Cheap-o HID Brackets...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
Here's the aux light bracket I made for my new HID that are on the way. As said in another thread this tie's both mirrors together for the strongest connection. Next to all you negitive fellow's... Go out in your shop and make your own, and please don't bust my chops.. If you have a better idea, go do it.. That said here is a few pictures of how I did it, and testing is going on right now... Looks to be a strong bracket with a pair of my buddys Solteks on it..

Original Cheap-o light thread!!

Started with a piece of 2"x.125 flat stock a little cutting and some bending and this is what I came up with.. Hope this helps the guys wanting to add some aux lights to there bike...

Smitty

004-3.jpg

Paper template..

007-3.jpg

A little bending on a brake..

009-2.jpg

Template for the gusset..

011-2.jpg

Cross bar to tie both together..

013-1.jpg

Parts tacked and the mock-up

014-2.jpg

A little trimming and a little Tig welding...

005-3.jpg

006-2.jpg

007-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

Mounted under the mirrors.. I did have to grind the spacers down so a full nut would hold the mirror/light bracket on..

017-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You liked model trains as a kid, right? That cow-catcher ought to scare the deer away and if not...

:)

Seriously, nice workmanship and will be great for night rides. Because there's such a long cantilever arm from the mirror base bolt holes, you might consider a stick-on felt pad under the front, to take up the space and keep the bracket from flexing down to the fairing. They'd be hidden and the felt would contact the upper outboard corner of each headlight. Something like these from Home Depot:

img_8526-300x225.jpg

Perhaps cow-catcher, perhaps Bambi slicer/dicer or maybe a bit of Mad Max. One thing's for sure, that is a real man's

bracket :)

It just begs to have this relocated to the center of the bracket:

3469318274_7c3cf1ea54.jpg

:lol:

You know what they say, BIG light bracket, LITTLE dick. :p

But still........just think of all the deer whistles you could put on that mofo!

Me likey. I WAAAAAAAANT one.

Most EXCELLENT job Smitty!

I wonder how much front end lift you'll get from that airfoil at ~ 150mph? :rolleyes:

Maybe a piece of round stock to connect the two sides would work better?

Uhhhh......Fred? That's not an airfoil.

An airfoil has a groovy shape: Clicky.. But, I suspect you know that.

Angled correctly, that piece should make *zero* lift. And a hell of a lot easier to mount lights to than a piece of round stock.

Yeah, yeah... I thought the lights were only mounted on the side flat thingees, not the spoiler bar across the middle. And the air coming up the face of the front faring and headlight is going to see that big flat surface of the connector bar, angled nicely to its intended path... I think there's gonna be some lift. Definitely a good amount of added turbulence, but that might be a good thing?

Now if we could only find a huge conveyor belt smoke chamber... Calling Mythbusters!!

Splitting hairs with a microtome, unless the shelf/bracket is perfectly edge on to the wind there will be a force imparted to the (however small) sail area. Not truly an air foil but certainly a transmitter of force.

Might be better to orient the Bambi slicer blade vertically so the bike can pass through the middle of the cleaved ruminant.

Having a half of a recently disemboweled deer deflected up over the windshield might not be very clean fun. :unsure:

Hey Smitty, you selling them old heavy pos Solteks?

No there not for sale.. There not even mine... There belong to KSFJR, just on loan. I sold them to him over a year ago, just hasn't picked them up yet..

Here is what I was thinking.. So many thinking of deer, air over the bike ect... I was given this my one of the worlds best Rally rat/LD guys out there. As a tribute to my friend/hero Skooter G. I think a Hula girl to scare evel spirits away is the shit...

What do you think Greg???

Smitty

005-5.jpg

006-4.jpg

Here is what I was thinking.. So many thinking of deer, air over the bike ect... I was given this my one of the worlds best Rally rat/LD guys out there. As a tribute to my friend/hero Skooter G. I think a Hula girl to scare evel spirits away is the shit...
What do you think Greg???

Smitty

006-4.jpg
Oh hell ya. Anyone can see that is some good strong mojo, right there. She will break the wind (hopefully not back in your face) and the deer will see that and thinking they are in Hawaii, run off and try to swim to for the mainland.

It's just too bad she didn't actually swivel her hips when the bike moves... ;)