Clutch operation changed on '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jwit6, So which cam did you end up using? Could we possiblly get some pics to help in documenting this? And if this all works out, possiblly put in the 06 bin-o-facts? Interesting...PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Jwit,

That’s good news. And hearing this,

it's so easy to just bolt up their stuff and go.
made it sound even better. Thanks for sharing the info after taking point on this.

Excellent thread.

You have to wonder though, why did Yamaha change the clutch and throttle from the 04-05 models? My guess is that they needed these changes to accomodate the AE model and standardized them into the A.

It didn't do us A owners any good, but it's great to hear we can work around them.

Thanks for the information!

shokdimn, your PM is not turned on.

Here are the part numbers.

RM-40-900S Street Bike Tube $39.95

RM-40-400Y TCS CAM 400 YZF/RM/KXF $20.00

Ask for Sam at G2Ergonomics 815-718-5860

[email protected]

04/05 Clutch Slave Cylinder pt# 5JW-16381-00-00

Crotchrocket.com $58.89 and 10.95 shipping.

Thanks jwit6,

Called Sam today and placed the order. Great guy that is easy to talk with. Like I say, thanks for taking point on this. I liked the look of the cam’s contour and wanted to give it a try as soon as I saw it.

Regarding the clutch, I’m pretty happy with mine the way it is. However, that’s not to say I’m unwilling to make a good thing better later on. But, I’ll leave it be for now. In any event, I appreciate ya posting the CSC’s part # too. Now, I’ll have it if/when I need/want it.

shokdimn :bike:

shokdimn, your PM is not turned on.Here are the part numbers.

[email protected]

What modification will it take to install the cam on the stock tube.

thanks, cary

shokdimn, your PM is not turned on.

Here are the part numbers.

[email protected]

What modification will it take to install the cam on the stock tube.

thanks, cary

You can't use the stock tube. The stock tube is plastic with the cam molded in as an integral part. You have to buy both the new aluminum tube and cam.

You can't use the stock tube. The stock tube is plastic with the cam molded in as an integral part. You have to buy both the new aluminum tube and cam.

I missunderstood :blink: when it was said that we could modify the cam to fit? One more question is this aluminum tube the same size and smooth so I can reuse my cam lock...throttle lock?

Thanks, Cary

I missunderstood :blink: when it was said that we could modify the cam to fit? One more question is this aluminum tube the same size and smooth so I can reuse my cam lock...throttle lock?

Thanks, Cary

The aluminum tube is knurled in the center for better grip on the rubber hand grip but is smooth on both ends. I didn't measure the O.D. of the tubes before replacing it, but if I remember correctly, the aluminum tube is slightly thicker than the original plastic tube. I don't know how your throttle lock works, so I can't tell you if it will work with the aluminum tube or not.

Never had an older FJR but the 06 clutch IMO is great. Not too quick or glitchy, or hard to pull. Take off is smooth and with the adjustable lever pull is where you want it. Throttle, did the spring mod and added grip puppies, woff woff. I'm savin my pennies for a Garmin and a set of the new Avons. Try clutching an old HD for 18 years and you will think you died and went to heaven on the FJR. Peeps. Would like to see a road report of the G2Ergonomics throttle setup though...PM. <>< :rolleyes:

Glad to see someone has a product out to fix the throttle on this bike. This is probably a better approach than my homemade copper shim.

I don't have any plans to put one on, as the shim seems to be doing the trick for me. Maybe one day when I have some cash I don't need I will order one just for fun. Well see.

I did recently retrofit my 06 with a clutch slave cylinder from an 05, as the clutch felt too stiff for my tastes. I like the feel of the clutch much better now.

Is it safe to assume that the aluminum tube required for this fix will not work with the heated grips on an AE?

I have a brand new 06/07, and have no problem with the clutch or throttle at all.....

:)

Yes, the clutch engages 'sooner', however that is easy to get used to.....I actually like it...

Yes the throttle it is a bit stiff, and I will certainly unwrap the main spring one turn, however the action is fine...

It seems that Aussie bikes do not suffer from the low speed surge that appears to plague the US bikes - I can only assume that our bikes are mapped richer from the factory.

They should have a g2 throttle tube ready in the next week or two that fits the FJR (same length). Going to order one as soon as they are available...

Fred,

Was just curious. I ordered one shortly after jwit took point & reported on it. Am currently looking forward to getting the revised tt. Hope the retrofit turns out to be blue chip for ya.

BE,

Sam mentioned the AE to me. I don’t know if he’s going to offer a kit for it or not. For me, he was easy to talk to and eagerly responded to my concerns. I see that you’re a new member. Are you just recently learning of the G2 kit and haven't had a chance to email or phone Sam? Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum.

Rob,

Did you talk to Sam on this past Fri or Sat? My understanding was, he “hoped to have the updated tt by the end of this week”. Course I realize if he doesn’t get ‘em till Fri there’s still a lag time for shipping: putting delivery into next week.

Jwit6,

Did you decide to keep your original or are you going to go with the revised version?

Wonder why Sam encrypted that page?