Cold Weather Riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffejtable

Reaction score
Looks like activity for this region on the forum is a little slow. Not sure if its weather related or there is another forum Northeast FJR riders like to hang out on. Regardless, just wondering if anybody here rides in the cooler weather? Prior to the FJR I rode sportbikes and my cutoff was 40 degrees, but took the FJR out last weekend and when I left it was 27, and when I came back it was low 40s with rain. With the windscreen it wasnt really bad at all, except my fingertips, at highway speeds. I wasn't really all that bundled up either.

Just curious if anybody else ventures out in the cold..

I commute 60 miles each way year round, and only use the cage when there is snow and ice on the ground. (Or a threat of them while I am at work).

Coldest temps so far were about 11 degrees, and even with heated gloves and jacket liner, I was very cold by the time I got into work.

Since I don't have heated socks or boot liners (yet!), my toes are usually the first thing to get painful.

I do have a V-Stream windshield and the V-Strom handguards which both work very well.

Biggest issue right now is cagers apparently not expecting to see someone on a motorcycle at this time of year, which can make for some "interesting" moments on occasion, and work colleagues thinking I am insane riding in the cold...

You two guys are from the "East".

In the NorthEast we are buried in snow and the roads are all covered in salt. :angry:

There won't be any riding here till April or late March if we're lucky.

<<<--- refer to avatar

I wish I lived somewhere I could ride all year. Temperature isn't the big problem, it's traction. ;)

[edit] BTW I'm only joking about the Northeast bit. But not the damn snow...

Last edited by a moderator:
The threat of ice on the road is my cut off. The temps don't really come into play unless it's a long trip. What ya got in mind?? :blink:

I ride up until the snow flies. In the past I've ridden through Jan 20 with temps down in the teens. We had a really dry winter and very little water on the roads and no salt used up to that point.

I'll go out for a short ride when we get a nice day. Not too crazy about riding in the salt. Seems like it is pretty hard on the bike.

Wild, where do you commute to? I commute 45 miles east to West Chester.

Brian

I commute 60 miles each way year round, and only use the cage when there is snow and ice on the ground. (Or a threat of them while I am at work).Coldest temps so far were about 11 degrees, and even with heated gloves and jacket liner, I was very cold by the time I got into work.

Since I don't have heated socks or boot liners (yet!), my toes are usually the first thing to get painful.

I do have a V-Stream windshield and the V-Strom handguards which both work very well.

Biggest issue right now is cagers apparently not expecting to see someone on a motorcycle at this time of year, which can make for some "interesting" moments on occasion, and work colleagues thinking I am insane riding in the cold...
If riding to work was an option, then I would probably do the same thing, with freezing temps being my cutoff. I commute into NYC and I really don't like riding in the city when its warm out. I'm not terribly convinced cagers care one way or the other any time of the year. I have seen the V-Strom mod and if I do more cold weather riding I will likely get these. Surprisingly my feet were not cold riding last weekend, and I don't believe I had my wool socks on. It was only 35 miles though, and about 45minutes.

In the NorthEast we are buried in snow and the roads are all covered in salt. :angry:

<<<--- refer to avatar

I wish I lived somewhere I could ride all year. Temperature isn't the big problem, it's traction. ;)

Some nice roads up your way! We camped in Laconia on a trip last July (on our way to Maine). Heavy downpours kept us from sticking around, so I do hope to make it back up there some time this year for a weekend. NJ is a funny place since I guess we can be considered NE or Mid-Atlantic. On these forums there is no Mid-Atlantic, so you are stuck with me :)

The threat of ice on the road is my cut off. The temps don't really come into play unless it's a long trip. What ya got in mind?? :blink:
Hmm, nothing in particular right now. I never really considered riding in the cold much before (other that the occassional 40+ day), but I love to ride, and it really wasn't all that bad last weekend. Granted it was only about a 45 minuteride to go play soccer, and mostly to experiment with riding in such cold weather. With the Vstrom covers I could probably be out there all day... Another planned trip for this year is the eastern end of LI, as I have never been out there. That will most certainly be a Spring ride, as I have no desire to be out that way in the summer on a weekend.

A lot of folks here are prone to brag about how tough they are riding in cold weather. I suspect it is not because they have no warmer ride but some perverse need to show how macho they are.

I was in Korea in early January and saw some real riders in the cold.

This guy delivers for McDonalds. It was 15 degrees and windy when I took this picture and there were dozens of rider making deliveries in this weather just in the area I was in.

Korea101.jpg

This guy was starting a delivery a couple of days later during the heaviest snow fall in 75 years in Korea. Again, there were dozens of riders out working.

Korea314.jpg

No tipping in Korea for braving the weather to getter done, just do your job and get your normal pay.

No electric gear, heated grips and seats or high tech gear. Boy, are we ever pussies...

<<<--- refer to avatar

Some nice roads up your way! We camped in Laconia on a trip last July (on our way to Maine). Heavy downpours kept us from sticking around, so I do hope to make it back up there some time this year for a weekend. NJ is a funny place since I guess we can be considered NE or Mid-Atlantic. On these forums there is no Mid-Atlantic, so you are stuck with me :)

It's all about perspectives, right? To the folx in Floriduh, Virginia is part of the frigid NorthEast!! ;)

Roads: A lot of our back roads received much needed stimulus paving last year, making them a whole lot nicer for motorcycling. I was up through the White Mountains this past weekend (in my cage) and the frost heaves seem awfully big this year. I don't know how well all of that fresh pavement will make out. :unsure:

Roads: A lot of our back roads received much needed stimulus paving last year, making them a whole lot nicer for motorcycling. I was up through the White Mountains this past weekend (in my cage) and the frost heaves seem awfully big this year. I don't know how well all of that fresh pavement will make out. :unsure:
"shovel ready" didn't mean that they dug down deep enough. :rolleyes:

I suspect it is not because they have no warmer ride but some perverse need to show how macho they are.
No macho thing here, simple economics. I get almost twice the fuel mileage using the FJR than in the cage.

Lost my job last year and the new one pays a lot less moolah, and I still have farkles to buy...

QUOTE (Big-B @ Feb 1 2010, 11:05 PM)
Wild, where do you commute to? I commute 45 miles east to West Chester.
South to Baltimore, every frickin' day!!!

During the better weather, I stick to the back roads, but lately it's been I-83 which is either a dragstrip or a parking lot but nothing in-between.

Kudos to those guys, but its really a cultural difference. For us (in the states) riding on two wheels in the snow is an unnecessary risk. Heck, even when the weather is favorable, most people tend to think that those of us on 2 wheels are nuts. ;)

I went out twice last week and rode today. all be it short rides, nothing over 2 hrs. If I can get out my driveway and the roads are clear its a go for me. No stinkin cold here. :D

Dave

Kudos to those guys, but its really a cultural difference. For us (in the states) riding on two wheels in the snow is an unnecessary risk. Heck, even when the weather is favorable, most people tend to think that those of us on 2 wheels are nuts. ;)
And if yer in Kalifornia...yer even nutzier to ride in the rain. ooooooooh scaarrry! :blink:

:)

I commute 60 miles each way year round, and only use the cage when there is snow and ice on the ground. (Or a threat of them while I am at work).Coldest temps so far were about 11 degrees, and even with heated gloves and jacket liner, I was very cold by the time I got into work.

If riding to work was an option, then I would probably do the same thing, with freezing temps being my cutoff. I commute into NYC and I really don't like riding in the city when its warm out. I'm not terribly convinced cagers care one way or the other any time of the year. I have seen the V-Strom mod and if I do more cold weather riding I will likely get these. Surprisingly my feet were not cold riding last weekend, and I don't believe I had my wool socks on. It was only 35 miles though, and about 45minutes.

<<<--- refer to avatar

Hmm, nothing in particular right now. I never really considered riding in the cold much before (other that the occassional 40+ day), but I love to ride, and it really wasn't all that bad last weekend. Granted it was only about a 45 minuteride to go play soccer, and mostly to experiment with riding in such cold weather. With the Vstrom covers I could probably be out there all day... Another planned trip for this year is the eastern end of LI, as I have never been out there. That will most certainly be a Spring ride, as I have no desire to be out that way in the summer on a weekend.
I usually ride with my two brothers in law. Never made Eastern LI yet though sounds interesting, Montauk?? :huh:

I usually ride with my two brothers in law. Never made Eastern LI yet though sounds interesting, Montauk?? :huh:
If that's whats out there.. yeah... Probably not much to see or do, but I think I saw a state park at the eastern end, and there are some ferries to CT, so I might loop back around.. I can't imagine there even being many good roads out there... For weekend trips its usually just me with the wife 2up.

And if yer in Kalifornia...yer even nutzier to ride in the rain. ooooooooh scaarrry! :blink:

:)
Fairlaner: Are your ears burning, Richard? I just noticed this post where Wheatie jimmy-kicked you in the nut sack. Rather a solid kick and dead center, too!

If that's whats out there.. yeah... Probably not much to see or do, but I think I saw a state park at the eastern end, and there are some ferries to CT, so I might loop back around.. I can't imagine there even being many good roads out there... For weekend trips its usually just me with the wife 2up.
We visited Eastern LI last spring and it was surprisingly (to me) quite nice in the off-season. There are even a few curvy 2-lane back roads, though certainly not many, and there is very little change in elevation anywhere on the island. The ferry ride to CT is sort of fun and that puts you at the bottom of some very nice roads up through eastern CT.

We visited Eastern LI last spring and it was surprisingly (to me) quite nice in the off-season. There are even a few curvy 2-lane back roads, though certainly not many, and there is very little change in elevation anywhere on the island. The ferry ride to CT is sort of fun and that puts you at the bottom of some very nice roads up through eastern CT.
Oh, I also forgot to mention that a the Moto show a few weeks ago the Can-Am spyder dealer in Mineloa, LI convinced us o take a ride out there to give the Spyder a spin.. They do test rides... It sure looks like a ton of fun, and I am afraid I would want one after taking a ride, but I really dont have the funds for it at the moment.

Like Wild72, I ride year round, albiet pleasure riding. since work is only 20min. away (hitting all the light red), it takes more time to suit up than it does to actually ride. Of course, time to ride has been a bit scarce this year with being Mr. Mom and kids having sports every freak'n evening. Of course, I don't complain about chauffeuring them as it builds there character.

85 days of work, then summer break comes!