Convince Me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two great machines, but what should tip the scales in the FJR's favor is the body of knowledge available. The Kawi is too new, and there are major kinks that either won't be there or will have been worked-around in a few years. Buy one then. Buy the FJR now.

What surprizes me is that Kawi had 4 to 5 years to look at the FJR design s bike that is a clear winner. Even with 4-5 years to work on it...it obviously isn't a clear winner.

Kawi struck out...yeah it's a good bike for some...and might be a good looking bike to some...but it is no clear winner. Therefore, considering all the effort and time Kawi had, epic fail on Kawi's attempt to wrest away the sport-touring crown.

...in my book the FJR's design is sleeker and fits what I want in a bike...a lean touring machine with some haul ass grunt when I need/want it.

THANKS I really appreciate all the response.

When i rode the C14 and the FJR I really liked the smoothness of the c14 and the engine was quieter (mainly due to running at lower RPM at speed 80mph) and no vibration at all in the bars. Those were the things I liked about the c14. But I find myself leaning more and more toward the FJR. This Forum is part of the reason. I have been reading about the throttle body sync. and the Helli bar mods.

So I will probably try to ride both again before I buy but the FJR is sounding better and better.

Thanks to all for your comments and observations. I will return to the back ground and read more about both bikes.

Oh I Also own a mean streak a great bike but I want more acceleration and better handling with a full fairing so the obvious choice is Sport Touring

Oh I Also own a mean streak a great bike but I want more acceleration and better handling with a full fairing so the obvious choice is Sport Touring
I've got an 05 Streak as well.

The Mean Streak is no slouch in the handling department. It could use more ground clearance, but turning is effortless and stable on mine. But the FJR kicks it all to pieces when you compare handling AND ride as a whole. With the roads we have up here, I feel like I'm ready to shit my spine after a long ride on the Streak.

The FJR has surpassed my VFR as my favourite bike that I've actually owned in just one summer of riding. No mean feat!

The FJR is a much more proven bike and Yamaha has made several needed improvements over the years. As with anything man made there could always be improvements. I've owned many bikes over the years but this is my 3rd FJR and it is far and away the best overall bike I've ever owned, it does most everything very well. Something to consider the FJR has been in the U.S. market for 6 or 7 years now and it would seem a complete make over would not be too far in the future.

THANKS I really appreciate all the response.When i rode the C14 and the FJR I really liked the smoothness of the c14 and the engine was quieter (mainly due to running at lower RPM at speed 80mph) and no vibration at all in the bars. Those were the things I liked about the c14. But I find myself leaning more and more toward the FJR. This Forum is part of the reason. I have been reading about the throttle body sync. and the Helli bar mods.

So I will probably try to ride both again before I buy but the FJR is sounding better and better.

Thanks to all for your comments and observations. I will return to the back ground and read more about both bikes.

WEll I have broke both wrists multible times, and have major pains. With the farkles in my sig there is no more vibration. researching the MYRP help too.

WEll I have broke both wrists multible times, and have major pains. With the farkles in my sig there is no more vibration. researching the MYRP help too.
Hmmm....broken wrists? Momma always said the result would be blindness, not broken wrists. Dayum.

Connvince you?

Let the bike convince you.

Just buy the C14; then you'll wish you had bought to FJR. :unsure:

They're both good bikes. What is it you want out of a Sport Touring bike?

Hmmm....broken wrists? Momma always said the result would be blindness, not broken wrists. Dayum.
Didnt go blind......yet. But a few to many accidents or rough housing

Did you get an equally biased opinion from a Kawasaki forum? Most of us are here because we love the FJR, warts and all. It isn't perfect, but purdy darn close.

Personally, I think the Kawi is an ugly brute, whereas the FJR has classic style lines and is just gorgeous to look at. Fire it up, drop it into gear and the deal is done. Gotta be the FJR.

Jill

Hmmm......

I do recall that there have been numerous comparisons done already... The SEARCH button is your friend here.

Lets re-visit briefly;

They are both very nice bikes and each (even in stock form) are high performance bikes with luggage.

The FJR has been around longer and obviously more refined (larger gas tank, cheaper maintenance, adjustable handlebars and seats,Gen II of course).

Bikes these days are a lot like computers in that every year a different manufacturer tries to top the others....

If your always wanting the latest, newest model motorcycle in any class.... Get ready to buy a new one, once or twice a year.

The most important thing is whether or not you have the correct platform for your needs....

The FJR's platform is a proven one and needs no convincing.

WW

I'm confused here Howie.

You have obviously spent way above average amount of time jerkin yer gerkin... Why is it yer such a limp wrist??

:lol:

:jester:

I too, poured over tests/write-ups/analysis/etc. of the (Dis)advantages between th C14/FJR/ST13.

Although I'd been a faithful Honda owner for many years, I just couldn't warm up to the ST13, for

some reason.

I've been looking for quite some time, and was very excited when the C14 was announced. But,

my excitement began to cool as I began seeing the C14's enter the pre-owned market with such

a minimal number of miles. And, the C14's didn't seem to be holding adequate resale pricing lev-

els. Here are just a few examples of nearly new C14's, heavily discounted. (These URL's will soon

disapear as the units are sold, the owner's move the listing to another forum, etc.):

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/929157125.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/912331835.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/916651009.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/912532321.html

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/914037249.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/931090906.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/901038478.html

Although I've never ridden the C14, that's actually what I wanted because it had a 3 year warranty

and it's taller gearing was more in line with my previous bike/preference.

But, I didn't want the KIPASS, and just thought the FJR held a better resale value.

If you hang out over at the C14 owner's site, you'll find just as much C14 passion there as you'll

find here with FJR passion. I'm sure they're both great bikes. Each with their specific advantages

and disadvantages.

If you hang out over at the C14 owner's site, you'll find just as much C14 passion there as you'llfind here with FJR passion. I'm sure they're both great bikes. Each with their specific advantages

and disadvantages.
Very True.

I have frequented the kawi sights and when you put in a thread like convince me you get all the positives about any given bike be it fjr,c14, hd or what have you. Whatever bike you are asking about there are those that beleive that it is the only motorcycle on the planet that is worth ridding even though they have not ridden the other bikes and that it has no short commings. Then there are those that are more realistic and will recognize no bike is perfect. That there are many good bikes out there and it just depends on what fits a persons needs and will try to give an honest assesment based on their experience with a given bike. This forum is no different.

But I did get a lot of good feed back and I thank all of you for that.

Since I have ridden both bikes I do know some of the + & - 's of each but things like service intervals and the time required to do it were totally unknown by me.

I will not bash either bike and i believe that both are good offerings. At present i am leaning toward the FJR even though I really like the smoothness of the c14. I really want to believe that the FJR can be as smooth but i haven't experienced it as i have only ridden a 2009 Fjr with very few miles on it, i think aroud 300-400 mi

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want to believe that the FJR can be as smooth but i haven't experienced it as i have only ridden a 2009 Fjr with very few miles on it, i think aroud 300-400 mi
You can make the FJR smoother, but it will never be completely vibration-free.

[ I really want to believe that the FJR can be as smooth but i haven't experienced it as i have only ridden a 2009 Fjr with very few miles on it, i think aroud 300-400 mi

IMO the FJR truly comes to full smoothness after at least 3000 to 5000 miles.

With only 300 to 400 miles, it's still a little rough around the edges.

Again, my opinion.

You can make the FJR smoother, but it will never be completely vibration-free.
This is generally correct, but it's primarily due to the FJR's inability to maintain its Throttle Synch for more than a few thousand miles.

Assuming the bike is otherwise in a good state of tune, a Throttle Synch job that is done with great care and attention-to-detail can yield a FJR platform that is exceptionally smooth and relatively vibe-free (with the exception of the 4400-4600 RPM vibe-prone range).

Sadly, the system just will not maintain this setting over time, and Yamaha is well aware of it. The FJR has the SHORTEST service-manual recommendation for TBS procedures that I have ever seen for a purpose-built touring bike: 4000 mile intervals. :huh:

It is fortunate that the TBS procedure is relatively trivial for our bike.

Contrast with the Hayabusa K8.... you need a $550.00 Diagnostic Computer to perform this operation. Happily, the K8 maintains its TBS to an extraordinary degree. At 31,000 miles, mine has never needed one, and the engine is still like velvet across all RPM ranges.

Last edited by a moderator: