Chicago and area fjr riders get together

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you all realize that the 17th is FATHERSDAY. I still might be able to amke that date, but I wonder how many will have family obligations.
Hey, it's Father's Day. Don't you get to do what you want, Dad? My wife doesn't care what I do on Father's Day, since I went to Hooterville on Mother's Day. :D

I'm for a Chicago FJR ride, and I know the Broken Spoke, but why head into the city on a day the Cubs are playing? How about we head north to the Full Moon restaurant which is becoming a gathering spot for riders now that the Highland House has closed. Food is decent and now-a-days there's a least 50 or so bikes there, including some FJRs. It's also a good jump-off point for those interested in riding through Wisconsin.

The Full Moon is located on U.S. 41 just south of Route 41 near the Great Lakes Naval Training Center in North Chicago.

Yeah, I messed up the dates.

Sunday Sunday Sunday either the 10th or the 17th- weather permitting.

I see most want the 17th. I'll check back later.

I'm for a Chicago FJR ride, and I know the Broken Spoke, but why head into the city on a day the Cubs are playing? How about we head north to the Full Moon restaurant which is becoming a gathering spot for riders now that the Highland House has closed. Food is decent and now-a-days there's a least 50 or so bikes there, including some FJRs. It's also a good jump-off point for those interested in riding through Wisconsin.
The Full Moon is located on U.S. 41 just south of Route 41 near the Great Lakes Naval Training Center in North Chicago.

I totally agree with Jon. Why fight city traffic, PLUS baseball traffic. The Full Moon sounds like a good alternative: easy to get to and closer to some good riding for those who might want to eat and then ride!

Sorry to say, but I am out for both the 10th (out of Town) and the 17th (Fathers day, going to the Cubs with the entire family).

Maybe another time, or next year.

So, are we a go for June 17? Ma said I can celebrate Father's Day by going for a ride. But why drive into the city on a Sunday with a Cub's game. How about the Full Moon Restaurant on Route 41 just south of Route 137 in North Chicago. It's becoming a gathering spot now that Highland House is closed.

So, are we riding?

I'm planning on riding (after I eat, of course). With the number of FJR owners in Chicago rising the way it is, I'd love an opportunity to meet as many of them as possible and June 17 looks like a good start. I know Fathers Day is not an ideal day, but it appears to be OK for a fair number of us. As far as location goes, I would very much like to avoid any place near Wrigley Field when the Cubs are playing....especially on Fathers Day. I'm grateful to Blitzer for getting the ball rolling on this, however, IMHO the Full Moon is a much more desirable location to meet....at least on the 17th. If the majority agrees and we meet there, I'm in.

If you're planning to attend and you have a strong preference on location, let's hear it. I would also like to hear from other Chicago owners who are interested in meeting, even if you can't make the 17th. Again, with the large number of owners around here, I think there's a strong possibility of regular or semi-regular meetings/rides.

I won't be able to make this Sunday meet...but some other Saturday meet when I'm not in MO/AR, or SW WI, or SE OH, or southern IN /KY...

...I'm in.

Or at CFR, or at EOM...

I like RCL's idea of just setting a day once a month for a get together at a certain place and time. Whoever shows up, shows up. Whoever wants to ride after, rides. No planning, no obligations. Just my $0.02. Third Sunday of each month at ???? at about ???? time.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're planning to attend and you have a strong preference on location, let's hear it. I would also like to hear from other Chicago owners who are interested in meeting, even if you can't make the 17th. Again, with the large number of owners around here, I think there's a strong possibility of regular or semi-regular meetings/rides.
I'm for the Full Moon on the 17th at what time? Sounds better than mucking around in Chicago.

The masses have spoken.

[SIZE=24pt]Sunday - 6/17[/SIZE] [SIZE=24pt]at The Full Moon on Route 41[/SIZE]

I'll leave the time up to all of you. Just throw some times out and get a concensus.

Maybe someone can think of a little ride that can be done from that location for the day.

-blitzer

The masses have spoken.... Just throw some times out and get a concensus.

OK. I'm throwing out 9 AM....meet, BS, eat, BS some more and head out for a ride by 11. If you want to BS a LOT, be there at 9. If you want to just eat and BS a little, come at around 10. If you're a "no BS" kinda person who doesn't eat breakfast and just wants to ride, be there by 11. If you're going to the Cubs game or have other Fathers Day obligations, try to come at 9 for an hour or two at least.

As far as a decent ride goes, I'll leave that up to someone else. I don't get up to those parts too much. Jon??? VFR Rider??? Any suggestions???

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully I can attend on the 17th (work travel and trying to earn a $ can put a real hamper on the schedule) but I really like the idea of a casual, regular meet (for example, third of every month at X time at X location).

New to the FJR and just transferred to Chicagoland a year-and-a-half ago, I look forward to meeting you guys and, of course, to riding more!

If I can get out I do have a route in mind that will take us to WI and then to Lake Geneva for possible lunch. It will be local roads mostly once we are in WI.

A ride into Wisconsin? Now yer talkin'. Consider Breadman a definite maybe(are we really gonna sit until 11 if the weather's nice?) Talking good-riding better. I look forward to meeting yoos guys.

As far as a decent ride goes, I'll leave that up to someone else. I don't get up to those parts too much. Jon??? VFR Rider??? Any suggestions???

Ride suggestions for Sunday, June 17 after Full Moon rendevous:

1. Kettle Morraine State Park in southern Wisonsin is nice. It's about 1 1/2 to two hours ride north.

2. Illinios State Beach is not far north, if folks want to have a shorter ride and then lay on the beach (sunny weather assumed).

3. There is a car and bike show in S. Barrington, IL.

4. From the Chicago Motorcycle Guide - Go north on Route 45. After riding thorugh Libertyville and Mundelein, the road opens up to real country riding. Once you pass the Illinois State line into Wisconsin, you enter true rural America. As you go North, you can take various detours. For instance, go West on Route 50, and you end up in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Or, continue North, and you intersect the freeway to Milwaukee.

5. From the Chicago Motorcycle Guide - Gilmore Rd. north to Rte. 176 and watch out for buffalo. Gilmore Rd. starts just north of Rte. 22 and Rte. 83 and goes northwest through some of the prettiest prairie, forest, horse ranches and buffalo that you can imagine.

Just some suggestions.

Jon

I'm working the 16th so the 17th sounds good, as long as the natives don't get too restless. I'll just leave after shift, shower at the firehouseand head on up sheridan! Sounds good so far! Sorry, for the late post, I've pretty much been ignoring most ride posts because I wasn't sure if I was gonna have a season and didn't want to get more depressed than I already was. <_<

A ride into Wisconsin? Now yer talkin'. Consider Breadman a definite maybe(are we really gonna sit until 11 if the weather's nice?) Talking good-riding better. I look forward to meeting yoos guys.
You gonna be there on the 17th, Breadman? I'm for going north into your stomping grounds.

griff said:
You gonna be there on the 17th, Breadman? I'm for going north into your stomping grounds.
I should have also said I'll try to get there by 9, but I wouldn't want to wait until 11. I'm with you Breadman.

The masses have spoken.... Just throw some times out and get a concensus.

OK. I'm throwing out 9 AM....meet, BS, eat, BS some more and head out for a ride by 11. If you want to BS a LOT, be there at 9. If you want to just eat and BS a little, come at around 10. If you're a "no BS" kinda person who doesn't eat breakfast and just wants to ride, be there by 11. ...
Although I won't be there...that sounds like a good & logical plan that would fit all the various types of FJR riders.

If others want to plan a specific ride that would require leaving on the ride earlier than 11...that could be a separate ride plan on the days you guys aren't doing the meet and greet. Hey I'm all about riding, but I think the purpose of this thread was a meet and greet session...and if successful...have it on a regular basis.