Chicken stripes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jride

Reaction score
I keep reading about the fjr dragging parts early into curves. Meaning that it cannot be leaned over very far for a st. So my question is can it be leaned far enough to remove all chicken stripes before dragging anything?

If not then can it be leaned enough dragging only the pegs without folding up hard to remove stripes?

I keep reading about the fjr dragging parts early into curves. Meaning that it cannot be leaned over very far for a st. So my question is can it be leaned far enough to remove all chicken stripes before dragging anything? If not then can it be leaned enough dragging only the pegs without folding up hard to remove stripes?

Yes............it's not to difficult to drag the pegs, but then again, it does have to do with your personal riding "style", and the condition of your suspension, and whether or not you have the bags loaded, pillion aboard, etc..........That said, the entire width of the rear doesn't seem to be a problem, but there is always a 1/2" or so on the front that I just can't seem to reach :angry: BTW.........if your pegs are, as you say "folding up hard", chances are something bad is about to happen :rolleyes:

Also could depend on your tires. I notice that some tires I have chicken strips (Mainly Dunlops) others (Michelin's) I use the whole tire. Yes it's riding style and maybe tire profile too. I have never dragged the pegs (that large acorn nut is gone from my pegs) or muffler/pipe on the FeeJ.

I keep reading about the fjr dragging parts early into curves. Meaning that it cannot be leaned over very far for a st. So my question is can it be leaned far enough to remove all chicken stripes before dragging anything? If not then can it be leaned enough dragging only the pegs without folding up hard to remove stripes?
I rarely touch pegs but I typically wear my tires to the edge. If you are dragging hard parts and still have a considerable amount of tread left then you might consider your suspension. if you have more than about 20K on the bike then you probably need suspension work. Fork rebuild and a new rear shock.

I run Michelin PR2 's now and dont drag anything after 3500 ks around Tasmania . I used to touch down until I set up my suspension as per this forum + a couple of tweaks. I also ride two up most of the time.

No chicken strips left of the rear tyre after 500 k's of scrubing in and about 1/2 an inch of CS on the front.

My advice is get the suspension set up to stop the touchdown.

If chicken strips is how you measure a bike's or a rider's ability or usefulness, then run your tires at 20psi.

No chicken strips, gauranteed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Or go buy take-offs from road racers - if it really means that much to you. <_<

I used to sell them for about $100 a set back in the mid 90's to street squids. :lol: Sure helped offset the price of race tires.

Fencer, wfoosee or cdogman may have some left from their track days. I'm pretty sure they didn't have any chicken stripes left after a day on the track. They probably would be willing to sell them. ;)

Running Roadsmarts with upgraded suspension F and R, with no chicken strips at all on the rear :unsure: :unsure:

I drag peg often but not pipes. Use all the rear tire and have about 1/4 in left on the front. I am good with that.

I've got 'em. I ride as fast as I want to. I don't care about chicken strips, I care about remaining upright. I can keep up with the people I ride with.

As I get older, I get slower. That's okay with me.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you are dragging early in a turn it could have something to do with your throttle control. If you chop the throttle or come into the turn hot and braking or coasting, then the suspension won't set up and those parts have a lot less clearance. I am certainly no expert, but it seems to me you should be able to get the bike over plenty far on the street without running out of tire (if you aren't riding like a maniac). I have only been riding the FJR for a few hundred miles and motorcycles in general for about 5000 so take any input I give with a hefty grain of salt. My bike has 11,700 miles and only the ones after 11,041 are mine and I have only touched a peg once, and those are the only marks on the acorn nuts. That scrape happened late in a turn and the bike was pretty far over and I was on the throttle, and looking at the back tire when I got home that barely reached the edge of the tire.

I guess i didn't explane myself well enough.

I don't have an fjr i am considering one as my next bike later this summer ( as well as c14, k1300s/gt, sprint st) I read in motorcycle mags that the fjr draggs parts too soon ie you can't lean them as far as other st's.

frankly i drag pegs on my cruiser all the time and it does not bother me to do so. my bike has 180/55 17 rear and i leave about 1/2" on it. I would hope the fjr would leave much less.

just for the record, I read in another thread that the fjr will do double the posted speed on curves posted for 35-45mph. I would hope so, I can do that on my cruiser.

I guess i didn't explane myself well enough. I don't have an fjr i am considering one as my next bike later this summer ( as well as c14, k1300s/gt, sprint st) I read in motorcycle mags that the fjr draggs parts too soon ie you can't lean them as far as other st's.

frankly i drag pegs on my cruiser all the time and it does not bother me to do so. my bike has 180/55 17 rear and i leave about 1/2" on it. I would hope the fjr would leave much less.

just for the record, I read in another thread that the fjr will do double the posted speed on curves posted for 35-45mph. I would hope so, I can do that on my cruiser.
It's the rider not the bike...I drag pegs sometimes, no problems with it, I just rode 1100 miles of mostly goat on a 4 day tour, rode fast and never touched a peg once, I was riding at a different pace on roads I don't know, but I was leaned as far as I needed to be, but I do admit to sliding off the seat a leetle bit...

And you can certainly drag knee on an FJR without dragging peg feelers. How much more clearance does a rider need?

I know what chicken strips on a tire are. But chicken stripes, that sounds like something that might come about involving a rooster, zebra and a lot of Jack Daniels. And it's not even anywhere near Friday.

Here's a PR2 rear at 9600+ miles after NAFO last year (on a VERY loaded bike). I'm not "that" aggressive....and I'm old.

I don't remember touching a peg down on that trip. In act, after taking a couple of riding classes, I changed peg "acorns" and have touched the right once...no touches on the left.

Tires-Chocoholic009.jpg

How much more tire do you want to use on the street?

I want to ride tomorrow and the next day and get home from 2 or 3 states (1500+ miles) from home.

I'm just sayin'! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator: