Commuter King?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I no worky, so I no Jockey..I have 11K on my 05 since Nov. I did get out of a ticket the other day for illegally lane splitting by telling the Bull Dyke DPS LEO that I was from Cowabunga...with a slight lithsp...She said " That figures...get back in line !!!" . Fortunately she was directing traffic and let me go....this time...whew !

Bobby

I too am very fortunate. 35 miles of great backroad (Ca 58 from east of Creston to Santa Margarita), 2 lane, vacant, twisty with great straight aways too.
Don't think I'd be nearly as eager to commute on the scooter if stop-and-go was the name of the game..
Dcarver, seems like were almost neighbors. I'm from Paso Robles. HWY 58 is nice and gets really nice just by Taft in that twisty hill section just after California Valley. Maybe I'll see you on the road.

VFRMike.

(02 VFR)

Hey VFRMike -

We are neighbors. I'm currently working way too many hours to have any fun but this to will end, December time frame.. maybe just in time for the 06?

Ride safe..

24 miles R/T three to four times a week here in the Atlanta burbs. A nice ride by a civil war battlefield. Traffic's getting worse here all the time! Explosive growth!

I do anywhere from 60-90 per day, 12 months a year on my commute. The only thing that keeps me off the bike is the occassional Seattle snowfall and sometimes not even then as long as it's not on the road.

28 miles r/t. 3-4 days a week.

30,000 miles so far. '04 delivered Aug 1 '03. I live in minnesota so the bike is in storage from nov-march. That is 1,700+ mile/month riding average! :p

Ride, ride, ride.... :D

No commuter king either 15 miles round trip 6 days a week,but tuesdays and thursdays after work I put on about 150 mile playing on the backroads.

no commuter king here either ...

15miles r/t. no freeways.. 4 miles of heavy construction traffic, with stops lights to close together, and to many people trying to get through the area... then 3 miles of hilly sharp turns through neighborhood roads and one set of R/R tracks.

2x a month we take off after work and hit the dragon/cherohala and get home around 11pm =-)

Owned since Mar 05and have put about 6500 miles on it.

Rainy days I take the cage

No problems riding in the cold/snow but only when its not on the roads ( people down here are idiots when there is anythign on theroads)

knoxville tn

Work is 40 miles a day round trip 5 days a week. School is 46 miles round trip twice a week. Then heading to boxing gym is another 30 round trip. But I split all this commuting between my truck and bike, just depends on what I feel like driving. I really like the gas mileage on the FJR; I seem to be averaging just fewer than 40 a gallon for freeway commuting.

Hmm, I’ve owned the FJR for exactly two months as off today, the 23rd, and it has close to 1900 miles on it so far. I’ll probably be putting about a thousand a month on it.

I rode it up to Julian yesterday afternoon for pleasure and sure was a peaceful ride. I had the 79 to myself nearly the whole way up but I was stuck behind traffic most of the way back down to Ramona. The more I ride this bike, the more I love it.

I manage to do 150 miles short boring route or 165 miles with a lot of twisties o the way home but am lucky as I only do it 3 times a week (round trips) so having got mine at the back end of june its already got over 7500 miles on it .

funilly enough sometimes when I get home I want to go out and play. I might have withdrawal symptons if I cut my commuting down

But its what I bought the bike for and I'm glad I did.

trouble is a couple of times on those mornings when I've done some twisty roads on the way to work and the sun is basting the side of my face I reallly want to turn round and forget all about work !

I commute everyday from Tucson to Sierra Vista Arizona. 150 miles round trip 5 days a week. Mostly interstate. The throttle lock is a life saver.

Got my 05 in May and now have 7,600 miles.

About 30 miles rt. Do it all the time. More so now that it costs more than $60 to fill up the truck. But commuting in slow traffic is not fun when the temps run 100+ all summer long, so I do use the A/C truck without guilt.

But just because someone commutes with the FJR doesn't mean they don't also do some halfway longer miles, too. It really is good for both and the two aren't mutually exclusive.

I commute about 150 miles a day (it's 72 miles each way). I live in downtown atlanta (midtown) and work in Rome GA. Most of it is freeway so it's pretty boring. there's af ew back roads I can take home but it really raised the time so I tend to just got on the roads and go..

I try to ride a few days a week depending upon weather (don't mind riding home but if it's raining in the morning I usually will drive) or if it's too cold (like below freezing, I don't like ice and in ATL you never get snow just water from water mains that's frozen. :)

I travel a lot for work but unfortunatly it's a lot of weekend so I still have to work M-F. In las vegas as I type this.

I feel the same about coming home and wanting to go for a spin but i'm thinking about a motard so that I can go for a short "hooligan" ride when I get home. :)

But just because someone commutes with the FJR doesn't mean they don't also do some halfway longer miles, too. It really is good for both and the two aren't mutually exclusive.
I agree Bounce! I was just wondering how many folks use thier FJ as a 'tool' to get back and forth to work with as compared to a 'toy' to play with on the weeekend. I have many bikes I consider toys but just a few I count on to be ready every day, rain or shine. Kind of like a Warthog airplane.. always will get you there and home again..

Looks like I need to analyze the results and announce a winner, award a prize.

It's been fun!

I do 75 miles round trip 4 days a week but on Friday at 11:00 AM my work week comes to and end and I do 145 miles to our 2nd home in the Sierras. I picked up my O5 in May and have close to 12K on it. Love that bike. Unfortunately about 25 miles of my daily commute is freeway riding. I use a SHOEI full face helmet. Great for safety but not the best for peripheral vision. I am thinking about a new helmet that lets me see the monsters to my side and rear a lot easier. Any suggestions?

Later

No commuting. All pleasure.

2000 miles per month on the FJR (24,700 on the 05)

1000 miles per month on the Cruiser, although it pretty much stays on the battery tender now days as I find the FJR ride a bit more exhilarating to ride.

Been toying with the idea of cutting back because of the high cost of gas. Probably will start to ride every other day or so. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride 38 miles daily 5 days a week rain or shine from when the ice is off the road until its back on, could be Feb - March to Dec - January. But a lot of rider up here ride that long. The bad mornings are 30 degs and misting the bridges can be terror on a young mans heart.

Silver lakes, CA to Ft. Irwin, CA -- I believe around 120 miles r/t. 5 days a week for two weeks, then maybe once or twice a week for the remaining two weeks. I would kill for some scenery besides desert tortoises and jack rabbits. At this rate, I'm going to eat through some tires because the roads are less than ideal (especially in/around Barstow). I do about half my commute on Rt 66 (from Silver Lakes to Barstow).

I'm looking into some Motolights to add to the High Desert visibility factor. Long, straight roads can be mesmerizing to the average cager.