Coocase or Givi

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Premier Cycle Accessories topbox rack is here: PCA Topbox Rack

You will need the Givi Monokey Mounting Kit here: Givi Mount Kit

A couple of pics:

Givi1.jpg

Givi3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought I'd post some info on a cheap Givi knock-off top box available. Friend at work found it on ebay, and the ST1100 forum has had a lot of good reports on the box. Its the Bestem TopBox, universal style, about the same size as a V46. Comes with an integrated brake light and adapter plate, shipped for $70. Just got it installed. I have the PCA sport touring rack, so I drilled the adapter plate to match up to the threaded holes in the rack. I also got a brake light flasher module off of ebay for $15 and wired that in so the brake light flashes for about 5 secs then burns steady. I painted the bright orange plastic band with some krylon fusion blue paint. Not sure if I like it, I may paint it black.

For that cheap of a price, its worth the experiment.

FJRwithtrunk004.jpg

FJRwithtrunk005a.jpg

With brake light activated, burning steady

FJRwithtrunk006a.jpg

That is a nice alternative. It looks a whole lot like the large trunk sold at JC Whitney, which is a cheap Chinese clone of the GIVI E460 I believe. I had one of those for my Connie, and used it once on the VFR. It is pretty cheesy, but it does snap right on to a GIVI rack and it is 1/3 the price of the real deal.

G_20997G_SW_3.jpg

Just bought the Shad while I was at Daytona; it is a good looking and seems to be a well made case for about 2/3 of what Givi wanted. I paid 377.00 for case mounting plate and backrest and shipping. So I will get it in the mail this week and try to post some pic's.

I already have the Givi E36 side bags and tubular rack system for my VFR, so in preparation for an extended tour this summer I ordered a smaller GIVI trunk for the back. It's an E35N which is a narrower/deeper monokey trunk. I think it will look better on the sporty VFR, and should match up with the utilitarian looking E36's OK. It only cost me $195 shipped from SportTour.com. I also sprung for the back pad for an added $36 for my son's girlfriend's comfort

Oh yeah... I'm a big spender! ;)

E35 case at Sporttour.com

t_32088_01.jpg

One nice thing is it will double duty as a nice "day ride" trunk for when I don't want to put the bigger V46 on the FJR.

[edit] ended up having to cancel this order as it was back ordered indefinitely.

I got the Shad 40 CA from Adventure Moto USA. Didn't need a big box, just a day box, something to keep my wife from exiting and to use occasionally when the side cases are off. The price was right and I liked the way it looked. The builtin rack seemed kinda useful.

SH40_1.jpg

I got the Shad 40 CA from Adventure Moto USA. Didn't need a big box, just a day box, something to keep my wife from exiting and to use occasionally when the side cases are off. The price was right and I liked the way it looked. The builtin rack seemed kinda useful.
SH40_1.jpg

Oh man. I like that one.

Those Shad prices are very attractive.

Maybe I should cancel my order for the Givi (it's backordered).

THe only down side (for me) is the mounting plate is different from Givi. Hmmmm...

I too like the looks of that box. How's the build quality of the Shad products?
I compared GIVI to the SHAD while in Daytona, the vendors were less than a few hundred yards away from each other. So I really got a good chance to look each over and then compare the two. I bought the 50 LTR SHAD, the quality seemed to be on par with the GIVI but at 2/3 the price. The only thing was that GIVI had the case right there and would mount it. I should be getting my SHAD in the mail real soon. They did not charge me with shipping or for the back rest and dropped 10% from the final price. Made it a no brainer.

Hi gang. I'm in the market for a top case, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Givi or Coocase. I've searched this whole site, and while there's plenty to say about Givi, there is not much said about Coocase. I know they're new, but I figured someone would have a more thurough review out here... :)
This is how I would summarize the very little feedback thus far on the Coocase...

1. Good ideas with the luxury liners and lid that won't fall
Verdict is out about the LEDs being useful (too small/few of them)

Autolock & alarm are features that maybe nobody is asking for?

Overall the Coocase looks to be well-made. I don't think the autolock would actually "lock out" a user, since a key can open it in addition to the fob... However, I'm not sure I want to fuss with an alarm... I'm not one for features we don't need (like KIPASS on a Connnie :) )...

We know what we get with the Givi... It does (mostly) everything a good top case should. Does anyone out there with a Coocase have anything that will change my mind?

Later! :punk:
Just installed the SHAD; great quality, lower profile, will hold two modular full face helmets (LG/MED size). Just thought that might be an option for you.

I'm moving my V46 Givi from the VFR to the FJR. It has been a great bag so far. I ordered the SW-Motech rack and the adaptor plate and am expecting the parts next week. I will take photos of install and post for anyone interested. I have the rack and backrest on the Givi, will let you know how it turns out.

I'm moving my V46 Givi from the VFR to the FJR. It has been a great bag so far. I ordered the SW-Motech rack and the adaptor plate and am expecting the parts next week. I will take photos of install and post for anyone interested. I have the rack and backrest on the Givi, will let you know how it turns out.