Clunking When First Starting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Farlow

Reaction score
I have searched here and read several threads on clunking, popping, banging, drive lash (what the heck is that?), etc. Some don't seem to apply to my situation, and some are dead ends with no explanations. I also checked the FAQs, but because I might be misunderstanding certain terminology, I might be overlooking the answer I am seeking. This is likely not a big deal, but because I don't know for sure, I wanted to ask around and see what the consensus is.

I have a 2009 FJR. I turn on the key, flip down the engine disable switch, and I hear the priming (if that's what it's called) as I expect. I put the bike in neutral, press the start button, and the engine fires up. I hold in the clutch lever and the front brake when starting, and slowly let go of both once the engine turns over. There is nothing unusual at this point... no sputtering, stalling, long starts, etc. Almost immediately, however, something starts banging or clunking. I can hear it over the noise of the engine, and I can feel it if I am sitting on the bike (although somewhat weak). I want to say that it is coming from the shaft, but with my very limited technical knowledge on motorcycles (especially shaft drives), it might be coming from the gearbox or somewhere else.

I can definitely say that this is not a pop as in an exhaust sound. This has a solid, heavy sound to it. It does not seem to be timed with anything, and happens randomly. Some mornings it happens once or twice and then doesn't happen again, and some mornings it happens several times.

mmmm bang mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bang mmm bang (In my oh so clever example, "mmm" is the sound of the engine idling)

The engine is idling at about 1100 RPM, where I understand it should be. Once the engine warms up, it doesn't seem to do it any more. And so we are on the same sheet of music, I am not talking about clunking when shifting. This happens when the bike is in neutral after first being started from sitting for a period of time. It does not happen when in neutral (or in gear while holding in the clutch lever) when sitting at a red light, for example, because the engine is warm at this point.

This might be completely normal, and I would be fine with that. I have just never experienced anything like this. My previous bikes were chain drive, so my logic is that this is related to the shaft drive, but again, I have no idea. I would take it to the dealer where I bought it, but I have discovered that they suck, and so I don't feel like I can trust them (long story, but a change in management has led to horrible customer service).

Thanks in advance for any input. As I said, I might have already found the answer but because my level of understanding and use of terminology might be different than others, I don't know for sure if I've found the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think mine does the same as you are describing. It makes some banging noises when first started up, sounds like it's misfiring some and trying to turn the engine backwards (don't think so). Goes away after less than a minute. I wrote it off to a big engine warming up. Never gave it a thought after the first couple of starts and it didn't come apart.

Big cams and a cold engine?

I think mine does the same as you are describing. It makes some banging noises when first started up, sounds like it's misfiring some and trying to turn the engine backwards (don't think so). Goes away after less than a minute. I wrote it off to a big engine warming up. Never gave it a thought after the first couple of starts and it didn't come apart.
Big cams and a cold engine?
It is normal. I believe that it's a misfire caused by the cold start circuit. (running rich) until it warms up.

Odd. I had figured it was normal, but I am now trying to visualize what is happening when there is a misfire. What in the world is causing that "thud" every so often?

Clicky

You may have already read this but just in case...

I thought I remember reading a more detailed explanation but I did find this one.

Thanks. I had not seen that one as I had not searched for "misfire" specifically. Seems all good to me then. I appreciate everyone's help.

That noise is caused by using the wrong oil and/or oil filter. You are using Yamaha oil, right? I've also heard that reusing a crush washer in the oil drain plug will cause this......

OK, just kidding. My bike does it too. same circumstances- when bike is cold. Hasn't been getting any worse or louder or anything- 42,000 miles and counting.

just ride it ( You do have Y.E.S. I assume)

I have searched here and read several threads on clunking, popping, banging, drive lash (what the heck is that?), ...the engine fires up. ...something starts banging or clunking.

I want to say that it is coming from the shaft, but with my very limited technical knowledge on motorcycles (especially shaft drives), it might be coming from the gearbox or somewhere else.

My previous bikes were chain drive, so my logic is that this is related to the shaft drive, but again, I have no idea.
"drive lash" is the accumulation of clearances in the whole drive system -- from the clutch to the rear wheel. It gets 'taken-up' and 'released' when, say, rolling-off and then rolling-on the throttle while riding. Present in most/all bikes, more-or-less, and is noticeable and an aggrevation in some models more than others (usually, less 'lash' being preferred). The FJR hasn't been particularly singled-out as being too bad in this regard (I think?).

As to your issue: the replies to your question (and links) are pointing you in the right direction (I think). The drive shaft doesn't come into any diagnosis until the bike moves. If you're sitting still, even with the engine running, the drive shaft and rear end are doing nothing (not involved). One transmission shaft and (some) gears may be moving when the engine is running -- but, I think you'll be better served by listening to the "Cold-start F.I." advice.

Oh..., find a dealer you like -- too.....

Good luck.

Thanks again everyone. Yeah, I have YES. I have been riding regardless of the noise, just curious. And yeah, I need to find a new dealer/mechanic.

Seems like you have this sorted, but I'm curious, why are you holding the clutch in when starting, while in neutral?

Seems like you have this sorted, but I'm curious, why are you holding the clutch in when starting, while in neutral?
Habit, just in case the gear indicator is wrong. Would rather not find out something is wrong with the indicator after my bike crashed through the garage wall.

Habit, just in case the gear indicator is wrong. Would rather not find out something is wrong with the indicator after my bike crashed through the garage wall.
Ahh, re-education time then. STOP DOING THAT. NOW.

Here's why - There is a clutch safety switch that won't allow you to start the bike in gear if the clutch is engaged, (lever out). By holding in the clutch, you defeat that safety. Now, your neutral switch, (light), could possibly fail, but how would you know if you're disengaging the clutch when starting? The bike won't start in gear. If you put it in gear with the side stand down, it will die too.

A motorcycle is a mechanical thing. You already know how it works. If you really want to be paranoid, move the bike a tad before you start it, verifying it's in neutral.

Kids! It's like you never owned a 40 year old bike w/o pretty indicators and safety switches or something.

;)

You have a gear indicator, and neutral indicator light, and built in safety features to ensure you don't ride into the wall, (unless you choose to do so). Besides, even if all of those failed, the bike would lurch and stall, not start in gear and ride off.

I have searched here and read several threads on clunking, popping, banging, drive lash (what the heck is that?), etc. Some don't seem to apply to my situation, and some are dead ends with no explanations. I also checked the FAQs, but because I might be misunderstanding certain terminology, I might be overlooking the answer I am seeking. This is likely not a big deal, but because I don't know for sure, I wanted to ask around and see what the consensus is.
I have a 2009 FJR. I turn on the key, flip down the engine disable switch, and I hear the priming (if that's what it's called) as I expect. I put the bike in neutral, press the start button, and the engine fires up. I hold in the clutch lever and the front brake when starting, and slowly let go of both once the engine turns over. There is nothing unusual at this point... no sputtering, stalling, long starts, etc. Almost immediately, however, something starts banging or clunking. I can hear it over the noise of the engine, and I can feel it if I am sitting on the bike (although somewhat weak). I want to say that it is coming from the shaft, but with my very limited technical knowledge on motorcycles (especially shaft drives), it might be coming from the gearbox or somewhere else.

I can definitely say that this is not a pop as in an exhaust sound. This has a solid, heavy sound to it. It does not seem to be timed with anything, and happens randomly. Some mornings it happens once or twice and then doesn't happen again, and some mornings it happens several times.

mmmm bang mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bang mmm bang (In my oh so clever example, "mmm" is the sound of the engine idling)

The engine is idling at about 1100 RPM, where I understand it should be. Once the engine warms up, it doesn't seem to do it any more. And so we are on the same sheet of music, I am not talking about clunking when shifting. This happens when the bike is in neutral after first being started from sitting for a period of time. It does not happen when in neutral (or in gear while holding in the clutch lever) when sitting at a red light, for example, because the engine is warm at this point.

This might be completely normal, and I would be fine with that. I have just never experienced anything like this. My previous bikes were chain drive, so my logic is that this is related to the shaft drive, but again, I have no idea. I would take it to the dealer where I bought it, but I have discovered that they suck, and so I don't feel like I can trust them (long story, but a change in management has led to horrible customer service).

Thanks in advance for any input. As I said, I might have already found the answer but because my level of understanding and use of terminology might be different than others, I don't know for sure if I've found the answer.
I had the identical experience with mine, but it went away after about 3,000 miles. I now have 8000 miles on the bike and everything is fine.

Try this if the sound persists. Start the bike cold. Go the rear of the bike and put your hands close to the exhaust outlets and see if the "clunking sound" corresponds to pressure changes from the exhaust outlets. A brief Clunk = momentary less exhaust flow on mine. Don't cook your hands as they warm up quickly. My '08 does it a little bit until it shows a few bars on the temp gauge. Probably due to fueling as described earlier. Waaaaa!

Normal I'd guess. Good time to plan your ride and walk away from the noise.

Gary in Fairbanks

Thanks for asking the question Ian. I've been wondering about those cold start "clunks" on my used 2006 FJR. Glad to find out it's semi-normal.

Folks,

I have/had the same problem on my 2007. When the bike was new and until I changed the spark plugs at ~8,000 miles, the misfire happened almost every cold startup. After the plug change, the misfire stopped until at about 14000 miles it has begun again. I don't like it. I think it is very hard on the engine. This NEVER happened on my 2004 and since it shakes the entire bike when it happens, I can only imagine what stresses it is putting on the crankshaft.

I was thinking of going to the diagnostic screen to see if I could increase the CO levels on one cylinder at a time to try to eliminate this agravating noise.

TBS have been balanced 3 times already and the idle speed may be slightly high: 1200 v 1100.

Comments please, just don't tell me "ignore it, it is normal".

Slardy