Convince Me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can make the FJR smoother, but it will never be completely vibration-free.
This is generally correct, but it's primarily due to the FJR's inability to maintain its Throttle Synch for more than a few thousand miles.

Assuming the bike is otherwise in a good state of tune, a Throttle Synch job that is done with great care and attention-to-detail can yield a FJR platform that is exceptionally smooth and relatively vibe-free (with the exception of the 4400-4600 RPM vibe-prone range).

Sadly, the system just will not maintain this setting over time, and Yamaha is well aware of it. The FJR has the SHORTEST service-manual recommendation for TBS procedures that I have ever seen for a purpose-built touring bike: 4000 mile intervals. :huh:

It is fortunate that the TBS procedure is relatively trivial for our bike.

Contrast with the Hayabusa K8.... you need a $550.00 Diagnostic Computer to perform this operation. Happily, the K8 maintains its TBS to an extraordinary degree. At 31,000 miles, mine has never needed one, and the engine is still like velvet across all RPM ranges.
Warchild,

I agree.. I do my syncs every other oil change (6k) and she stays pretty smooth. You hit the nail on the with regards to the ease of work on the FJR. Oil changes done in 10 mins, plugs changed out in 20 mins and syncs done in 20 mins also.

A great platform for many miles (unlike some/most),

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
I've owned 2 FJRs, '05 and '07, and an '08 Concours. Both are great bikes. The Concours is a bigger bike, and higher seat height, which concerns some people. The engine is much smoother than the FJR, but seems sluggish low end until you pull the secondary butterflies out and put in a Power Commander PCIII which takes care of any potential lean condition in the fuel mixture. After that is done, the engine is real strong all thru the power band. The Concours transmission is loads smoother than the FJR, and the brakes are also much better. Also, the overdrive in the 6-speed transmission is a welcome addition. In my opinion the FJR looks better, is easier to move around in a parking lot, and is easier to flick through the twisties. The bags on the Concours are high on the bike and real easy to kick when mounting the bike, but the paint is good quality, so the scuffs are relatively easy to remove. The muffler on the Concours is massive and ugly, whereas the duals on the FJR fit the bike very well. I liked my Concours, but just couldn't bond to it like other bikes. I now have an '06 Wing, because I'm going to do alot of 2-up riding, but already miss my sport touring ride, so I'll probably buy another Concours or FJR, don't know which yet. Ride them both and make whatever choice feels right to you.

I too have considered both the FJR and the Connie. I haven't seen much mention of the heat issue but if you live in the Southwest (I'm in AZ) there is a very noticeable difference between the two. I've ridden both and the Concours is considerably hotter around the thighs and lower legs. The FJR felt much cooler and several other riders made the same comments at the demo rides at the Phoenix Bike Show. That was enough to convince me to go with the FJR as soon as a dealer can get one, probably about 2-3 months.

Pete

kpfetz

You know they are both great bikes .

Kawasaki has done a good job with very little first model problem ,some problems are

warped front disks

sticky rear caliper

Badly fiited insulating blocks

Some faulty tire pressure monitors ( just a warranty problem on a bad batch I suspect ) but a GREAT safety feature

KPASS system a real gimmick that's probably not realy needed

Problems with sunlight being concentrated like a magnifing glass and damaging the instruments ( warranty)

Yamaha has a proven product that is great with a few of it's own problems but not many.Really after all what bike is perfect and everyone dose not have a problem ?

Now you havn't mentioned BMW K1200GT I believe they can be had very reduced price with the ne K1300GT comming

Do not forget the BMW R1200RT slower in a drag but a very good handling bike

Both BMW have excellent front suspesion and great brakes.

This is a time to consider what EXACTLY you are going to do with it ?Ride Iron butts ,4 corners , commute every day, tour at a relaxed pace solo or two up,mountain racing . You know bikes are a compromise because we expet them to be everything .

These days every bike is MUCH better than we had in the 70's ,yes I have ridden in Minus 8C ( abou minus 16 F ) on wet dirt ( read ice on clay road ) at 2 in the morning to 50C degree ( about 135 f ) two up .So TODAY we are spolit with our choices any of the above would be great and on a trip you would be happy ,

You know today we have speed cameras fixed and mobile Laser equiped police in unmarked cars computers that track you and work out your speed . So Top Speed is a bit irrelavent if you want to keep your licence .

I think the biggest deal-breaker for me (and many others) is the small gas tank...

Also, the bike is still too new, so there isn't much of a market for folks looking to pick up a used one at a good price.

I am very happy that I was able to get an '05 FJR ABS (with only 10,000 miles) for the price I paid. I don't think I would be able to find a used Concours for the same price for another few years.

I think the biggest deal-breaker for me (and many others) is the small gas tank...Also, the bike is still too new, so there isn't much of a market for folks looking to pick up a used one at a good price.

I am very happy that I was able to get an '05 FJR ABS (with only 10,000 miles) for the price I paid. I don't think I would be able to find a used Concours for the same price for another few years.
If you look at eBay or Cycle trader, you'll find alot more '08 Concourses on the market that '08 FJRs, especially now that's it's winter, and the going price for a used one is in the $10-11K range. I just sold mine for $10K for an ABS one with a fair amount of farkles.

I think the biggest deal-breaker for me (and many others) is the small gas tank...Also, the bike is still too new, so there isn't much of a market for folks looking to pick up a used one at a good price.

If you look at eBay or Cycle trader, you'll find alot more '08 Concourses on the market that '08 FJRs, especially now that's it's winter, and the going price for a used one is in the $10-11K range. I just sold mine for $10K for an ABS one with a fair amount of farkles.
Agreed.. But, you won't be able to find one for $5000 to $7500 range. Not for another cpl of years.

quote]

That says it all doesnt it?