buy my first bike ever, my new 07A. I waited 5 years for my bike. By God's grace I have the means to buy any farkle I want or another bike for that matter. I do spend $$ on stuff but I'm not blowing money on a throttle lock or whatever if I'm not sure it's what I need.

If you haven't attended a NAFO gathering then I encourage you to do so. You will see FJR's farkled in thousands of ways. For the ones you don't "agree" with just don't call them a "pos." Many of the riders carry... :eek:

Yeah, I spent $650 on my Shoei x-11 but I'm not gonna knock you if you buy a $75 Bell. Well, maybe YOU because you deserve some payback... ha! ;)

Now let's end the "fighting words" and get ready to ride this weekend.

FU, it's friday! I was refering to the craftsmanship, not the idea! A little workmanship gos along way. :assassin: