• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Clearwater Lights Group Buy: March 1st - March 30th 2013 (details inside)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Called ClearWater today. Unfortunately, the Ericas are color temp spec'd at 6300K. Personally, that is too blue for me. These look like incredible lights at a great price. I really like the PWM control circuit too. I look forward to the next version with maybe a more white/white-yellow tint.
Barry
Sorry the color isn't to your liking Barry! I've actually changed all my vehicle lights to a 5500-6500K color spectrum as I feel it does a much better job of providing contrast in most nighttime situations. The yellowish tinge most factory vehicles have just seems to die when it bounces off things in the distance leaving them indistinguishable from the background. I like a kit much closer to "daylight" spectrum but without that lame purple hue the riders seem to always choose.

Glad you found out ahead of time what the kelvin on these was before you ordered, doubt they will come out with a different hue anytime soon but if they do I'm sure you'll love them. Thanks for your input as there may be others shopping who also are particular about their lighting color... we each have our own preference that works best for how we ride.

Happy miles and ride safe!

Abe

P.J. - Glad to hear how it worked out. It also wouldn't surprise me if they someday account for all 50 sets!

Regarding that off/on aspect of the "dimming" feature that Gary was talking about (which is why they use less wattage at lower power, unlike a conventional dimmer), kind of a funny observation: I have a Go Pro cam I use on the bike. The first time I looked at one of my vids I was surprised how all the traffic signs reflected the light from my Clearwater lights. They all seemed to be flashing!

Same thing when I rode with a friend who also has these lights, and had a shot of him coming toward me. It looked like they were on one of those headlight modulators. This is ONLY as seen on the playback, not even slightly visible to the eye. It's the same effect we used to see on old western movies when the wagon wheels seemed to be going backwards. The frames per second of the camera is a little off-kilter with the cycles per second (OK, nanosecond) of the lights. A little weird.

p.s., Ditto on preferring the white-vs.-yellow contrast with other vehicle lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Your Clearwater Light order will ship today via UPS Ground tracking"
punk.gif

Yep, gonna do it too.

Oh, wait, my phone is outside, and it's raining.

Tomorrow.

Someone remind me, 'k?

Hey Carve,

Here's your official forum reminder. Quit making excuses and pull the trigger... There ya go. That reminder will be 5 bucks, Paypal is fine.

Anyway, now that I've read every Clearwater lights post on this forum going back to 2009, every post on the Clearwater website's "News and Reviews" tab, and a zillion online reviews, today I pulled the trigger on a set of Kristas.

I DID IT !!!!!

excited.gif

I got the ones with the blue bezels for 25 additional bucks. Gotta match my beautiful blue FJR you know. I gave a lot of thought to the possibility of getting the Ericas, but for the kind of riding I do, I'm thinking that they'd just be overkill 99.9% of the time. Yeah, I suppose I'd have something to brag about if I bought the Ericas, but that's just not my thing. Besides, I don't think my Gen 1 charging system would appreciate trying to run them things... and I can think of a lot of ways to spend the 200 extra bucks. From what so many have said on the forum, the Kristas are insanely bright and should be more than I'll ever use most of the time. I think I'll be content to run them with the dimmers most of the time... soes I can be seen by all the little old blue haired ladies that populate the roads around here.

From Clearwater:

Good Afternoon Gary:

Your Clearwater Light order will ship today via UPS Ground tracking #... bla bla bla... The package will require a signature confirmation for insurance purposes. If you are not home, please read the slip that UPS provides you advising that an attempt has been made. On the back side of that slip an alternative is offered that allows you to sign and authorize UPS to leave the package for you on their next attempt. Please read this slip carefully.

A copy of your invoice is attached for your files. Should you need an additional copy of the Installation Manual included with your shipment, you may find it on our website.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions, or if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you and enjoy the lights!

Lorett Kinnicutt
Clearwater Lights
2546 Mercantile Drive Unit B
Rancho Cordova, CA 95742
916 852-7029
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ClearwaterLights

Anyone know if the Darla's come with the dimmer switch and if they can be hooked on to the "high" & "low" beam mode? I'm definetely ordering the Darla's; been waiting for a LONG time for a deal like this to come around.

Everybody, big round of applause for the one, the only...LLLIIINNCCCC!!!!!!

Just call Lorett. All your questions answered quicker than you can tie your shoes.

Clearwater lights: 916-852-7029

Gary

darksider #44

starting on it now ..
Niehart,

Be warned: if you even THINK about riding that bike before you post up some pictures, we'll put the FJRforum hex on ya (may the fleas from a thousand sheep build a nest under your seat).

-WE MUST HAVE PICS...

Gary

darksider

Thanks for setting this up Linc.

Lorett informed me on Wednesday that they are out of the Krista brackets and my order will not ship for another week or two. Who was the lucky guy to get the last pair of Kristas??

Ordered mine up through the group buy GREAT deal thanks Linc. Ordered the Darlas! Lorett was great to place an order with. Will ship Monday she said.

starting on it now ..
Niehart,

Be warned: if you even THINK about riding that bike before you post up some pictures, we'll put the ScooterG curse on ya: (May the fleas from a thousand camels build a nest in your nuts, and may the cursed ground spider bite annually!).

-WE MUST HAVE PICS...

Gary

darksider
I edited your post Gary to increase the threat level of your original persuasion! ;)

I would encourage pictures, before, during, and after... just to be safe ya know! Hehe

Thanks for setting this up Linc.
Lorett informed me on Wednesday that they are out of the Krista brackets and my order will not ship for another week or two. Who was the lucky guy to get the last pair of Kristas??
You're welcome, guys! Glad the group buy is going so well... I bet we are well over 15 members now! :D

starting on it now ..
Order is ON THE WAY! Lorett was extremely pleasant and answered all my questions like a pro! love those guys
I agree, been on the phone with her 3 times now... she has the perfect customer service attitude and I wish I was close enough to buy her a box of chocolates! For putting up with my incessant emails and questions last month, but mostly for having to deal with all y'all over the phone. My apologies Lorett! LOL

Linc! Wouldn't happen to have Lorett's direct e-mail address heh? Need to send her something direct.

Ordered the Darlas which are much smaller and almost as bright as the Kristas...

By the way, asked about getting some protective lens/cap for the Darlas because I'm installing on the forks and they told me they never had an issue with lens breaking because of the lower install position. Lorett told me that if the lens ever shattered from a rock, that Glen would surely replace it at no charge; now THAT is customer service. I am impressed!

Ps Linc, you can give me email on p.m. If u prefer. Tks

Ordered the Darlas which are much smaller and almost as bright as the Kristas...

By the way, asked about getting some protective lens/cap for the Darlas because I'm installing on the forks and they told me they never had an issue with lens breaking because of the lower install position. Lorett told me that if the lens ever shattered from a rock, that Glen would surely replace it at no charge; now THAT is customer service. I am impressed!
Hey Joe, PM sent! I'm prett stoked to see how many Darlas are getting ordered... I have a feeling they will be perfect in their fork mounted position. Let us know how you like 'em! :)