Chicken stripes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they didn't put that feeler on the peg and if you didn't touch it once in a while, then may you aren't using all the lean angle. I figure that if they put it there, you are supposed to use it otherwise they would have left it off.

I use more tire than anyone when I ride

abusa.jpg

If they didn't put that feeler on the peg and if you didn't touch it once in a while, then may you aren't using all the lean angle. I figure that if they put it there, you are supposed to use it otherwise they would have left it off.
Just a thought...maybe those little acorns are there to tell us that we are comeing close to pushing the limits and if we are not careful we might find ourselfs sliding down the road on our arse's. Just a thought!

Just a thought...maybe those little acorns are there to tell us that we are comeing close to pushing the limits and if we are not careful we might find ourselfs sliding down the road on our arse's. Just a thought!
While I agree, in principle, and personally no longer push that envelope, for those who enjoy a sporty ride there is plenty of lean angle in the FJR after the peg feelers touch down. A rider can lean far past the "touch point" and continue the corner/curve leaned with the foot peg partially folded. At that point a good front tire is a necessary requirement as this heavy sport-TOURING bike is demanding good grip up front. However, there is the point where....well....a scraping muffler is very likely to lever the rear wheel off the ground. Let's just say that scenario is "un-good to the max".

My personal experience is that aftermarket suspension parts will make a vast difference in the handling of this platform, especially for a rider who is my size (6'2"x250 lbs.) that taxes the OEM suspension or if one rides 2-up.

The original question was about lean angle/chicken strips and the answer is that the FJR will lean further than reported in some magazines. The peg feelers are a warning device and seem to touch earlier than some other bikes of the same design. My first set was ground 3/4 of the way through. As I said above in my first post on this thread, I've taken a couple of skills classes, replaced the suspension parts (fork springs and rear shock), replaced the feelers and have only touched one since then.

Oh yeah, and I'm old, slow and much more cautious on unknown roadways than I once was. That's part of riding my own ride so I can ride home and then ride again tomorrow. My personal comfort zone may be much narrower than others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try to take a grinder to my tires every now and then just to keep the chicken strips from upsetting the balance.

I'll try to take a grinder to my tires every now and then just to keep the chicken strips from upsetting the balance.
Great idea !! A girl at Home Depot was admiring my FJR and just had to mention that she noticed the "chicken strips". If she saw the edges all eaten up she would have thought I was a real man !