Chicago area: Anybody have a NoMar tire changer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If anyone has one, can I pay you to change my tires? Looking for less expensive means to go thru tires...

Post up or PM me.

If nobody has one...

I am trying to reduce the cost of tire changing and would be interested in 2-4 people going in on a NoMar. I've never done a co-op buy and I'm sure that there are risks with it...but it would be nice to be able to change my own tires with the great NoMar setup. Others that didn't buy in could pay a nominal fee for their tire changing and that would offset the purchase cost. Anybody interested in discussing this further....if so post up or PM me.

Mark/wheaton

aka...fatbastard

Mark,

If I were MUCH closer, I would be in.

I've been researching tire changers for several weeks. I checked out the NoMar booth at Americade but didn't pull the trigger while there to get the free freight. Well, I just got off the phone with them, asked that, since I looked at it at Americade, could I order it today and get free freight. Answer, "Sure, I can do that". I thought I would have to threaten to order up a changer from Harbor Freight. It will be shipped out on Monday. I'm getting the Classic model with the Ultimate 2 package.

Now , let's see...Southwestmoto........ :yahoo:

Great idea. At the very least, if it meant saving a few $$$, then I would be willing to pay a per tire usage fee.

If anyone has one, can I pay you to change my tires? Looking for less expensive means to go thru tires...Post up or PM me.

If nobody has one...

I am trying to reduce the cost of tire changing and would be interested in 2-4 people going in on a NoMar. I've never done a co-op buy and I'm sure that there are risks with it...but it would be nice to be able to change my own tires with the great NoMar setup. Others that didn't buy in could pay a nominal fee for their tire changing and that would offset the purchase cost. Anybody interested in discussing this further....if so post up or PM me.

Mark/wheaton

aka...fatbastard
So where would we put it then?....Illinois or Ontario? :lol:

Mark I'm pretty sure that you have seen Smitty use his so you know how good they are. If you guys can swing it it will be worth it. If you don't have a place to leave one permanently mounted and do have a vehicle with a receiver hitch, get that mount from them. I have it and it works fine.

Also, do not forget to get a Marc Parnes wheel balancer or some other balancer and I am assuming that someone has an air compressor. Starts to add up doesn't it? And, how about a nice motorcycle lift. That damn Smitty twisted my arm and made me get the lift, NoMar and Parnes. He is an expensive guy to hang with. But, they sure are convenient.

Chester

Mark I'm pretty sure that you have seen Smitty use his so you know how good they are. If you guys can swing it it will be worth it. If you don't have a place to leave one permanently mounted and do have a vehicle with a receiver hitch, get that mount from them. I have it and it works fine.
Also, do not forget to get a Marc Parnes wheel balancer or some other balancer and I am assuming that someone has an air compressor. Starts to add up doesn't it? And, how about a nice motorcycle lift. That damn Smitty twisted my arm and made me get the lift, NoMar and Parnes. He is an expensive guy to hang with. But, they sure are convenient.

Chester
Thanks for the post Chester. I've got the balancer...I'm sure someone has a compressor. Don't really need a lift.

Just need 4 or so guys who ride alot or hate paying the dealer to mount and balance. Geez, I only have 36k in three years so I'm sure others do way more than me.

The NoMar is the only way to go...I've seen Smitty use it. I haven't used it myself but it looks like the real deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone has one, can I pay you to change my tires? Looking for less expensive means to go thru tires...Post up or PM me.

If nobody has one...

Mark/wheaton

aka...fatbastard
So where would we put it then?....Illinois or Ontario? :lol:
Have space in my garage :rolleyes:

Mark, I have a guy that has a machine in his shop. He always sets me up with the best prices. Have you bought your tires yet? Buzz me up.

I would be very interested in this idea. I hate giving any money to the dealers in this area. Plus it would give me a great excuse to get out of downtown.

Well, it doesn't sound like anyone around the Chicago area has a NoMar.

It sounds like we have a few that have expressed interest.

If enough people are interested (for me...I could only invest $200...so I would say about 4 to 5 minimum), then we can start thinking about meeting somewhere and moving forward...

so if you are interested in buying a NoMar CO-OP please "raise your hand" soon by posting or sending a PM.

So far I have 3 interested in looking into this...Big Mar & skifrik & evilmedic

Any others interested in pursuing this NoMar?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have stopped pursuing further the idea of purchasing a NoMar tirechanger via CO-OP.

I have decided to instead build a homemade bead-breaker set-up that griff showed me and demonstrated while we changed my tires at his place yesterday. It seemed pretty effective and also easy to build.

As I saw that 2 of the 4 people were in Chicago (and I didn't want to ride into Chicago to change my tires) my place at home here is pretty small and cramped for others to come here to change their tires, the typical obstacles/hassles of co-op ownership combined with the ease that griff's bead breaker set-up worked just led me to pursue the home made option instead.

Thanks for those replying to my posts and sorry for disappointing those few by my withdrawing from this venture.

If others wish to pursue this, feel free to take the reins of this thread....

Wish I wasn't out on no-man's land, or I would do the same thing.

Two sets ago, I bought a set from SWMOTO and my local dealer said, "No problem, I'll just charge you labor," before I ordered them. Last month I needed a set, they matched SW price +tax, so I bought from them and they got the labor for putting them on. Last week, week I decided to lay in a extra set, and they ordered another set for the same price. Only this time they tried to hit me up for another $95, then said they forgot to give me my "discount" when I balked.

Then the owner says prices are going up big time on tires in the near future (which I believe), and that they don't want to mount tires more than a year old (which I think is BS). I checked the manufacture dates on the set on the bike (Dec 06 and Feb '07) and the set on the rack (Mar '07 and May '07).

I think he will start trying to hit me for full retail plus labor for mounting next time. Since I only put on about 12,000 miles per year, it is not worth buying a changer. But at a savings of $150 per set, I sure wish I could co-op.

B)