Cold Weather Riding on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have installed the factory Yamaha footguards on my '13. They are a stylish addition.
MNFJR05, how did you get the factory Yamaha footguards? I can see them on the Europe website accessories, but I don't see them on Yamaha's US website. Was your local dealer able to get them?

Actually, I was able to find the OEM set for the '13. Can't find them for the '14 in Red.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, I snatched mine off eBay for a C note less than the suggested retail. I have not tried to track them down in red. I assume the mothership is still providing them....I hope.

Mike, as for air wings....yes, they do reduce the wind along the level portion of the fairing as you call it. Cut down a set of Garauld's brackets as you can see in my pics and you can have the airwings and your driving lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know in upstate NY they look at me funny when I pull into a gas station to fill my bike and I'm parked next a few guys filling their sleds. At least I get a chuckle out of it. I really enjoy it when I get home with my bike and take my sled out for a ride.

<snip>
Mike, as for air wings....yes, they do reduce the wind along the level portion of the fairing as you call it. Cut down a set of Garauld's brackets as you can see in my pics and you can have the airwings and your driving lights.
I've got the MCL driving light brackets, not the Garauld's brackets so my lights are positioned more inboard. Do the Hand Wings have to be mounted on the mirror stalks or will I have to drill a hole in my MCL driving light brackets?

You could add an extension to your brackets to mount the wings. I have my bracket mounted in the joint between the mirror and the delrin mirror extension. I was going for optimal positioning on my wings. I also built my own out of a set of Goldwing model wings and cut them to fit. I am going to slice the Garauld bracket down further this winter and get my wings mounted rearward by another couple of inches so they are centered under the mirrors.

If you're wanting stylish things on your bike why would you even consider those hand guards that mount on the mirrors. I cannot believe they've actually come up with an accessory that is that ugly.

Went riding today in the Catskills. Temperatures varied from 38° to 28°. Sure could have used the hand wings today to stop that cold blast of air in my crotch.
Why were your hands in your crotch??
200493380-001.jpg
For the usual reasons
200339923-001.jpg
157733977.jpg

Time once again for the famous, Canadian Temperature Conversion Scale:

50 Fahrenheit (10 C)

New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.

Canadians plant gardens.

40 Fahrenheit (4.4 C)

Californians shiver uncontrollably

Canadians Sunbathe.

35 Fahrenheit (1.6 C)

Italian Cars won't start

Canadians drive with the windows down

32 Fahrenheit (0 C)

Distilled water freezes

Canadian water gets thicker.

0 Fahrenheit (-17.9 C)

New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.

Canadians have the last cookout of the season.

-40 Fahrenheit (-40 C)

Hollywood disintegrates.

Canadians rent some videos.

-60 Fahrenheit (-51 C)

Mt. St. Helen's freezes.

Canadian Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-100 Fahrenheit (-73 C)

Santa Claus abandons the North Pole

Canadians don toques.

-173 Fahrenheit (-114 C)

Ethyl alcohol freezes.

Canadians get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

-459.4 Fahrenheit (-273 C)

Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.

Canadians start saying "cold, eh? "

-500 Fahrenheit (-295 C)

Hell freezes over.

The Leafs win the Cup

I just bought a 2013 and the previous owner had the foot fairings, the engine guards and the hand guards all in a box. I am going to put the engine guards on soon and am really torn over the foot fairings. I think they look good and integrate well with the guards but they also cover a lot of the beauty of the engine and it looks like it would make an oil change a lot harder. I live in Arizona and I do ride in some cold/wet occasionally I am just not sure it's worth it if you don't hit a lot of bad weather. IIf they were easier to get them on and off I'd be more inclined to try them. Might be for sale here soon..

I just bought a 2013 and the previous owner had the foot fairings, the engine guards and the hand guards all in a box. I am going to put the engine guards on soon and am really torn over the foot fairings. I think they look good and integrate well with the guards but they also cover a lot of the beauty of the engine and it looks like it would make an oil change a lot harder. I live in Arizona and I do ride in some cold/wet occasionally I am just not sure it's worth it if you don't hit a lot of bad weather. IIf they were easier to get them on and off I'd be more inclined to try them. Might be for sale here soon..
Well montanaman from Arizona (did you miss a turn?
winksmiley02.gif
) in case it helps you decide: I live and ride well north of 52 degrees north latitude and I've never felt the need for the foot guards. Good GoreTex riding boots, long johns, riding pants, and a heated jacket liner make for warm feet. That said, to each his own - if you think the foot guards would make your riding more comfortable I say go for it. You've already got them so you don't have much to lose!

Well montanaman from Arizona (did you miss a turn?
winksmiley02.gif
) in case it helps you decide: I live and ride well north of 52 degrees north latitude and I've never felt the need for the foot guards. Good GoreTex riding boots, long johns, riding pants, and a heated jacket liner make for warm feet. That said, to each his own - if you think the foot guards would make your riding more comfortable I say go for it. You've already got them so you don't have much to lose!
Good one on the "missed turn". I do live in Montana in the summer months ( "life's been good to me so far" ) and I bought the FJR so I can do major miles in comfort and the peace of mind that it won't fail in the middle of nowhere. I will have to see on the fairings. I think they are over-kill but who knows