Chicken Strips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drop the air pressure to 34 psi, load up all three bags, and pick up that hefty maiden that's been eyeing you for a ride. The tires will "roll" off enough to rub all the chicken strips away. Just don't blame me if you slip into a coma. :)
Why drop your tire pressure with all that weight?

Okay, I love the bike, like the thrills...so what's stopping me???

I have this undercurrent of fear that, if I do lean down too far going through a curve, the bike will - all of a sudden - break traction and I'll get dumped.

I know the phenomenon of centrifugal force, but my mind ignores it...

Thoughts?

Yes.. Trust your machine. I took mine out to the track and for a long portion of the day, I was passing more powerful bikes. And in the twists and turns, I was catching the pegs. You will learn to trust the rubber... Try a track day even on the big machine..

Yes.. Trust your machine. I took mine out to the track and for a long portion of the day, I was passing more powerful bikes. And in the twists and turns, I was catching the pegs. You will learn to trust the rubber... Try a track day even on the big machine..
+1 on the track day!

I took my 06 out at Grattan raceway in Michigan the end of June. It was a blast!

Gives you chance to find some of your, and the machine's limits without the unwelcome issues that come with the street!

Oh and it IS possible to eliminate unwanted chickie strips on a metz-06! B)

Of course I don't seem to be able to post the pics of said event though...

The new design tires like the MEZ-6, Diablos, Pilots, etc. are impossible to get all the chickens stripes off. Heck, even if your FJR was lying on its side :eek: you still couldn't get the whole tread.
I have to disagree, i had my PilotPower 2CTs down to the point where the little arrows (that indicate the tire fitting/rotation direction) were half scrabbled off, on both sides of the rear, at least that was when i lived in a place that actually had twisties :(

Now, living in booooooaring-ass FL the only way i can even attempt to get the chicken strips down to about 1/2" or so is on the expressway on/off ramps :dribble: